A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Book for Absolute Beginner?  (Read 462 times)

Offline sjm1580

• I Love Pizza!
Book for Absolute Beginner?
« on: March 01, 2020, 08:25:58 AM »
Hoping I can get a good book recommendation for a complete neophyte, covering wood fired oven pizza, with a concentration on dough recipes?  Unfortunately I have very little cooking experience, so a book covering the basics would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Book for Absolute Beginner?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »
Pizza bible by tony g is a good start

Offline mlb353

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
Tony Gemignani's Pizza Bible is what I've kinda started with. It has a section on using a wood fire oven, specifically in the section of his book covering Napoletana Pizza's. He also has a lot of different dough's you can try for the different pizza recipes in their. There's a Master class dough, Einkorn dough, and organic dough, just to name a few of them. I don't have a ton of pizza experience, before the Pizza Bible I only made a few homemade pizza's, and none of them very special, but I've been using the book a lot recently and my pizza's have never been better. That'd be my recommendation.

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:00:40 PM »
Honestly, don't bother with cookbooks. You'll get better information AND FEEDBACK here than you will from any book. Take the money you'd have spent on cookbooks, throw a few bux Steve's way to support pizzamaking.com, buy yourself a 1 gram resolution and a .01 gram resolution scale with the rest, and dive into the Neapolitian and Pizza Oven subforums.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »
The problem with most pizza books is that they are written to deliver a high probability of marginal success for the widest range of readers possible. Great pizza is very specific to the person and his/her unique situation. The most important thing you can do to learn to make great pizza is make pizza. There is no substitute for experience, and no book can give it to you.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
I agree, for me a recipe is just a starting point, the rest comes with experience, and depending on your goals a good oven! :D

Also this forum is way more useful than any book I've ever read (4 to 5 by now)!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
Many libraries now have E Books for free and have added capacity due to the current virus. You can read lots of books and if you find one you really need, then buy it. I've read or reread several of them recently.

I like using a book when first learning because going on the forum gives you way too much input and can be mind boggling on deciding whose advice to follow. So picking one source and succeeding or failing on that is your best way to start. Then start picking up tips here.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 05:42:34 PM »
That is IMO also good advice!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.