A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas
« on: May 10, 2020, 07:18:17 PM »
A master thread with links on all things baked in Breville Oven is located here:

List of Threads on the Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo

This thread is for Neapolitan pizzas, which the Breville is remarkably effective at by virtue of its ability to separately control the deck and top temps. Over time, I'll put links in this thread to the existing Neaplitan links in other threads:

Deb's Neapolitan Pizzas

Please add posts to this thread about your efforts to bake Neapolitan pizzas in the Breville oven. Questions welcome. Please keep on topic!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:53 AM »
Been playing around with parchment paper at start of bake. I think I've got it pretty well dialed in for the bottom. Still have several things I want to try to get a better top.

750 Deck
750 Top
Stock stone
Original BPZ800 model

Parchment removed after about 25 seconds
Total bake time about 75 seconds

Offline TDS1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
What type of parchment paper are you using? I tried one from Sams and it caught fire basically instantly.
Haven't tried it again although sure slide off the peel easily!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »
What type of parchment paper are you using? I tried one from Sams and it caught fire basically instantly.
Haven't tried it again although sure slide off the peel easily!

Not all parchment is equal. This is what I'm currently using in the Breville:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B073D3VZRL/?tag=pmak-20

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 02:19:36 AM »
Here are some Neapolitan pies that I made tonight on the Breville Pizzaiolo.
This oven doesn't get as hot as my 1,000 degree 2Stone oven, but it's really hard to beat the convenience of the Breville.

Offline MThorogood

• I love pizza!
    • Smart Oven Pizzaiolo
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 06:06:21 PM »
Here are some Neapolitan pies that I made tonight on the Breville Pizzaiolo.
This oven doesn't get as hot as my 1,000 degree 2Stone oven, but it's really hard to beat the convenience of the Breville.

Beautiful looking pizza's there Dmitri!

Offline MThorogood

• I love pizza!
    • Smart Oven Pizzaiolo
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
Been playing around with parchment paper at start of bake. I think I've got it pretty well dialed in for the bottom. Still have several things I want to try to get a better top.

750 Deck
750 Top
Stock stone
Original BPZ800 model

Parchment removed after about 25 seconds
Total bake time about 75 seconds

Great work Bill and another lovely looking pizza.
A Breville Pizzaiolo master at work!

We recommend a similar parchment paper method for our BPZ600 pizza maker as it definitely makes transfer a whole lot easier.
We experimented with this technique for this oven also but as TDS1 mentioned - plenty of paper types can catch fire quite quickly so not officially recommended ;)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »
Great work Bill and another lovely looking pizza.
A Breville Pizzaiolo master at work!

We recommend a similar parchment paper method for our BPZ600 pizza maker as it definitely makes transfer a whole lot easier.
We experimented with this technique for this oven also but as TDS1 mentioned - plenty of paper types can catch fire quite quickly so not officially recommended ;)

Thanks, Michael. If a fire doesn't break out every once in a while, you're not doing it right!  ;)

Seriously, I think this technique, at least for me, produces a superior crust. You can crank up the deck as high as it will go, but put just enough insulation between the crust and the deck to prevent scorching. This method uses zero bench flour, which can be a major source of scorching and also detracts from the quality of the crust.

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
Beautiful looking pizza's there Dmitri!

Thanks. I'm still getting the hang of the oven, but so far, I'm digging it.

I'm using a metal perforated peel (rather than the non-perforated one that comes with the oven). It removes virtually all the excess bench flour from the bottom of the pie before putting it into the oven. I can see why people swear by these peels.

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »
My first sourdough Neapoltanish

I aged some fresh Colombian water buffalo mozzarella 3 months until it turned to the consistency of stracciatella and used it on a sourdough crust with spicy-garlicy San Marzano sauce, basil, chili flakes, black pepper, EVOO...the mozz was very tasty

100g Poilâne-style starter (begun in early June with with live culture yogurt)
501g KABF (100% counting starter)
339g 65°F water (65% counting starter)
12.4g salt (2.17%)
Stand mixer, RT bulk ferment x 8 hr, balled CF x 17.5 hr, RT ferment x 5 hr
700°F deck/750°F dome (3>5 on launch) x 2.75m in Breville, rotating once

Looks nice, but I think I over-fermented and/or under-kneeded, since the dough balls flattened out, as well as being very sticky and too easy to open.  Needs some work...

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
I froze a few dough balls, a few weeks ago, and was curious to see how they'd turn out on the Breville. Better than I expected. My toughest critic (our 5-year-old) gave me his highest rating: no words; a mouthful of pizza, a nod, and a thumbs-up.

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 01:04:04 AM »
Ok, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this oven. Tonight's filetto pizza is the closest I've gotten, with this oven, to a neapolitan pie that I'm fairly happy with.

Offline kross

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »
I just received mine today! Woohoo!

I'm going to try a relatively simple recipe.

100% Caputo Pizzeria
62% water
2.5% salt
0.16% IDY

Mix it in the stand mixer for a few minutes until it comes together, bulk ferment overnight in a cool (not cold) location. Ball it up and into the fridge for a couple days.

Sound like a plan?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 09:34:15 PM »
Seems like a great plan. Let's see some photos of finished pizzas.

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »
Up to you, but I wouldn't bother with the overnight "cool" bulk fermentation. Do the entire bulk fermentation in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. Then, the day of the bake, take the dough out of the fridge in the morning, form your dough balls, and do a room temperature rise for maybe 8 hours (while keeping the tray covered so they don't dry out).

I just received mine today! Woohoo!

I'm going to try a relatively simple recipe.

100% Caputo Pizzeria
62% water
2.5% salt
0.16% IDY

Mix it in the stand mixer for a few minutes until it comes together, bulk ferment overnight in a cool (not cold) location. Ball it up and into the fridge for a couple days.

Sound like a plan?

Offline kross

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 12:47:47 AM »
Up to you, but I wouldn't bother with the overnight "cool" bulk fermentation. Do the entire bulk fermentation in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. Then, the day of the bake, take the dough out of the fridge in the morning, form your dough balls, and do a room temperature rise for maybe 8 hours (while keeping the tray covered so they don't dry out).

Well, that would certainly simplify my process a little bit. The process previously mentioned is already underway, so we'll see how it goes.

I certainly like to experiment, so I will try your method next time and compare. I'm all for simplifying things!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 03:35:58 PM »
For you Breville Fans.

While cooking classes look a little different right now, Breville is bringing world-renowned pizzaioulos inside home kitchens and next up on their virtual pizza tour is our very own Chef Luca! During Chef Luca's episode of the "Meet the Makers" series, guests can tune in to learn all the ins and outs of crafting a Neapolitan-inspired pizza using the famous Breville Pizzaiolo Oven that Chef Luca has come to know and love. Plus a special live Q&A with Chef Luca himself. This virtual trip through Naples is perfectly timed with Chef Luca’s recent return from Italy. The event will be guided by Scott Wiener, a pizza expert who runs the famous New York-based Scott’s Pizza Tours and is the founder of Slice Out Hunger.

Join Chef Luca on Friday, August 7 at 3:00pm EST for this culinary experience by purchasing your tickets today. Tickets include a never-before-shared recipe from Chef Luca as well as a post event link also to watch again later or if you aren't able to make it live. If you are local to Atlanta and want to cook alongside Chef Luca, give us a call at 404-709-2690 to purchase a pizza kit at the Midtown location! Must order 24 hours in advance and pick up at our Midtown location.

For more details and to reserve your spot, click here. Buon appetito!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
 Signed up for this event. very excited to watch it. unfortunately i always watch the sessions later in the evening after work. i have caught all but one of these sessions. looking forward to seeing how he uses the Breville for Neapolitan pizza.
  next week with Lee Hunsinger of zollis should be another winner.

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
Signed up for this event. very excited to watch it. unfortunately i always watch the sessions later in the evening after work. i have caught all but one of these sessions. looking forward to seeing how he uses the Breville for Neapolitan pizza.
  next week with Lee Hunsinger of zollis should be another winner.

I signed up too.

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
One of the best classes they've held.