A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sweet Basil  (Read 446 times)

Offline tag1260

• I Love Pizza!
Sweet Basil
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:12:40 PM »
 Questions on Basil.
1. Do you use Sweet Basil or Genovese ?
2. Do you bake it or put it on after you take it out of the oven?

Thanks

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Sweet Basil
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 10:08:46 PM »
1. I didn't know there was a sweet basil! What's the difference?
2. You can bake it or add it after. Both schools exist.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:56:11 PM »
I only know of one sort.  For a 60-second Neapolitan it goes on the pizza, under some cheese.  For other styles, it goes on after the bake.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »
There are a lot of types of basil. I've used several, but mostly don't pay that much attention to the variety as you really have to seek out the various types. My favorite is Thai Basil, which works obviously in Thai stir frys or perhaps some Basil Chicken on pizza. Lots of times when eating out Thai food people will push the Basil to the side of the plate and I'll gladly swoop in and take it.

Preference for me on Pizza is to do a quick pesto out of it and put it direct on dough before cheese, etc.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »
There are a lot of types of basil. I've used several, but mostly don't pay that much attention to the variety as you really have to seek out the various types. My favorite is Thai Basil, which works obviously in Thai stir frys or perhaps some Basil Chicken on pizza. Lots of times when eating out Thai food people will push the Basil to the side of the plate and I'll gladly swoop in and take it.

Preference for me on Pizza is to do a quick pesto out of it and put it direct on dough before cheese, etc.

Yes, well, apart from "regular" basil and Thai basil, I don't know the others  ???

You absolutely cannot change the regular one for the Thai one though, a couple of times my suppliers delivered me the wrong one, first I didn't pay attention, and it doesn't blend with a Margherita  :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
I like lemon basil as a change, I think its more closely related to the standard Thai stuff.  Or Greek basil is nice too and seems to grow better here than some other types, at least with my horticultural ability :-D It has very small leaves but is similar to the normal basil in taste

I thought sweet was the same as genovese? maybe different sized leaf but very similar. I like it in any order, although if I am using a lot of it I'll put it under the cheese, if just a couple of leaves then on top.

wordpress