A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Indiana Pizza King second attempt  (Read 583 times)

Offline bobluvspizza

• I Love Pizza!
Indiana Pizza King second attempt
« on: May 10, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
I wasn't sure whether to post here or in Chicago Thin as that was my inspiration for the dough. I grew up in Indiana and just had to try. After reading through Garvey's Pizza Factory thread (twice!) all the pictures, replies, and descriptions resonated that perhaps his formulation was a close cousin to my childhood favorite. After Failure Number One, I took another whack at it and found some success. I'm truly a noob so bear with me. Here goes:

My stone is about 13'" diameter so I tried to get something close to 12". Attempt #1 was 235g balls: too little. This attempt I increased to 280g. I think it could be even more. (BTW, the calculators are amazing on this site)
Dough
Flour (100%) 349.45
Water (50.5%) 176.47
Instant Dry Yeast (0.75%)2.62
Sea Salt (1%) 3.49
Vegetable Oil (8%) 27.96
Total (160.25%) 560
Single Ball (2 balls total) 280g

Sauce
6oz Can of Kirkland (Costco) tomato paste
6oz water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
(mixed cold- no cook)

Cheese
4oz Provolone (Sargento sliced- I cut it up into rough shreds)
6oz Shredded Mozzarella (store-brand and all I had on hand)

Topping
1/2 stick of Pepperoni chopped into small pieces (my food processor failed to grind properly... so I went old school with a knife)

I hand mixed the dough and did not knead per Garvey's thread.Stuck it in the frig for 24 hours. The next day separated it into two balls and let them sit covered for about 4.5 hours. My frig is too cold so I moved them into the oven with the light on to hasten the rise.
(Ball #1 was for the vegetarian wife who is picky about the sauce... so I rolled out the dough, stuck it in a pan and let her deal with that one.)

I rolled out Ball #2 the best I could and went with some cooking ideas researched on this site. Noob alert: you guys will laugh about all these success/fails...

Oven: 475F indoor gas stove
Stone: a Weber stone for my charcoal grill I bought years ago and never had the stones (pun intended) to use.
Launch: Houston, we don't want a problem. I placed parchment paper on a 12' metal peel.

Got the pie successfully in the oven. Waited 2 minutes to pull the parchment paper out. Success! Kind of...
I cooked it for another 8 minutes or so. The cheese was bubbling and a peek underneath seemed it was ready. I managed to retrieve the pizza, let it cool for a few minutes on a rack and cut it into Hoosier-style squares.
Mistake #1: I took the (dress the tomato and cheese to the edge) too literally and they spilled onto the stone.
Mistake #2: too much cheese. Too much is too much... when will I ever learn?
Mistake #3: along the too much line, the toppings weren't distributed well and it was a bit middle-heavy.
Success #1: even though it wasn't perfectly round, it looked like a Pizza King pie.
Success #2: the sauce was close to what I remembered. (I did not use the full 12oz total that I prepped... probably 8oz.)
Success #3: the dough was close to the thickness I remember. All in all it tasted close to my memory.

Pics:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:36:51 AM by bobluvspizza »

Offline bobluvspizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Indiana Pizza King second attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
Forgot to mention I sprinkled some italian seasoning on top before the cook, as every picture of a Pizza King pie on the internet seemed to indicate some sort of spice sits on top. Basil, oregano, dill? Who knows... I just guessed and grabbed the generic spice.

Pic  2 of 2

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:48:11 AM by bobluvspizza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »
I love Pizza King!!!  I grew up with one right by my house as a kid.   One thing to note... your salt level is low... but at my location they tossed a little salt in the oven then dropped the pizza on it (not all locations do this).. so try that without raising your salt level and you might like it even better.   

Also, not familiar with the Garvey thread but a food processor works good for this dough.  Only mix it for a very short time. let the ball sit for 20 minutes then do some hand kneading and I think you will like the results (and its not messy). 

Good luck with your quest!

Offline bobluvspizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
I love Pizza King!!!  I grew up with one right by my house as a kid.   One thing to note... your salt level is low... but at my location they tossed a little salt in the oven then dropped the pizza on it (not all locations do this).. so try that without raising your salt level and you might like it even better.   

Also, not familiar with the Garvey thread but a food processor works good for this dough.  Only mix it for a very short time. let the ball sit for 20 minutes then do some hand kneading and I think you will like the results (and its not messy). 

Good luck with your quest!

Garvey's thread is over in the Chicago section: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17662.0

I'll try a little salt under the dough, sounds like a plan! I have a stand mixer but not a full-size food processor. Always willing to take one for the team.

Offline bobluvspizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 01:23:43 PM »
Third attempt. Similar technique, modified formulation, bigger dough ball, slightly better execution.. no stone disasters. I put some salt on the parchment paper... maybe a little too much, but it made a positive difference. No overnight in the frig either. I let it rise about 5.5 hours at room temperature. I'm close enough now to almost declare success. The cold ferment needs to happen next time.

Flour (100%) 181.71 grams
Water (54%) 98.12 grams
Instant Dry Yeast (1.1%) 2.00 grams
Regular/Fine Sea Salt (1%) 1.82 grams
Sugar (1%) 1.82 grams
Vegetable Oil (8%) 14.54 grams
Total (165.1%) 300 grams
Single Ball (1 balls total) 300 grams

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 09:23:29 PM »
Pete-zza suggested thin crust pizza for the September Monthly Challenge.  When I read Pete-zza's description of midwest thin crust pizza my mind went straight to Nick's English Hut in Bloomington.   Having spent more than a few nights at Nick's, I could remember that thin crust bar pizza with fond memories.  I had to try and make it.

I googled Nick's pizza recipe and came up with almost nothing.  However, a suggestion indicated it might be close to Pizza King.  I googled for their recipe and came up with one, however, they use baking powder and no yeast.  That did not sound good.  So, below is my Nick's clone loosely based on the Pizza King recipe.

Arrowhead Mills Organic AP flour  100%
H2O                                             54%
IDY                                              .5%
Salt                                               2%
Sugar                                            1%
EVOO                                            6%

22 hour bulk ferment in the fridge, 2.5 hour warmup.  Rolled flat and docked.  Baked in my WFO at 650 degrees for 3 minutes.  I have the saupto deck in my oven so the bottom was not as dark as I wanted but still ok.

Crushed tomato sauce with salt, sugar, crushed basil, thyme and crushed oregano.  Sausage with added crushed rosemary from my garden and crushed fennel seeds.  Shredded mozzarella and shredded provolone.  Sprinkle of parm.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:25:06 PM by sk »
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor