A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pasta Grannies make Neapolitan Pizza  (Read 806 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Pasta Grannies make Neapolitan Pizza
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:41:17 AM »
Love this channel. Maybe not what we'd call "Neapolitan" but if they call it that, then it is - 100%. I think I'm going to try this for the February 2020 challenge.

Offline jsaras

Re: Pasta Grannies make Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
The dough formula translates to:

00 Flour - 100%
Water - 50%
Oil 3.25%
Salt - 1.8%
Cake Yeast - 0.6%

They mentioned a 2-hour rise time.  Using Craig's yeast chart, that would make it a 79F+ day in Italy.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »
Love this channel. Maybe not what we'd call "Neapolitan" but if they call it that, then it is - 100%. I think I'm going to try this for the February 2020 challenge.

I love that channel as well. Great insight into the difference in pasta making between the south and central/northern parts of Italy. South is almost exclusively semolina rimacinata (very finely milled semolina) with water and sometimes eggs, while most other parts of Italy it is 00 and eggs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:06:54 PM by ebpizza »

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 09:16:05 PM »
I look forward to the new video every Friday.  Vicky said this episode would air sometime after the New Year.  Knowing it was Ischia SD, I have been looking forward to it.  Perhaps not VPN but certainly Neapolitan in that its's natural yeast, a WFO and 00 flour made off the coast of Naples.

It looks like it was shot in the summer so 79 degrees is not out of the question.  I bet they don't worry about the exactness of measurements as much as we do and make it by feel. 

Bill, how about the March challenge as February is half over!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 09:37:54 PM »
Bill, how about the March challenge as February is half over!

sk,

The February challenge is to make a pizza that you have never baked before. I have never baked a pizza exactly like this, so that is why I will be doing this one as my February entry.   

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 10:54:21 PM »
That is not how I have been pronouncing Ischia in my head for the last 10 years. When I hear the proper pronunciation of Italian words, I can't help but laugh.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
That is not how I have been pronouncing Ischia in my head for the last 10 years. When I hear the proper pronunciation of Italian words, I can't help but laugh.

The only pronunciation of "Ischia" that I noticed was from the English narrator of the video, which was not very accurate.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
The only pronunciation of "Ischia" that I noticed was from the English narrator of the video, which was not very accurate.

Rolls
Well then maybe I'm closer to correct than I thought. I gave the narrator the benefit of the doubt. Is there somewhere you know where I could hear the correct pronunciation?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »
Jon,

See:

and

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »
Peter answered my question.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:10:08 AM »

I've been toying with the idea of doing deep dish instead of turkey and gravy pizza  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
Italian words beginning with an "i"  generally have a "long e" sound, phonetically similar to "eat" or "eel" rather than a "short i" sound as in the word "igloo". 

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
I think it's absolutely amazing to see how causally they go about making pizza.  It seems that many of us (me including) tend to get caught in the details, how many milligrams of yeast, what temperature, how many hours, and they just bake it once a week with old dough and plop it in a pan and then into the oven on top of the coals.  For 25 persons no less, and I love their kitchen and the view..

One or two details I noticed listening to the Italian.

The presenter is talking about sourdough and starter, which I suppose is right in a way.  Still the man talks about "crescito/criscito" which is what we call old dough.  So basically when they make bread or pizza they make some extra which they keep until they bake next time.  Of course over the years that will most certainly be a sourdough (even an authentic Ischia one), but it will also contain salt and in this case oil.

In the beginning Gioconda says that today is pizza in teglia day, and we will make napoletana, margherita, rosmarino, to sum it up, in all flavors.

In this case "napoletana" might mean a marinara with added anchovy.  It's hard to know as pizza and it's styles and names vary greatly in Italy.  If I'm not mistaken in Rome the marinara + anchovy is called a pizza napolitana, while in Naples it's called a pizza romana..  Sometimes whole capers are also added.

Never mind that these terms also refer to normal Roman vs Neapolitan styles :D
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
but it will also contain salt and in this case oil.

My grandmother rarely, if ever, fed her starter flour. She would stick leftover bread in it after meals. I still remember the first time I ever saw here do it. It was a leftover do-nut from breakfast.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
What I find unique about their pizza, and what is inspiring me to try this for the Feb. Challenge, is placing the pan directly on the coals. You can see how warped the pans have gotten. I've got a thick carbon steel one that I think I'll try.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »
The pans appear to be very thin which I think is accentuating the warp a lot. It's hard to say for sure, but the entire bake may not be on the coals. The pan is much closer to the door when he removed if from the oven as compared to where he launched it, and there were very few coals under it.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
Thanks Peter and Rolls. Turns out I wasn't close after all. I was always:

Ish she ah

Not sure why, but that's how I read it. Sch in English has a k sound to it like in school, but I cant think of a work where the sch isn't at the beginning. Anyhow, always get a smile at how far off I can get.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »
Is it served cold? Apparently it's ready to be eaten when you can pick up the pan with your bare hands.

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
My grandmother rarely, if ever, fed her starter flour. She would stick leftover bread in it after meals. I still remember the first time I ever saw here do it. It was a leftover do-nut from breakfast.

Wow, that's a nice memory!
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »
The pans appear to be very thin which I think is accentuating the warp a lot. It's hard to say for sure, but the entire bake may not be on the coals. The pan is much closer to the door when he removed if from the oven as compared to where he launched it, and there were very few coals under it.

These kind of pans are thin, I'd guess about 1mm 3/64".  They're made from a material called ferro blu (blue iron), which is just iron and needs to be protected from humidity by a layer of seed oil that is brushed onto it very finely and then burnt (crystallized) in the oven.  This also makes them non stick.
Jack,