A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: March/April 2020 Monthly Challenge: Make something from leftover pizza dough  (Read 1947 times)

Offline nickyr

My dad’s neighbor and I made rotolo with leftover dough before we had to shelter in place. But I forgot to take a picture of it :-(

Here’s a recipe (not one we followed) for anyone curious—I hadn’t heard of it before.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pizzeria-vetri-rotolo

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Sounds great. We'll have to have some pizza too!
finally spring cleaning the shop.... These are the 2 stones we talked about Jon.   ;).     https://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-21roundx34.aspx
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
finally spring cleaning the shop.... These are the 2 stones we talked about Jon.   ;).     https://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-21roundx34.aspx
Thanks for remembering. I'm sorry report that 21 inch round would be too big for my oven. Just measured an I think 19 would be touching the back wall and door. With the rack in, I think 14.5" is the deepest I could go. I'm sorry these won't fit. That sucks. These look awesome.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
That kind of stretched log is often called a panuozzo in some parts of Italy.

It's great to slice open like a book, then top with meat/veggies/cheeze and grill in the oven.  Once done maybe add some fresh veggies and just fold it back together and enjoy a super tasty grilled sandwich!
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog

That kind of stretched log is often called a panuozzo in some parts of Italy.

It's great to slice open like a book, then top with meat/veggies/cheeze and grill in the oven.  Once done maybe add some fresh veggies and just fold it back together and enjoy a super tasty grilled sandwich!

Makes sense that there's a name for that. It does make a good sandwich. Ive never toasted one though, sound like a good idea

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Scallion-chile bread from leftover NYC-style dough. Baked in Breville:

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I don't think this challenge topic has run its course. How about we extend it for another month? Let's see more ideas for making good use of leftover dough.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Does leftover flour count? I found a 2 year old or so repack of Caputo Metro sitting I'm my garage. Chucked it into the freezer for a week and then made 600g of SD dough. About 80% HR. Made a 300g breadzza and some sort of NY/Sicilian pie. Seemed to work out O.K.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Does leftover flour count? I found a 2 year old or so repack of Caputo Metro sitting I'm my garage. Chucked it into the freezer for a week and then made 600g of SD dough. About 80% HR. Made a 300g breadzza and some sort of NY/Sicilian pie. Seemed to work out O.K.

Looks wonderful!!!! At this point, leftover anything counts. We're all using whatever ingredients are at hand. Just go for it. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
more than qualified, you overachiever.  👍🏼🔥

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Actually I can participate to this challenge, because recently I've been making 3x250g balls, and as it's always 500g-flour batch I always have a small ball left (100g or less).
So what do I do with this small ball? Une pizzette!  ;D Una pizzetta ^^
Usually I want to keep it for my 5-years-old daughter but eventually I use this chance to make myself a pizza they don't like - with anchovies  :angel: :angel:

PS: the pics are from February but I make them every time I bake pizza anyway  ::)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:46:49 PM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
This is, in fact, left over pizza dough. Marked 7/19 and pulled out of my small chest freezer. Don't know what the details are, but it turned into a breadzza just fine. About 320g.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Gotta admit, I was shocked when I sliced 9 month old frozen dough breadzza open this evening. I thought it looked A.O.K. It'll mostly get toasted. Tuna melt tonight!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:53:58 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
The resulting Tuna Melt. Cheapo water packed tuna, drained, some EVOO, oregano and capers added. WMLM mozz melted on top and some red pepper flakes. Pretty tasty.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
More of that two year old+ Caputo Metro flour. A bit of one of those log type "fresh" mozz, Margartia Natural Casing Pepperoni, spiced up crushed tomatoes, pecorino Toscana, and fresh basil. I liked it.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
So what is the May Challenge going to be?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
So what is the May Challenge going to be?

Suggestions?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy

Grocery store bought dough ball... show how pizza makers can can kick it up a notch.... (dough ball does not necessarily have to be made into a pizza).

Offline nickyr

Scallion pancakes with extra sourdough starter

Offline nickyr

Suggestions?
Something weird you had to do to a pizza because of covid-19

Edit: to be more of a challenge, make a pizza even though you can’t do something the right way because of covid-19