A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Adding high ratio of shortening/oil in pan pizza dough  (Read 331 times)

Offline Bogy

• I Love Pizza!
Adding high ratio of shortening/oil in pan pizza dough
« on: February 11, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »
Hello Dough Doctor, I wish you all the best wishes 

Can you advise me what is the best technique for adding (high amount Like 10-15%) of shortening or oil in pan pizza dough to get the most tenderness and softness in the dough ?!

I'm Using High Gluten flour as I use long cold fermentation for 7 days to get more fermentation flavor that i like it

What is your advice, Use Oil or Shortening ?! ... and when add it to the dough ?!
If using shortening, adding it solid or softened or melted ?!

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:10:14 PM by Bogy »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Adding high ratio of shortening/oil in pan pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »
With pan style pizzas using shortening is preferred over oil, the best way to add it is to have it at a temperature between 70 and 80F and just add it right on top of the flour when you begin the dough mixing process. If the amount of shortening is 10% or more it is advisable to withhold the shortening until after the dough has come together in the mixing bowl, then add the shortening and mix just enough to thoroughly incorporate it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Bogy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
Thanks a lot Dough Doctor ,

and i wish you clarify to me , if adding the shortening after the dough has come together , also use shortening in temperature between 70 and 80F or melt it to incorporate well ?!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
Do NOT melt the shortening prior to addition to the dough.

Offline Bogy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 03:16:59 PM »
Thanks a lot

Offline Bogy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
Dr Tom Lehmann,

There is supplier that tell me that they have shortening powder as (Spray Dried Fat Powder) made from palm oil and there is 3 versions for it
One 30% Fat
Second 50% Fat
Third 80% Fat

Which one you suggest for using in my pan pizza dough to achieve that texture inside like this domino's/Papa John's Pan pizza ?!

and what amount%  ?!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
Before answering your question I would like to know what substrate the fat is sprayed on.

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »
Dr Tom Lehmann,

There is supplier that tell me that they have shortening powder as (Spray Dried Fat Powder) made from palm oil and there is 3 versions for it
One 30% Fat
Second 50% Fat
Third 80% Fat

Which one you suggest for using in my pan pizza dough to achieve that texture inside like this domino's/Papa John's Pan pizza ?!

and what amount%  ?!

Sprayed fat powder sounds delicious, I know profit is important but this is why I make my own pizza at home with quality ingredients

Offline Bogy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 05:56:07 PM »
I will call the supplier on phone after tomorrow and ask him about that as it's holiday tomorrow

But while searching about the process of spray dried fats i found that in a book called "Fats and Oils: Formulating and Processing for Applications"

Two types of powdered shortenings are produced:
(1) spray-dried fat emulsions with a carrier, and
(2) spray-chilled or beaded hardfat blends.

The spray-dried powdered shortenings are partially hydrogenated shortenings encapsulated in a water-soluble material. Shortenings can be homogenized in solution with a variety of carriers (e.g., skim milk, corn-syrup solids, sodium caseinate, soy isolate). Emulsifiers may be included with the shortening for finished product functionality. Fat contents usually range from 50 to 80%, depending upon the original emulsion
composition before spray drying.
The spray-dried powdered shortenings are used in some prepared mixes for their ease in blending with the other dry ingredients.

Hardfats can be powdered or beaded without the aid of a carrier. Three principalmethods of forming powder or beaded fats are practiced in the United States: spray chilling, grinding flaked product, and spray flaking and grinding. Spray-chilled
hardfats have a disadvantage regarding feeding or blending accuracy. The spherical shape of the spray-chilled powders may act as roller bearings to give erratic feeding rates with vibratory feeding systems or may stratify in blends of dry materials.Beaded products produced by grinding flakes or spray flaking for immediate grinding have granular shapes that can be metered at uniform rates with vibratory or screw feeders and resist stratification or separation in mixes with other granular materials.

This the supplier website
https://www.tiba-trade.com/products/Fat-Powder

and this another European company website that has some information about that
http://www.castledairy.com/CastleDairyProducts.asp?Section=F&Language=English
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:03:51 PM by Bogy »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
Hard fats like beaded mono-glycerides are not appropriate as they have a melting point that is too high (typically around 136F) you need something with a melting point close to body temperature or it will impart a waxy mouthfeel to the finished product. Do you have a specific reason for wanting to use a more expensive spray dried product than just a blended plastic fat? The more processing steps that go into making a product the more expensive it usually becomes. The products you are looking at are typically used in specific applications like dry mixes.

Offline Bogy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
Thanks a lot Dr Tom for your interest and comment

There is no important reason for using shortening powder instead of shortening (plastic)

But accidentally, I found that supplier and he offered that type of shortening powder as he said it's may performs better than plastic shortening as you can put it direct to the dry mix at any level of fat ratio and and it will distribute inside the dough better

SO, I asked you Dr Tom as i trust with your opinion, thanks a lot again.

wordpress