A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 50lb bag of KABF is finally done - GM All trumps or Pillsbury Best Bakers?  (Read 758 times)

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
I'm lucky enough to live close to a flour distributor that carries a wide range of flours. I've spent the last two days searching the forum trying to figure out what flour to get next. I've decided to get a bromated flour this time to see how it impacts NY style pies. All trumps, Best Bakers and a few others come up over and over. Can anyone make a recommendation between the two? I'm leaning to all trumps because they have 25lb bags, it took me ~2 years to go through 50 lbs.

Thanks

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: 50lb bag of KABF is finally done - GM All trumps or Pillsbury Best Bakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:27:04 AM »
it took me ~2 years to go through 50 lbs.

If you're serious about improving your pizza making, it may be best to not hold yourself back over a couple bucks worth of flour.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:31 AM »
If you're serious about improving your pizza making, it may be best to not hold yourself back over a couple bucks worth of flour.

What do you mean? My impressions was that flour didn't go bad as long as it wasn't bugged, was frozen for a month and then stored.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
I mean if you want to try another flour and only have room for one bag, it's OK to throw a few pounds away and not wait until you use every last bit.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm lucky enough to live close to a flour distributor that carries a wide range of flours. I've spent the last two days searching the forum trying to figure out what flour to get next. I've decided to get a bromated flour this time to see how it impacts NY style pies. All trumps, Best Bakers and a few others come up over and over. Can anyone make a recommendation between the two? I'm leaning to all trumps because they have 25lb bags, it took me ~2 years to go through 50 lbs.

Thanks

I recommend buying a bag of All Trumps. It's known as "the" flour for NYC pizza. I buy the 50 lb bag and it doesn't sit around for long.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »
Having used all trumps bleached bromated, It's exceptional.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:53:55 PM »
I'm not a pro, so filter that in, but I love GM Full Strength.  I went to it on a recommendation from a pro.  I went through a couple of bags of GM All Trumps, and loved some of my bakes... but I had real consistency problems with the small batches made for home pizza making.  Full Strength has been good to me for pizza, rolls and bread.  BTW I solved the 50# bag problem by sharing with a pizza making friend.  Together we go through about 5 bags a year.
All the best, Dave

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »
I'm not a pro, so filter that in, but I love GM Full Strength.  I went to it on a recommendation from a pro.  I went through a couple of bags of GM All Trumps, and loved some of my bakes... but I had real consistency problems with the small batches made for home pizza making.  Full Strength has been good to me for pizza, rolls and bread.  BTW I solved the 50# bag problem by sharing with a pizza making friend.  Together we go through about 5 bags a year.

I considered Full Strength too, but its only -0.1% less protein content. KABF isn't making my Detroit style too chewy yet so I think I can safely go up a bit to improve ny style dough. Sadly I don't have the space to have multiple 50 lb bags.

All trumps should be fine for Detroit and Sicilian style pies right?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »

Dave,

I would recommend GM Full Strength too.  It's good for my NY style and Detroit style pizzas and also other kinds of Sicilian pizzas. 

Norma

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
What do you mean? My impressions was that flour didn't go bad as long as it wasn't bugged, was frozen for a month and then stored.

Yep.  A 50lb bag of AT is $17.
John

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
I considered Full Strength too, but its only -0.1% less protein content. KABF isn't making my Detroit style too chewy yet so I think I can safely go up a bit to improve ny style dough. Sadly I don't have the space to have multiple 50 lb bags.

All trumps should be fine for Detroit and Sicilian style pies right?

It's 1.6% difference between All Trumps 14.2%  and Full Strength 12.6%. It is also different kinds of wheat blended in FS.

You can make Detroit and Sicilian with All Trumps.

They recommend Full strength for Detroit, Sicilian and Thick American.
All Trumps is recommended fo "New York Style Thin"
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
Went to my baking supply place and left with a 50lb bag of GM Full Strength for $15 with tax included. The gentleman in the office spent a good 10 to 15 minutes talking flour with me, said full strength isn't something that is normally used for pizza. He then recommended ADM Spring up or ADM Commander next time, said I would be happier with them and they are a little cheaper and more common for pizza use.  They don't carry Pillsbury Best Bakers.

I went to twin bakery supply in buffalo NY if anyone comes across this via google.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
Went to my baking supply place and left with a 50lb bag of GM Full Strength for $15 with tax included. The gentleman in the office spent a good 10 to 15 minutes talking flour with me, said full strength isn't something that is normally used for pizza. He then recommended ADM Spring up or ADM Commander next time, said I would be happier with them and they are a little cheaper and more common for pizza use.  They don't carry Pillsbury Best Bakers.

I went to twin bakery supply in buffalo NY if anyone comes across this via google.

General Mills specifically calls out the types of pizza it recommends their flours for and we have many people using it for pizza in this forum. Either he doesn't know much about the products he sells or maybe he makes more $ on a pallet of ADM than a pallet of GM.

I think I will pick up a bag of FS and see how it works for some of my other pizza styles.
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 11:21:45 PM »

General Mills specifically calls out the types of pizza it recommends their flours for and we have many people using it for pizza in this forum. Either he doesn't know much about the products he sells or maybe he makes more $ on a pallet of ADM than a pallet of GM.

I think I will pick up a bag of FS and see how it works for some of my other pizza styles.

I doubt he was worried about the difference in profit with the volume they do, he normally only sells full strength by the pallet.  He didn't say it wasn't for pizza, just not something he normally sees used for pizza. It went along with how GM flours in this area aren't selling like they used to - he had nothing bad to say about the full strength. I should have asked him what he normally sells to pizza shops but I had to run when the guy came walking out with the flour on his shoulder. I took it as the local pizza places use spring up because it's cheaper and are happy with it. I've never spoken flour like that with someone face to face so it was nice.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
He didn't say it wasn't for pizza, just not something he normally sees used for pizza.

Norma uses FS and makes great pizza.
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »

Yes, I seem to remember something about her winning the Caputo Cup for NY Style pizza using FS...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:22:44 AM by TXCraig1 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »

Thanks Hans!

Yes, I seem to remember something about her winning the Caputo Cup for NY Style pizza using FS...

Craig,

Yes, did use the Full Strength to win the Caputo Cup in 2016.

Norma

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »

Exactly why I took her recommendation and got the FS  :)

wordpress