A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: is there mozarella that's salty? i may have been ripped off  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Anis

is there mozarella that's salty? i may have been ripped off
« on: January 24, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
Good day to everybody!

I bought ten kilos of mozzarella from a supplier that I haven't tried yet.  They're a big discount shop in the Philippines.  I'm wondering if the mozarella I got is really mozarella.  It tastes like cheddar.  Is there a kind of mozarella that's as salty as cheddar?  It's also the same texture as cheddar... a bit sandy texture (don't know how else to describe it).  It's not soft when thawed  ??? usually when I thaw mozarella it's soft.  Is this mozarella?

Thanks in advance. :)

Anis

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: is there mozarella that's salty? i may have been ripped off
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
Good day to everybody!

I bought ten kilos of mozzarella from a supplier that I haven't tried yet.  They're a big discount shop in the Philippines.  I'm wondering if the mozarella I got is really mozarella.  It tastes like cheddar.  Is there a kind of mozarella that's as salty as cheddar?  It's also the same texture as cheddar... a bit sandy texture (don't know how else to describe it).  It's not soft when thawed  ??? usually when I thaw mozarella it's soft.  Is this mozarella?

I've gotten a cheese from Wisconsin, called Mozarella, that's really more like a white Cheddar, that I tried a year ago. Nice cheese, but absolutely not a mozz. Name was something like Schulmann's. Sounds something like what you got.

- pizzoid

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »
What's the taste and texture like when melted on a pie? If it's not there for you it may still be worth trying a blend of 50/50 with another type of mozzerella you like, might turn out pretty good since alot of people/pizza joints do some sort of blend anyway.
Jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Anis

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
when its melted in the pie its kind of flat.  no strands of cheese when picking up a slice.  The bubbles from the crust/sauce remain as holes on top after the pie has been taken out of the oven. 

The taste is great with bread, though.  I was able to return the unopened packs to the store, and I'm using the opened pack for snacks with bread. 

Havent thought of blending it with mozzarella.  It's a good idea. 

Thanks everybody.  :)

wordpress