A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourdough pizza dough test kitchen trials starting  (Read 733 times)

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Sourdough pizza dough test kitchen trials starting
« on: April 28, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
Dear all,
Iíve done some basic over night pizza dough (some starter and ADY) for a while now but at the same time doing loads of sourdough bread.
Today I started a test run with doing a dough with starter in the morning and ball it after 1h to let it sit at room temp until evening.
The idea is to make the process uncomplicated since we all gotta work and also to not abuse the fridge all the time.
Today I used 50/50 high gluten/ OO flour, 15% starter and 60% hydration, 2% salt, no sugar or oil added. Temp right now is 70f in kitchen most of the day. 
If I do sourdough bread I can let the dough sit for 12h with 10% starter and just with few stretches itís perfect to go into bannetons then (although I do 80% hydration for that and different flours)
The goal is to adjust the pizza dough recipe to have perfect dough in the evening when I come home.
If you have any ideas that may help me to adjust this approach Iíd be happy to discuss with you.
Starting from here I will need to adjust hydration, amount of starter and maybe the flours (or combo) down the road. I will need to further adjust when it gets hot at home in summer and expect that I may have to use less starter then.
I try to share my experiments and hope Iíll have some breakthrough early on!

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sourdough pizza dough test kitchen trials starting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
That actually worked out quite well with the formula above. Letís eat it

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »
Hot day in CO today so probably not a good idea to try room ten sourdough

Iíve used 60% hydration
75% OO flour 25%high gluten
12% starter
2.2% salt
Too warm so dough is overripe in evening after 12h at RT
Pizza still tasty

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 02:14:38 AM »
Looking good!

2 days ago I made a RTF no-knead dough for pizza in teglia (82% HR) with 10% SD (95% flour + 5% SD's, and 77% water + 5% SD's). I expected it to be ready at 20H fermentation, but I baked at 27H and it wasn't at its sweet spot yet. I was using a new flour though, it's a local wholewheat flour but it seems to be high protein (can take a high absorption and still has a lot of strength). RT: 18.5įC.
I just said recently in other posts how a slight change in RT can affect the whole fermentation, I know it, but I'm still surprise when I experience it!
ďLearn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artistĒ - Pablo Picasso

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 02:26:29 AM »
Hi Yael,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. , Iíve used some of the Pivetti Triticum which is a kind of semi whole wheat flour (tipo 1). I think some pizzerias use similar flours instead of OO or high gluten. If you got good local flour itís  always worth checking it out.

For our pizzas yesterday we had just 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit more in Denver and it totally overfermented, even with less starter. I also believe that the OO flour canít handle that much fermentation as compared to a high gluten flour but I will need to do more experiments. Next time Iíll use at least 50% high gluten or even more since first time the dough was already quite fermented. Also Iíll try less starter. In the end, if your temperature is not stable or predictable, there is a high chance to screw it up, so thatís a plus for fridge fermentation.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:27:57 AM »
IMO you won't need HGF. If your flour can't hold a long fermentation as when using HGF, that means the gluten doesn't need such a long time to weaken and become digestible. That's one of the most important part of the fermentation, isn't it? ^^
Except of course if your flour is too weak and breaks easily when opening the dough into a skin! Another exception could be if you're aiming at pushing the hydration higher, then you may need a higher amount of gluten as well.
Keep posting your tests!
ďLearn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artistĒ - Pablo Picasso

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 09:29:51 AM »
Yesterday I used 75% HG/ 25% 00
60% hydration
10% starter 2% salt, still pretty fermented after 12h at RT 70-75 degree F.
If I want to use this approach in summer Iíll need less starter. Also shouldnít underestimate altitude in Denver. Iíll also try a more stiff starter (less hydrated) next time, maybe the dough is a bit too wet.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 05:15:06 AM »
Yes, don't hesitate to start with lower hydration first, then go a little bit higher each test!

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 10:10:54 PM »
62% hydration KASL, 2.5% salt, a bit sugar and oil,
5% sourdough
14h RT fermentation after balling right away

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
Best option so far IMO
Make pizza dough like sourdough bread dough but with pizza dough numbers....

62% hydration
2.5% salt
20% sourdough starter
No need for sugar or oil.
Mix all and ferment at RT 70-75f for about 4h (less or more depending on temp)
Knead 1 or 2 times in between.
After 4h RT ball and then CF for 8-24h
Take balls out 1h before prep
Excellent results!!! Will continue to do and further optimize
Downside is you probably canít CF longer than 1 day