A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Do you mix by hand or use a mixer?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Do you mix by hand or use a mixer?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »
Hand mix for me. I bake more bread than pizza, so itís become a welcome process.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
I hand mix pretty good size batches usually. More than would fit in my smaller kitchen aid. Can't speak to the larger home mixers, but I prefer the hand mixed dough after a rest/stretch/fold or two than what I got with the c shaped dough hook in the mixer. The hook seems to flop the dough around instead of kneading.

Offline MarkC

• I love Pizza
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
Hand mixing irritates me to know end, I can't wait to get Famag or Sunmix

Love my Famag!  Having a true spiral mixer on the countertop is such a luxury and I could never go back to a Kitchen-aid mixer.

Keeping on topic..  Lately I've enjoyed hand mixing, especially when I just want enough for one pizza.  I don't really "hand mix" -- I just use a bowl scraper to fold the dough once in a while to develop the gluten.  Only time I actually touch the dough is when opening it up to shape it into a circle...

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
Anyone here ever used a Breville Sous Chef to make their dough? I read on a few places when I was Googling that a super powerful food processor can develop gluten in a way you can't by hand. I've made pizza dough in a KA, but that's a pretty weak machine. I made bread dough in my Sous Chef once, it was so powerful and fast that after like 30 seconds it was already where I'd be with 10 minutes of hand kneading.  I know when I pulled it out it was a consistency I'd never gotten by hand, I don't know if it was a good or bad thing, I just know it was totally different. I'm curious about the gluten development.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 10:38:08 PM »
Anyone here ever used a Breville Sous Chef to make their dough? I read on a few places when I was Googling that a super powerful food processor can develop gluten in a way you can't by hand. I've made pizza dough in a KA, but that's a pretty weak machine. I made bread dough in my Sous Chef once, it was so powerful and fast that after like 30 seconds it was already where I'd be with 10 minutes of hand kneading.  I know when I pulled it out it was a consistency I'd never gotten by hand, I don't know if it was a good or bad thing, I just know it was totally different. I'm curious about the gluten development.
well... How did the bread turn out dude?    ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 03:23:33 AM »
well... How did the bread turn out dude?    ???

Turned out pretty good, but it was the only time I've made dough in my Sous Chef. And I didn't exact measure everything, so I don't know if it was just a case of dumb luck or if I nailed it. Which, since I didn't measure I suppose would be dumb luck lol. I should make a few small batches of bread in my Breville where I weigh out everything. Ordering an Ooni Koda next week and want to try making NY and Neopolitan dough in it. One thing I remember when I pulled the dough out of it, it had risen around 25 degree's in that 30 seconds. I dunno if that's good for dough either.  I know for high power mixers a bunch of baking pros recommend using room temp water instead of your normal 105-120 range because it'll heat up so much while being mixed.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 05:15:25 AM »
I know for high power mixers a bunch of baking pros recommend using room temp water instead of your normal 105-120 range because it'll heat up so much while being mixed.
I am no pro, but I too use water straight out of the cold tap. Machine mixing definitely heats the dough for you.
Mick

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
Turned out pretty good, but it was the only time I've made dough in my Sous Chef. And I didn't exact measure everything, so I don't know if it was just a case of dumb luck or if I nailed it. Which, since I didn't measure I suppose would be dumb luck lol. I should make a few small batches of bread in my Breville where I weigh out everything. Ordering an Ooni Koda next week and want to try making NY and Neopolitan dough in it. One thing I remember when I pulled the dough out of it, it had risen around 25 degree's in that 30 seconds. I dunno if that's good for dough either.  I know for high power mixers a bunch of baking pros recommend using room temp water instead of your normal 105-120 range because it'll heat up so much while being mixed.
You nailed it but now it will be dumb luck if you can repeat it. Happens to many of us once.
-Tony

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
Kenwood mixer for me, I detest hand mixing.

Offline Old Red

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »
Always hand mix my pizza. I inherited my mom's Kitchen Aid but only use it for cookies and mashed taters.
"Que sais-je?"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:25 PM »
Love some mashers by hand!  :drool:

garlic and cream cheese..... Ohh my

Offline OHpizzaguy

• Quest for the perfect pizza!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
I mix and knead by hand.  I don't have a mixer, so I can't comment on how it compares to a mixer.
Iím with you. Though Iíve been thinking about the Bosch Compact mixer for a while now.
Pizza brings people together!

Offline OHpizzaguy

• Quest for the perfect pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »
No mixer, recently got Danish whisk from Amazon & they help so much! Keeps your hands clean through the initial mixing which to me is when they get the messiest!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXWR7VW/?tag=pmak-20
Pizza brings people together!

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2020, 01:54:25 PM »
Mostly use my Ankarsrum mixer.  I like its consistency.
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »
Dishwasher.  Much easier and greener than hand washing.
John

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »
Hand mixing and kneading. My old KitchenAid mixer doesn't have the right dough hook to do a small batch (640 gm total) with any consistency.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »
Dishwasher.  Much easier and greener than hand washing.
I agree with the easier part....🍸

wordpress