A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First Attempt at Lehmann Dough - How Much Should It Rise?  (Read 489 times)

Offline Nick Danger

• Newbie Pizza Maker
    • Nick Danger, Third Eye
First Attempt at Lehmann Dough - How Much Should It Rise?
« on: March 18, 2020, 01:32:24 AM »
Hello all,

I'm very new to making pizza, and I decided to try Pete-zza's modified Lehmann NY style dough formulation from https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2223.msg19563#msg19563

I was very careful weighing out the ingredients, so I'm confident I got the proportions correct. It's currently fermenting in the refrigerator, where it's been for about 26 hours now.

My question at this stage is: How much should the dough be rising in the refrigerator? After more than a day, I don't think it's doubled in size yet. I know there isn't a lot of yeast in this recipe, so perhaps I shouldn't expect much of a rise. Will it rise more when it comes up to room temperature for a few hours before I bake it?

My only other experience making pizza dough was with a recipe from America's Test Kitchen that uses more yeast, has sugar, and is made in a food processor instead of a stand mixer. That dough rises a lot - more than doubling in a 1 or 2 day ferment. I've had inconsistent results with that recipe (probably due more to my poor technique) so it made sense to try one of the popular recipes on this forum.

I guess I'll know if I have a problem with this dough or not when it comes time to stretch it. That's the hardest part for me right now.

Nick
No anchovies? You've got the wrong man. I spell my name DANGER!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: First Attempt at Lehmann Dough - How Much Should It Rise?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:01:12 AM »
My dough balls barely rise at all in the refrigerator. Let your doughballs warm to 50 - 60 before stretching.
Hans

A D V E R T I S E M E N T