A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Razza’s Dan Richer Cookbook (2021)  (Read 355 times)

Offline Haruni

• A life of pie
Razza’s Dan Richer Cookbook (2021)
« on: March 10, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »
Just came across a social media post announcing Dan Richer is currently writing a cookbook that will see a 2021 release. As someone who really respects what Razza is doing, I’m curious if this book will offer any real insights into the dough process at the restaurant for both the pizza and the bread. Or home recipes? I guess we shall see but I’m intrigued.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Razza’s Dan Richer Cookbook (2021)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »
I agree... on my most recent trip to NY his dough was probably the best I have ever had in a pizzeria.   Im hoping we get the nitty gritty details of what he is doing at razza!

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
I’m curious if this book will offer any real insights into the dough process at the restaurant for both the pizza and the bread. Or home recipes? I guess we shall see but I’m intrigued.

Unless he's self-publishing, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »
On my trip there he was very open about his process. I hope it's a good book, as Scott wrote, the pizza is really good.
Hans

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 11:13:58 PM »
Unless he's self-publishing, I wouldn't hold my breath.
do you mean it will only come to fruition if he foots the bill........
Or... If he had publisher, they won't include all the bits and pieces.
Thank you
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:16:07 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 10:32:55 AM »
do you mean it will only come to fruition if he foots the bill........
Or... If he had publisher, they won't include all the bits and pieces.
Thank you
Bob,

I remember Evelyne Slomon moaning and groaning about restrictions that her publisher put on her book, and possibly a later book she had in mind. Here are some of her posts on the matter:

Reply 14 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3443.msg29359;topicseen#msg29359,

Reply 424 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3944.msg28747#msg28747,

Reply 47 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3489.msg31563#msg31563,

Reply 298 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1258.msg37081#msg37081,

Reply 307 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1258.msg38381#msg38381,

Reply 1 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5000.msg42171#msg42171

Peter

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:39 AM »
I agree... on my most recent trip to NY his dough was probably the best I have ever had in a pizzeria.   Im hoping we get the nitty gritty details of what he is doing at razza!

Wow, considering your pizza and where you've eaten that's high praise! In your opinion what makes it better? Also, I'm guessing you said in a pizzeria because of volume and consistency, is that right?

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »
Jeff, your too kind!   Nothing special going on here, although I have traveled a lot for pizza :). Chris Bianco told me this many years ago before I had a pizzeria and at the time it surprised me.   He said that us as home pizza makers have the advantage and the ability to make better pizza.   I think there are a multitude of reasons for this, but the main one is that we can make our pizza when the dough has been perfectly fermented, where as in a restaurant your always having to sell pizzas when the dough isn't absolutely perfectly fermented, even with cold fermentation.   more than 2 or 3 batches of dough a day of room temp ferments just doesnt make sense, and many pizzerias are open for 12 hours a day.   

The pizza I had at Razza seemed to be right on the bullseye to me (although dan commented that it was a little before its prime when I was there just as he opened his doors).

The pizza at razza was incredibly tender inside, soft and fluffy.   On the outside it had a crunch and the slices could just barely stand on their own if held from the cornicione (unlike Neapolitan).  The flavor was just enough that I could tell it was made with wild yeast, but in no way sour or tangy.  Im not a fan of sourdough pizzas where I can taste any sourness, unless they are white pizzas, so this was perfect for my tastes.   I prefer a more zesty or slightly tangy tomato than having that come from my crust.  We all have our preferences and razza was exactly what I like.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:43:43 PM by scott r »

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
Jeff, your too kind!   Nothing special going on here, although I have traveled a lot for pizza :). Chris Bianco told me this many years ago before I had a pizzeria and at the time it surprised me.   He said that us as home pizza makers have the advantage and the ability to make better pizza.   I think there are a multitude of reasons for this, but the main one is that we can make our pizza when the dough has been perfectly fermented, where as in a restaurant your always having to sell pizzas when the dough isn't absolutely perfectly fermented, even with cold fermentation.   more than 2 or 3 batches of dough a day of room temp ferments just doesnt make sense, and many pizzerias are open for 12 hours a day.   

The pizza I had at Razza seemed to be right on the bullseye to me (although dan commented that it was a little before its prime when I was there just as he opened his doors).

The pizza at razza was incredibly tender inside, soft and fluffy.   On the outside it had a crunch and the slices could just barely stand on their own if held from the cornicione (unlike Neapolitan).  The flavor was just enough that I could tell it was made with wild yeast, but in no way sour or tangy.  Im not a fan of sourdough pizzas where I can taste any sourness, unless they are white pizzas, so this was perfect for my tastes.   I prefer a more zesty or slightly tangy tomato than having that come from my crust.  We all have our preferences and razza was exactly what I like.

Thanks for the detailed reply. That all makes sense. Even with my limited commercial experience with my pizza trailer, I noticed that to a degree.

It sounds like our tastes are very similar-I look forward to trying your pizza one day!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
Me too, Scott!

There are some pizzas that are unforgettable...Dan's, Brian's at Apizza Scholls, Rosie's at Pt Beach..and some I still need to try.like Bianco..hoping to maybe try Mozza next month.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 09:29:42 PM »
We are so lucky to have such high quality and diverse pizzerias these days!  Cant wait to try Rosies some day.   

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 05:23:55 AM »
Scott...I meant to write Me too, Jeff. Meaning I'd love to try your pizzas, Scott.

Yes Scott..I would have loved to take you to Rosie's when I was in NJ. Hans and I would get some great pizza when he was in town. But we didnt make it to Rosie's. Hopefully you'll both get there. :)