A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Expo 2020  (Read 799 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Pizza Expo 2020
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »
Im putting the seminars on my calendar and several Im interested in are overlapping.

9-11 am
2-4 pm

darn.

How are the $250 classes Sunday and Monday? Are they worth the cost?
Have a Dangerous day!

ďThey say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.Ē  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline jsaras

Re: Pizza Expo 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:24:21 PM »
Iíll be attending on April 1.  Iím not a professional operator, just a pizza geek.  However, I am having some vague, half-baked thoughts about investigating the pizza biz. 

Iím open to suggestions on how to maximize my day. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »
Iíll be attending on April 1.  Iím not a professional operator, just a pizza geek.  However, I am having some vague, half-baked thoughts about investigating the pizza biz. 

Im speaking on a panel from 4-5 that afternoon. The topic is about branding a pizzeria. You should stop by.
Beyond that I find networking on the floor and checking out the demos to be a great use of my time while there.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
Jsaras;
Attend seminars directed at new operators and when on the show floor get as much information from vendors as possible (even "stuff" you don't think you will ever need) then when you get back home organize it in several 3-ring folders for use as a quick reference guide in the future, you'll be glad you did! Also visit with ALL of the different oven companies as well as the dough mixer and pan suppliers their information will be invaluable if you decide to "drop the hammer".
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
I gave up on the pay classes. I will attend maybe 6 of the freebees and that will still leave me with enough time to walk around and network.
Have a Dangerous day!

ďThey say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.Ē  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline jsaras

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
Good tips.  Thanks!!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:15:02 PM »

You've been around long enough AND around here long enough to have heard and read all the pros and cons of getting into the food business, I wish you all the luck in the world with your dreams brother!!!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
Jonas,

I saw this article today at Bloomberg where a well known and successful restaurateur is interviewed about starting a restaurant. His properties are high end but I thought that his comments and suggestions were useful nonetheless:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-06/advice-from-stephen-starr-on-how-to-open-a-successful-restaurant?srnd=premium

Peter

Offline jsaras

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »
Jonas,

I saw this article today at Bloomberg where a well known and successful restaurateur is interviewed about starting a restaurant. His properties are high end but I thought that his comments and suggestions were useful nonetheless:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-06/advice-from-stephen-starr-on-how-to-open-a-successful-restaurant?srnd=premium

Peter

Thanks for the article.  I donít make impulsive decisions on things like this.  I could get capital reasonably easily but I couldnít afford a failure.  I also am realistic about the hundreds of things that I donít know about the food business and the amount of effort it takes to get it going.  If I were to open locally, Iím not sure whether it would connect to the market.  Camarillo is a food wasteland, which represents an opportunity for someone who can bring quality food to the community. 

The local pizza places include an excellent American-style pizzeria (the best conveyor pizza Iíve ever had) with a large sports bar type dining area and incredibly fast delivery, a barely passable NY-style place in a horrible spot and substandard dining area, a tiny place that has a terrific pizza menu, but they bake straight 00 in a deck oven and a brewery that only has bar pies on menu (no other food) and a fast-casual pizzeria.

So the difficult question is what I could bring to the table and then how to make it profitable

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the article.  I donít make impulsive decisions on things like this.  I could get capital reasonably easily but I couldnít afford a failure.  I also am realistic about the hundreds of things that I donít know about the food business and the amount of effort it takes to get it going.  If I were to open locally, Iím not sure whether it would connect to the market.  Camarillo is a food wasteland, which represents an opportunity for someone who can bring quality food to the community. 

The local pizza places include an excellent American-style pizzeria (the best conveyor pizza Iíve ever had) with a large sports bar type dining area and incredibly fast delivery, a barely passable NY-style place in a horrible spot and substandard dining area, a tiny place that has a terrific pizza menu, but they bake straight 00 in a deck oven and a brewery that only has bar pies on menu (no other food) and a fast-casual pizzeria.

So the difficult question is what I could bring to the table and then how to make it profitable

Opening in a food wasteland is high for failure.  I prefer medium size market cities that are up and coming.  They collect people from around the world like big cities and often the competition is steep in number but low in reality.  There must be 100 pizzerias here in Reno but most all are so far from what we do/chains that there really isn't any competition. 
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline jsaras

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »
Opening in a food wasteland is high for failure.  I prefer medium size market cities that are up and coming.  They collect people from around the world like big cities and often the competition is steep in number but low in reality.  There must be 100 pizzerias here in Reno but most all are so far from what we do/chains that there really isn't any competition.

Walter, I totally get your point.  The odd part here is that the wineries are exceptional, but the food isnít on the same level. 

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 11:32:38 PM »
Walter, I totally get your point.  The odd part here is that the wineries are exceptional, but the food isnít on the same level.

I guess you would have to be connected with them in some way and have enough tourists to make it work.  We left Ohio 4.5 years ago and thought of opening a shop outside Columbus but people are use to paying under $10 for a 16" cheese pie.  Here we charge $20 and the cost of living is similar.  The Reno area has around !/2 million people and we get by.  Best to be the funkiest shop in a happening area vs. the king in a small market and struggle to pay the rent.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:04:06 AM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 10:06:47 AM »

Half baked or par baked?

Offline jsaras

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »
Half baked or par baked?

It doesnít matter to me.  I just donít want to get burned

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 02:26:03 PM »
This event has now been postponed until June (see new topic on this board).

wordpress