A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: shakey's - changed dough?  (Read 272 times)

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
shakey's - changed dough?
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:43:06 PM »
They put in a Shakey's a 1/4 mile from the house a couple years ago.  I had a couple pies from them and they reminded me of yesteryear.  Same great crust. 

Recently, I went in and ordered a "thin crust".  I took it home and had it.  The surprise was that the crust lacked any flavor.  It was like NO Flavor crust.  Did they change something or did I order the wrong thing?

Regards
Chuck

Offline Zing

Re: shakey's - changed dough?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
In one of the Shakey's threads in either the American or Cracker Crust section were reports from a few years ago about Shakey's changing the formula. It may have had to do with eliminating trans fats. But the recipes changed often over the years, with different franchisees in different parts of the country making different pizza at the same point in time.

One other possibility is that they used the dough too soon after making it. Try them again after speaking  with the manager.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: shakey's - changed dough?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:02 AM »
In one of the Shakey's threads in either the American or Cracker Crust section were reports from a few years ago about Shakey's changing the formula. It may have had to do with eliminating trans fats. But the recipes changed often over the years, with different franchisees in different parts of the country making different pizza at the same point in time.

One other possibility is that they used the dough too soon after making it. Try them again after speaking  with the manager.

Zing,

You are correct.  Around 2012, due to California health laws, trans fats were to be removed from products in restaurants, which affected the doughs made by places like Shakey's and Round Table. You are also correct in that over the decades, these companies often change their products, sometime subtle, in order to decrease cost or because a supplier has gone out of business.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T