A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: OH The Cheese! Got access to Restaurant Depot!  (Read 996 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
OH The Cheese! Got access to Restaurant Depot!
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
So my father in law opened a RD account and gave me a card! I went a few weeks ago and bought a package of supremo italiano LM whole milk shredded. It is VERY good. It seems to have a higher melt temp though. I cooked a few at just below 500 and the cheese did not fully melt after 9 minutes. Then I cooked at 550 and it melted fine at 7 and 8 minutes.

So I went back today hoping to find a 5lb brick of the polly-o low moisture, but they don't carry that, only a smoked version. I ended up getting these. The supremo italiano shredded resembled polly-o taste well. I can't wait to crack these babies open and compare.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: OH The Cheese! Got access to Restaurant Depot!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 04:47:19 PM »
very cool, let us know what you think

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
Although it will be several months before you go through all that cheese, both pale in comparison to Saputo Premium Gold, which is available at the RD near me.  Note that using good plastic wrap on the opened end will preserve the cheese for quite some time.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
Nah 3-4 weeks lol. I started making 2 16" pizzas and 1 16" breadstick pizza every week. I generally use about a pound of cheese for each 16". I will check for Saputo premium gold, but the name did not ring a bell while I was looking. They had lots of fresh mozzarella. On a side note when I get these blocks of cheese I have a hard time not cutting off chunks and just eating them lmao. Plus I will likely just use it for other stuff now too.

All I know is the supremo italiano trumps all cheese I was able to get prior to now. I can always ask if they can order Saputo if they don't have it. I know last time I went I asked if they carried KASL flour and they currently don't, but he said he could look into it.

I was really hoping they carried Grande as I want to try that, but they don't. Me being a cheese lover, it was like a kid in a candy store looking at all the different import cheeses and such.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:01:48 PM »
Nah 3-4 weeks lol. I started making 2 16" pizzas and 1 16" breadstick pizza every week. I generally use about a pound of cheese for each 16". I will check for Saputo premium gold, but the name did not ring a bell while I was looking. They had lots of fresh mozzarella. On a side note when I get these blocks of cheese I have a hard time not cutting off chunks and just eating them lmao. Plus I will likely just use it for other stuff now too.

All I know is the supremo italiano trumps all cheese I was able to get prior to now. I can always ask if they can order Saputo if they don't have it. I know last time I went I asked if they carried KASL flour and they currently don't, but he said he could look into it.

I was really hoping they carried Grande as I want to try that, but they don't. Me being a cheese lover, it was like a kid in a candy store looking at all the different import cheeses and such.

They should carry Grain Craft Power Flour, which is better than KASL in my experience.  The 13% protein is a sweet spot for NY-style pizza.  Grain Craft Mondako is also good at 12% protein. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:03:22 PM »
They should carry Grain Craft Power Flour, which is better than KASL in my experience.  The 13% protein is a sweet spot for NY-style pizza.  Grain Craft Mondako is also good at 12% protein.

Funny you should mention power flour. I remember that from "The Pizza Bible" and was going to see if they had that next time I go. I just bought a new 50lb bag of KASL about a month ago so it will be awhile before I need flour.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »
Vac pack and freeze in 1 pound chunks, holds up very well for several months!
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:37:53 AM »
Supremo Italiano was average to me.

Galabani was exceptional in my experience.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
Nah 3-4 weeks lol. I started making 2 16" pizzas and 1 16" breadstick pizza every week. I generally use about a pound of cheese for each 16". 

That's a whole lotta cheese, I'm at 8-10 ozs for the same size pie. But as a 60+ guy and, after reading about the health challenges many of our fellow forum members have reported due to eating pizza frequently,  I'm pretty cautious with my diet.

I see we're both in ny, if you don't mind, where is the rd?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
That's a whole lotta cheese, I'm at 8-10 ozs for the same size pie. But as a 60+ guy and, after reading about the health challenges many of our fellow forum members have reported due to eating pizza frequently,  I'm pretty cautious with my diet.

QD.  There is one in Waterbury CT right off 84.  Scott or Austin road exits would get you there.  Depending on where the NY one is CT might be closer.
Deb

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »

I'm near Rochester. This one I believe would be considered Henrietta location. Take the 390 south to Jefferson rd (252) exit. Turn East which the way I go is a left and it's the first left at the end.

80 Ridgeland Rd, Rochester, NY 14623

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »
thanks deb and iceman,  we're in northern westchester, so we have a couple that are closer.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
The Albany RD is now open to the public.
John

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 10:42:15 PM »
The Albany RD is now open to the public.

Is that due to the current covid-19 situation? I was wondering if places like RD would open to the public to move out stock since restaurants are clearly not buying much.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »
Is that due to the current covid-19 situation? I was wondering if places like RD would open to the public to move out stock since restaurants are clearly not buying much.

Yes.
John

Offline colebg

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 08:22:38 AM »
One of the RD's near me in Langhorn, pa is open to the public. They said I just need to show my drivers license and that there all out of toilet paper lol I'm just going for the pizza ingredients.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »
Ok so today I made some pizza. I went with the Galbani professionale. I did not do a side by side comparison but it was only last week I ate the shredded Supremo Italiano. While the Galbani is good I do believe the Supremo is much better. I will likely do a more in depth test next week and compare the two cheeses together but I'm 90% sure my decision has been made. That is if I can find some yeast. Come on people! These were the 7 minute bakes today. Oven set to 550 but popped them in at 535 to make sure oven did not stop calling for heat.

The first is cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, and onions. Let oven/steel reheat for 9 minutes before popping 2nd one in. This was cheese, mushrooms, half pepperoni. Only let oven/steel reheat for 3 minutes before tossing the last one in which is my breadsticks. No sauce, just dough, sprinkle garlic powder over it, and add cheese.

I will say the Galbani brick shredded very nice. I hope the Supremo shreds just as nice. One more thing to note shredding my own cheese I getter better coverage with less cheese. This was just over 2lbs of cheese compared to when I use pre-shredded. Normally I would use around 3 lbs for these.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:59:35 PM by icemanxp300 »

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 05:42:33 AM »
Vac pack and freeze in 1 pound chunks, holds up very well for several months!

For a few reasons, I've been away from pizza making for several months.  With the recent crisis, I figure this is a great time to get back in the swing of things.

So I've been doing a deep dive in my freezer.  I found three one-pound chunks of mozza down in the nether regions that are labeled Feb '19.  If they might be usable, I'd like to give them a try.  If I can avoid it, I'd just as soon not have to make a trip to RD.
--pat--

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
Because all the restaurants have closed in NC, My RD in Cary, NC is allowing the general public in and providing a one day pass. I recommend calling your local RD and asking if they're open to the public

I went yesterday...Picked up:

A log of LMWM Saputo Mozz
A wedge of Italian Fontina
1 kg wheel of French Brie
A #10 can of Tomato Magic
A squeeze bottle of Blue Plate Mayo (Not available here in the east)
5lb of Andouille,
Practice makes pizza

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »
For a few reasons, I've been away from pizza making for several months.  With the recent crisis, I figure this is a great time to get back in the swing of things.

So I've been doing a deep dive in my freezer.  I found three one-pound chunks of mozza down in the nether regions that are labeled Feb '19.  If they might be usable, I'd like to give them a try.  If I can avoid it, I'd just as soon not have to make a trip to RD.
I think you should definitely try it. It may be less than ideal, it wont be a better cheese than it was when you froze it, but for a cooked application I think you will find very little to be disappointed about. You will probably feel good about using it. If you do not like it you will know soon enough but no harm in trying imo. TBH, Id like to find such a thing here. Good luck and let us know how it was if you try it.
-Tony

wordpress