A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Zio Ciro Subito Cotto - first bake  (Read 2669 times)

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
Zio Ciro Subito Cotto - first bake
« on: April 09, 2020, 03:14:59 AM »
So after reading a few Italian forums - I decided to pull the trigger on the Zio Ciro Subito Cotto Mini (now that is a mouthful of a name) and to upgrade from the Ooni Koda.

Purchasing was easy and smooth - order by email, got quote, paid and it got delivered to Eastern Europe in about a month. Considering the extreme situation and state of emergency in Italy - I would say it is quite good. I expect in normal times to be half of that. The price quote I got with shipping was 850 EUR with VAT included.

Packaging - the oven was was wrapped with two inch thick Styrofoam on all sides, in a very sturdy cardboard box, that was nailed to a wooden pallet. It was built to endure rough handling. Weighted around 55kg.

The oven is built from refractory concrete. It is equipped with Avanzini Drago P0 burner for which you get separate warranty and manual. In Italian. It stands on a solid stand. It is not the looker its bigger brothers - the Subito Cotto 60/90 are, but it is not a eyesore either.

The burner is 6kw and it gives a blue flame jet that tapers to yellow once it hits the dome. The preheat is 30-sh minutes to 450C with the door closed. Connection to the gas bottle and access to the regulatory valve for the air inlet are somewhat inconvenient. Since there is no clearance under the sides of the base you have to have the oven on the side to connect and tune the burner. You want a jet that roars in an arc and barely touches the corner of the front opening that is diagonal from the burner.

Baking - compared to the one I left behind - what I can say is - it is smooth and relaxed. You are just not in a rush. The floor is quite evenly heated, it is less conductive than cordierite and the top heat is also quite even and less harsh. Launching the pizza is a bit awkward since you have to do it at a slight angle to the opening but nothing too hard.

Here are the results. The pizza is a bit dry because the passata and crushed tomatoes disappeared from the stores so I had to use stuff that that was too thick.

While you can easily get to 500C, my feeling is that it is a bit too high - 450C seems to produce dark brown spots on the bottom that will easily turn into big black spots at 500.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
Re: Zio Ciro Subito Cotto - first bake
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 07:02:43 AM »
Nice looking pie,  glad you are happy with the oven. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »
Nice!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Edwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
So after reading a few Italian forums - I decided to pull the trigger on the Zio Ciro Subito Cotto Mini (now that is a mouthful of a name) and to upgrade from the Ooni Koda.

Purchasing was easy and smooth - order by email, got quote, paid and it got delivered to Eastern Europe in about a month. Considering the extreme situation and state of emergency in Italy - I would say it is quite good. I expect in normal times to be half of that. The price quote I got with shipping was 850 EUR with VAT included.

Packaging - the oven was was wrapped with two inch thick Styrofoam on all sides, in a very sturdy cardboard box, that was nailed to a wooden pallet. It was built to endure rough handling. Weighted around 55kg.

The oven is built from refractory concrete. It is equipped with Avanzini Drago P0 burner for which you get separate warranty and manual. In Italian. It stands on a solid stand. It is not the looker its bigger brothers - the Subito Cotto 60/90 are, but it is not a eyesore either.

The burner is 6kw and it gives a blue flame jet that tapers to yellow once it hits the dome. The preheat is 30-sh minutes to 450C with the door closed. Connection to the gas bottle and access to the regulatory valve for the air inlet are somewhat inconvenient. Since there is no clearance under the sides of the base you have to have the oven on the side to connect and tune the burner. You want a jet that roars in an arc and barely touches the corner of the front opening that is diagonal from the burner.

Baking - compared to the one I left behind - what I can say is - it is smooth and relaxed. You are just not in a rush. The floor is quite evenly heated, it is less conductive than cordierite and the top heat is also quite even and less harsh. Launching the pizza is a bit awkward since you have to do it at a slight angle to the opening but nothing too hard.

Here are the results. The pizza is a bit dry because the passata and crushed tomatoes disappeared from the stores so I had to use stuff that that was too thick.

While you can easily get to 500C, my feeling is that it is a bit too high - 450C seems to produce dark brown spots on the bottom that will easily turn into big black spots at 500.

Hi... nice pie!

From where you bough the Zio Ciro?

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:43:20 AM »
Since I am based in Europe I bought it directly trough their Italian site - https://www.zio-ciro.com/en/home-eng/

They also have a US operation

https://ziociro.com

Offline Edwin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »
Since I am based in Europe I bought it directly trough their Italian site - https://www.zio-ciro.com/en/home-eng/

They also have a US operation

https://ziociro.com

Thanks a lot!

Offline Zio Ciro

• Vendor
  • Wood fired and gas Pizza ovens
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »
Looking Good!

Offline PizzaIsTheBestMedicine

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 05:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the write up.

I too have been looking at a small gas oven and though there are far fewer options than wood the differences are vast.

Right now the Zio Ciro Mini is my top choice.

However, the Koda looks nice and with the 16 inch cooking area and the L shaped burner I am drawn to it.

I do worry about the build and would much rather spend twice the amount for a better build if it makes better pizza.

Are you still happy with your swap? are there things you miss about the Koda?

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
Honestly I adore the little guy. Thinking seriously on splurging on the 60 since I feel the Mini is a bit tight. I guess it will be my Christmas present.

I wrote in another Zio Ciro thread recently about the pro and cons. And the cons are minor. I cannot say that it is the best bang for the buck, but the biggest problem I had with the koda are all solved. The whole process of making pizza is much smoother. I would add some more pictures soon.

The only thing I miss from the koda is portability.

I have a zio ciro mini - and it is an amazing oven. And actually it came with shipping cheaper than Ardore without.

The good stuff:

It heats great, it holds the heat amazingly. The floor seems to have the perfect properties for 60-90 second pizza. I rarely get big black splotches on the bottom if I am careful with the flour - the undercarriage is charred but in tiny evenly disperesed dots. It is also quite economical - from 10 kg of propane I get something like 20 hours of cooking. It also makes mean steak but you need to raise the pan a couple of centimeters and you can kiss any cast iron seasoning goodbye.

The not so good:

It is a bit small. I would have gone with 60 if I had the space. Yo are limited to 30 cm pizza, because part of the pizza is next to the burner you need to be proficient with the turning peel. No need to rush, just be expedient.

Preheat times are optimistic - give it an hour to properly soak it, there is some soot, you need to clean the burner from time to time - it can get clogged.

The bad:

It is hard to tune the flame to your desire - you can tune the size of the base flame, but the valve on the venturii burner does effectively nothing - I guess due to the surface opening/oven volume ratio there is more than enough air anyway - so you have no control over the flame temperature. The valve that control the gasflow has too little run - there are just couple of degrees between small and roaring blast.

Offline EOMFD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »
I'm looking to purchase the mini, and besides this post there's not a lot out there about it's performance.

I originally wanted the 60, but after close consideration, this was the best bet. I will never cook more than one pie at a time. All things considered after ordering the Ooni Koda 16, this is about the same size cooking surface, but the mini is better performing?

Hpw long have you had your mini, and do you still like it? Would you recommend it? I have a 13 inch pizza peel, will that fit in the opening, or do I have to buy a 12 peel. What are the actual dimensions in inches. Door opening size, can you fit a bigger that 13 inch pie in there?

Thank you.

Offline ninersfan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 12:59:40 PM »
I had the same question - what's the largest pizza you can fit in the mini?  Thanks!

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 02:11:40 AM »
Sorry for late reply, seems I have overlooked it.

I haven't made more than 12-sh inch pizza. 13 with godly placement skills will be doable. You have at most 35 cm usable, but that would put part of the pizza under the chimney.

Offline annarborpizzaguy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:45 AM »
I am curious to hear about your experience with the Zio Ciro oven. My main question is around the floor - I know they are not suputo tiles and am curious about the conductivity of the zio ciro tiles and if there are any issues with the bottom of the pies getting burnt at higher temps (~800F+).

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 12:47:49 AM »
I have biscotto saputo in p134 so I can compare - I would say that the zio ciro floor is more conductive. But not by much. It performed very well until 850-875, 900+ there was charring. Eyeballing it - I think you need 30-50 F lower temp to perform like saputo.

If you are chasing record setting temperatures or timing you need to have a saputo cut to shape. For 60-90 seconds pizza it is perfect. It is huge improvement over my previous ooni cordierite stones.