A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas  (Read 5968 times)

Offline kross

Re: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »
So the maiden voyage with the new oven turned out pretty good. Only made 3 pizzas. Used buffalo mozzarella, spared no expense! :) But it's been so long since I made pizza, I forgot to drain the mozz on paper towels. Oops.

The first pizza was a margherita. Milled tomatoes with salt, buffalo mozz, olive oil. Fresh basil after it came out of the oven. The crust was a little flat, not as much oven spring as I was hoping for. The dough was also still cool to the touch, only having been out of the fridge for about 2 hours.

Second and third pizzas had some pepperoni. By the time I got to the third pizza, the crust was having more oven spring, and was closer to the light, airy, and lightly crispy texture I was going for. It was the best of the lot, probably because it had more time out of the fridge.

Next time, I'm going to do room temp fermenting only.

I like this oven. :)

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »
So the maiden voyage with the new oven turned out pretty good.

Beautiful looking leopard spotting!  Can you share you dough recipe and procedure?

Offline kross

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »
Beautiful looking leopard spotting!  Can you share you dough recipe and procedure?

Thanks! See reply #12 in this thread for the recipe and process I used.

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
Thanks! See reply #12 in this thread for the recipe and process I used.

How cool, not cold, is the bulk ferment?

Offline kross

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
How cool, not cold, is the bulk ferment?

About 55-60 degrees F

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
About 55-60 degrees F

Unfortunately my wine cellar is full.   :-\

Offline kross

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »
Unfortunately my wine cellar is full.   :-\

As I said, I'm going to be trying something different next time. Either cold ferment in the fridge with no intermediary "cool" ferment, or just a 24 room temp ferment (with much less yeast of course).

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
Regarding --  One of the best classes they've held. 

I liked it a lot as well.

Did anyone watch the Sourdough episode from Denver?  Was it worthwhile?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:54:16 PM by sk »
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
Dude, your pies look incredible! What flour did you use? What temperature was your oven? Was that buffalo mozzarella? Seems very wet if it's regular mozz (even if it isn't towel dried). Anyway, whatever you're doing, it's definitely working. Very impressive.

As I said, I'm going to be trying something different next time. Either cold ferment in the fridge with no intermediary "cool" ferment, or just a 24 room temp ferment (with much less yeast of course).

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »
So the maiden voyage with the new oven turned out pretty good. Only made 3 pizzas. Used buffalo mozzarella, spared no expense! :) But it's been so long since I made pizza, I forgot to drain the mozz on paper towels. Oops.

The first pizza was a margherita. Milled tomatoes with salt, buffalo mozz, olive oil. Fresh basil after it came out of the oven. The crust was a little flat, not as much oven spring as I was hoping for. The dough was also still cool to the touch, only having been out of the fridge for about 2 hours.

Second and third pizzas had some pepperoni. By the time I got to the third pizza, the crust was having more oven spring, and was closer to the light, airy, and lightly crispy texture I was going for. It was the best of the lot, probably because it had more time out of the fridge.

Next time, I'm going to do room temp fermenting only.

I like this oven. :)

very nice!
Deb

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
A couple from last night.
Caputo Blue 70% 48 Hr CF  3 hr RT No bulk

Perry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:27:33 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2020, 09:08:33 PM »
Regarding --  One of the best classes they've held. 

I liked it a lot as well.

Did anyone watch the Sourdough episode from Denver?  Was it worthwhile?

I did. It was fine but I didnít feel it really taught me much about making a better sourdough pie.

Offline kross

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
Dude, your pies look incredible! What flour did you use? What temperature was your oven? Was that buffalo mozzarella? Seems very wet if it's regular mozz (even if it isn't towel dried). Anyway, whatever you're doing, it's definitely working. Very impressive.

Thank you very much! They tasted pretty good, too! :)

I used Caputo Pizzeria flour. 750/750 on manual mode, darkness dial in the middle. My IR thermometer measured around 820 on the stone. And yes, that was buffalo mozz. As I said, I forgot to drain it on paper towels first, so it was a little wet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:23:57 PM by kross »

Offline kross

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2020, 10:22:11 PM »
A couple from last night.
Caputo Blue 70% 48 Hr CF  3 hr RT No bulk

Perry

Those look pretty tasty! How were they? Was the crust everything you were hoping for?

Offline kross

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2020, 10:33:06 PM »
very nice!

Thank you! In fact, it was your pizzas in the "deb's pizza thread" that helped inspire me. :)

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2020, 10:52:52 PM »
Aw, right. Totally overlooked that in your prior post.

Well hey, if you're going for a true pizza napoletana (eaten with a knife and fork), wet buffalo mozzarella is the way to go. Judging by the wetness, I'm going to guess Guistosella brand.

I've tried 750 and it's a little hit or miss for me. Sometimes, it comes out great. But the next pie comes out burnt. I'm still trying to get a feel for managing the heat between pies. Do you make adjustments to the oven, between pies?

Thank you very much! They tasted pretty good, too! :)

I used Caputo Pizzeria flour. 750/750 on manual mode, darkness dial in the middle. My IR thermometer measured around 820 on the stone. And yes, that was buffalo mozz. As I said, I forgot to drain it on paper towels first, so it was a little wet.

Offline kross

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2020, 11:19:38 PM »
I've tried 750 and it's a little hit or miss for me. Sometimes, it comes out great. But the next pie comes out burnt. I'm still trying to get a feel for managing the heat between pies. Do you make adjustments to the oven, between pies?

No adjustments. About 5-10 minutes between pies. You know, time enough to eat some of the current one, and make the next one. :)

And yes, I am going for true pizza napoletana, but I have yet to attain that level. I don't know if it's possible with this oven. It may only be possible with a true wood (or gas) fired oven reaching 1000F.

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2020, 12:05:52 AM »
Yeah, I hear you. It's, by definition, impossible with this oven, if we're going to go by strict VPN standards. But I've seen enough pics on this forum, of folks who've gotten 90% there, that I'd be perfectly happy with 90%.

I've tried elevating the deck, by adding a 2nd pizza stone, so the pizza is closer to the top heating element. That works marginally better, but it doesn't change the fact that the top element can't provide a stable side heat (like in a larger wood-fired oven).

No adjustments. About 5-10 minutes between pies. You know, time enough to eat some of the current one, and make the next one. :)

And yes, I am going for true pizza napoletana, but I have yet to attain that level. I don't know if it's possible with this oven. It may only be possible with a true wood (or gas) fired oven reaching 1000F.

Offline kross

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 12:20:51 AM »
Yeah, I hear you. It's, by definition, impossible with this oven, if we're going to go by strict VPN standards. But I've seen enough pics on this forum, of folks who've gotten 90% there, that I'd be perfectly happy with 90%.

Agreed. The pizzas may not be true neapolitans, but they are tasty. :)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
Not sure what it takes to achieve 100 %, but this tech puts wood on the back burner...
Think of Dylan breaking out an electric guitar for the first time in Newport.

All the haters eventually plugged in and turned on 🎸🎸🎹🎼🎼🎼

Perry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:57:23 PM by pizzaboyfan »

wordpress