A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: If I wanted to just buy a 1/2" pizza steel, where would I do that for the least  (Read 528 times)

Offline pizzahelpme

• I Love Pizza!
If I wanted to just buy a 1/2" (is that optimal?) pizza steel, where would I do that for the least amount of money? I'm not sure I have it in me to go to a steel mill and all that right now, haha. Thank you!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Don't know if you have a store call Metal Supermarket near you. I have found my local location to have reasonable prices on steel. They would cut whatever you want to size and picking it up drops the shipping. Shipping these plates is kind of like mailing a flattened out cannonball.

edit: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Remember your back, even at 16"×16" at .5" thick, you'll be bending over with near 40 pounds in your hands at an awkward angle! In comparison, my Fibrament stone is 16"×21" and .75" thick and weighs 22 pounds and can still be uncomfortable!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Steel fabricator
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline tracy

Also something to keep in mind, make sure the racks in your oven can support that kind of weight, especially if you go with 1/2 inch.  I have a 25 pound 3/8 inch steel and the rack it's on noticeably bows.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:47:35 AM by tracy »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Many choices on Amazon. I bought a 3/8" which works great, not sure that a 1/2" would be of much added benefit. You could buy two 1/4 Pizzacraft sheets and use them together or not and only spend $36 today for both delivered. Not sure why it is so cheap at the moment.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Also check out any scrap yard that take metal in your area, we have one near us and I've found some great buys there. For a few extra bucks they'll even cut it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
I wanted one for the lunch room at work. A quick call to the guy who runs the scrap yard yielded a 12 inch diameter piece of 6mm 316 stainless steel. The off cut/plug from plasma cutting a 12 inch hole in a sheet.
Works well in the office toaster oven.
Mick

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Many choices on Amazon. I bought a 3/8" which works great, not sure that a 1/2" would be of much added benefit. You could buy two 1/4 Pizzacraft sheets and use them together or not and only spend $36 today for both delivered. Not sure why it is so cheap at the moment.

I agree that there's probably little added benefit of the 1/2" steel over the 3/8". I went back and forth between the two sizes for awhile before finally deciding on 3/8" and never regretted it. I usually have to dome a 3.5 to 4-minute NY style pizza during the last 15 or 30 seconds, so I wouldn't want one that might radiate even more heat. Plus, the 3/8" is super heavy and awkward enough to move around. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt

I agree that there's probably little added benefit of the 1/2" steel over the 3/8". I went back and forth between the two sizes for awhile before finally deciding on 3/8" and never regretted it. I usually have to dome a 3.5 to 4-minute NY style pizza during the last 15 or 30 seconds, so I wouldn't want one that might radiate even more heat. Plus, the 3/8" is super heavy and awkward enough to move around.

I'm curious, how do you dome a pizza indoors? Under the broiler? I'd be interested to see one of your NY pies.
Matt

Offline Gene in Acadiana

I'm curious, how do you dome a pizza indoors? Under the broiler? I'd be interested to see one of your NY pies.

Yes, I hold it a couple of inches under the broiler, which I usually turn on after two minutes of baking. I have an older Jenn Air that has a gas stovetop and an electric oven which I can get up to about 600 F with the baking steel. I've also experimented with NY style in my Pizza Party Bollore using the gas burner but found I can get more consistent and better results in my regular oven and just leave the PP for Neapolitans which it does best. I hardly ever remember to take photos of my pizzas but will try to next time and post.