A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pivetti W220 flour - neo style.  (Read 254 times)

Offline Gobo

• I Love Pizza!
Pivetti W220 flour - neo style.
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
Hi,

I had ordered caputo pizzeria flour which is what I usually use, but as this was out of stock they have sent me an alternative Pivetti flour i'm unfamiliar with. It's 11% protein/W220.

I usually aim for around a 48hr RT fermentation but as this is lower strength am I correct in my understanding that I should reduce my fermentation time for this flour? I was thinking around 24 hours at RT.

I was thinking along the lines of:

Flour 100%
Water 63%
IDY 0.05% (from "the chart" for 24hrs @17C)
Salt 2.5%

Baked in a G3Ferrari with thermostat mod at 750-850F

- Attachments and other options

Offline Gobo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pivetti W220 flour - neo style.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:09:42 PM »
I thought i'd update my own thread with how things went.

Dough was extremely weak and over-extensible. Very difficult to manage when shaping and a bit too wet.

Going to try knocking back the hydration a couple of percent at next attempt and reduce RT fermentation to 12-16 hours....at least until i've used up this 3kg of Pivetti.

Pic of ball just before turning out after 24hours.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 02:20:00 AM »
Hi! I tried this flour but as far as I remember only for a 5H RTF (for an event), and I was more around 56% HR, so yes I would have said to decrease the HR.
A friend of mine made beautiful pizza in teglia with W220 flour and 80% HR... (don't remember how long fermentation though).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Gobo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »
HI Yael, thanks for responding.

I found a post last night from the dough doctor who described what an over-hydrated dough would feel like and it perfectly described what I ended up with, and reflected in the increase in cook time. So, rather than knocking a couple of percent of hydration off I thought I would have to go further which is backed up by what you have said. I think i'll make a couple of batches today for testing at different hydration levels, maybe 56 & 58% @ 8 hours RT and see how they turn out.

Is there a way, other than from experience, where I could have gotten a better starting point for my hydration with this strength of flour?

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 01:58:37 AM »
[...]
Is there a way, other than from experience, where I could have gotten a better starting point for my hydration with this strength of flour?

I check the protein % (maybe not indicated on Italian bags though) and/or the W, and I know that I should adapt my HR to it.
Then, as you can learn in this article http://www.theartisan.net/Flours_One.htm (about the middle of the long page), US flours and EUR flours' data can be different, so whereas I would add 60% HR for a 12% protein Italian flour, I would add 65% for a 12% protein US flour, as a starting point.

But it's still about experience...  :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Gobo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »
A bit more of a successful evening at 56% thanks to you Yael.

I made two batches to experiment. One at 36hr CF 12hr RT in balls and one 24hr RT total with 8hrs of that in balls.

I also modified my little ferrari oven so that both elements are now in the lid. A few more tweaks are required but i'm really impressed with the difference it has made. Lovely foldable pizza for the first time out of this oven.

I found the CF dough a little too extensible and no other great improvmeent over the RT. I think i'm generally going to stick with RT from now on.

Not perfect, but something to work with...

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:53:29 PM »
Nice!!