A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Having issues stretching dough? Seems to stretch unevenly.  (Read 477 times)

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Having issues stretching dough? Seems to stretch unevenly.
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
Over the past few weeks I've made more pizza then I want to admit. The last 2-3 just haven't gone well though and I can't figure out what's causing it.

I made the serious eats pizza dough in my food processor. I used GM Full Strength, processed it, then kneaded a few times and put the dough in the fridge to ferment for 24, 48 and 72 hours in delitainers.

The 24 hour dough didn't stretch evenly, certain spots got paper thin while others were much thicker. The following day the same thing happened to the 48 hour dough. I gave the 24 hour dough 2 hours at room temp before working. The 48 hour dough had 4 hours at room temp before working. I thought it was an uneven temp in the dough but I guess not.

The three changes from my normal process here was:

1) Letting the dough get a thicker skin while proofing. I left it fully exposed to the air in the hopes of cutting down sticking to my metal peel.
2) Using a food processor to mix the dough VS the stand mixer I normally use.
3) Not balling the dough before the cold ferment.

After writing this out I feel like the thicker skin may be causing this - yet my reading says the skin is beneficial to a good launch.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Having issues stretching dough? Seems to stretch unevenly.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:04:11 AM »
As I was reading your post I wondered about how well you had balled your dough. You answered it. You might try making 2 next time, one just as you describe above and another balled well with no skin allowed to develop. Then try stretching and baking both after the same number of hours of CF and warm up time and see how they compare. Pictures would help, of course.
-Tony

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »
If you're not scaling and balling before the CF period, when are you scaling and balling? Also, how much fermentation is the dough getting in ball form between balling and opening? An I missing something in your procedure?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
If you're not scaling and balling before the CF period, when are you scaling and balling? Also, how much fermentation is the dough getting in ball form between balling and opening? An I missing something in your procedure?

The dough is divided and just put into delitainers after its portioned (it is very lightly balled here, but i'm not going for tension or anything). The only time the dough sits well balled is when its coming up the room temp before getting stretched, so 2hrs for the 24hr dough, and i did 4hrs the second time.

I'm guessing I should be balling after portioning and again when bringing it out to get to room temp?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »
I think you need more hours between when you last balled your dough and the time at which you want to open or stretch it. 5-6 hrs minimum is what I do but sometimes it is a couple days if there has been a long cold ferment. I think anything under 4 hours is going to make it difficult for you. Not all of those hours need to be spent tempering at room temperature, but more total hours since the time you balled it. Unless you have a specific reason for balling more than once, I would do it only once after scaling just before CF.
-Tony

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »
Spot-on!
My suggestion would be to ball it immediately after mixing (when you scale it) and then lightly oil the containers, drop the dough ball into the container, lightly oil the top of the dough ball, leave the top of the container off when you place it into the fridge until the internal dough ball temperature reaches 55F/12.8C, then apply the lid for the duration of the CF period. When ready to use the dough, remove from fridge and allow to temper to 50F/10C, then begin opening the dough ball(s) into skins. You will want to experiment with the final temperature (50F/10C) as some find it easier to open into skins at a slightly higher temperature. You probably won't want to go more than 65F/18.3C though.