A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Consistent white brim  (Read 286 times)

Offline carefulwiththataxe

• I Love Pizza!
Consistent white brim
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:40 PM »
Good evening pizza lovers.

I've been cooking pizzas at home for the last 2 or 3 months, NYC style being my only weapon of choice. However no matter what, recipe I've been using, the brim of the crust NEVER browns. Occasionally I'll get some golden/tan creeping up the sides, but that's only once the cheese is pretty much overcooked. I've seen a similar thread posted here, I took some advice but nothing really worked for me.

My latest batch was Pilsbury Bread Flour @64% hydration.
0.105 TF
2% salt
2% oil
1% sugar
0.75% IDY

I had 4 dough balls and I varied the oven temp. I went as high as 550, and as low as 475 for a longer cook. It's a gas oven, no convection. I dont know whether the temp is reading correctly, however the bottom of the pies is ALWAYS perfect. Nice deep brown with black leoparding all over. I always cook on the 0.25 inch pizza steel, after preheating the over for an hour.

I've tried switching to the broiler for 10 mins then flicking back to the oven. Will cook the pie for 3 or 4 minutes then try and brown by turning the broiler back on. White as a ghost be the brim.

Here is today's latest pie. I left the dough out for a little longer today hoping a warmer dough would brown. Instead it was just harder to work with as it was TOO soft and almost didnt launch properly.

I've read that I can put olive oil around the edge... but I'd like to think there was something I could change in my approach to aid the browning.

Thank you for reading my slightly epic tale!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Consistent white brim
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:33:17 PM »
What shelf position are you baking on? If you are not baking on the highest shelf position try moving your pizzas to a higher position in the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline carefulwiththataxe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »
I'm on the second to highest shelf, Dough Doctor.
I'll step it up tomorrow - literally!

In my early pizza launching days it was such a tight squeeze on the top rack I moved the steel down one. I guess this is could be the answer.

I'll check back in after testing, thank you!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 10:32:45 PM »
Also, remember that we go to all the trouble of preheating the oven and the stone/steel and then we open the oven to peel the pizza in, depending upon how proficient one is at peeling a pizza into the oven can have a huge impact upon how much heat is lost from the oven during the process. This is especially so with today's "200" Energy Star rated ovens.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 10:37:40 PM »

"Fill it to the rim.... with brim".  🙈

😆.  Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.  🍕🍻
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »
If all you need is to add a bit of color to the rim post bake, this is an excellent solution:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2P0KNO/?tag=pmak-20
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress