A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Dimitri

Re: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »
You need a 900-degree oven, and having the pie be done in about 45 seconds.

I can do that with my 2stone oven. No way to do that with the Breville.

Not knocking the Breville, BTW. I love this thing.

Not sure what it takes to achieve 100 %, but this tech puts wood on the back burner...
Think of Dylan breaking out an electric guitar for the first time in Newport.

All the haters eventually plugged in and turned on 🎸🎸🎹🎼🎼🎼

Perry

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
VPN is just plain dumb, as is more generally the current craze for "authenticity" in food.  Who gives a @#$%?

If I say it is Neapolitan, it is Neapolitan.

Offline kross

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
VPN is just plain dumb, as is more generally the current craze for "authenticity" in food.  Who gives a @#$%?

Okay, let me expand on my statement. I'm trying to create a pizza with that soft, airy, tender crust that is just slightly crispy on the outside. This is one of the defining characteristics of Neapolitan pizza. So far, I have not been able to achieve that. I'm getting close, but I believe it can only be achieved with higher temps than this oven is capable of. But, I will keep experimenting.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2020, 05:39:33 PM »

I call mine Brevapolitan. Still working out exactly the best approach with my new BPZ820, but was able to get a nice soft, airy crust as good as any from my WFO on my old BPZ800.

Offline kross

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
I call mine Brevapolitan. Still working out exactly the best approach with my new BPZ820, but was able to get a nice soft, airy crust as good as any from my WFO on my old BPZ800.

That gives me hope! I will keep experimenting!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »
That gives me hope! I will keep experimenting!

You probably have this covered, but make sure you aren't using a long or thin gauge extension cord. Voltage drop is going to give you a lower maximum temp.

Offline kross

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2020, 05:59:50 PM »
You probably have this covered, but make sure you aren't using a long or thin gauge extension cord. Voltage drop is going to give you a lower maximum temp.

No problem there. My IR thermometer actually measured 810-820 on the stone.

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »
Technically, under VPN:

Cooking surface temperature: 716F-806F.

Oven dome temperature: about 905F

So the Pizzaiolo can definitely achieve or exceed the former.

The affect the dome in WFO has on energy transfer to the pizza is probably very different than heating coils located couple of inches away (for example, the lack of convection), so I don't know how to relate the two.  If Bill says he can get a traditional NP texture, it must be possible.  I haven't even tried Italian flours yet.

I was originally trying to get a sourdough "Neapolitan", but after 4 days the sourdough has weakened and I didn't get much oven spring, so it is now a "sour dough thin crust".  Still delicious!

Offline kross

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
That looks very tasty indeed! :)

Offline Dimitri

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2020, 12:42:43 AM »

I hope I didn't get you upset. We're all friends here, and we're just sharing our experiences in a friendly way.

Regarding VPN, you may be surprised how few pizzerias (even in Italy) are VPN-certified. And I don't blame them: getting and remaining certified isn't cheap. And VPN certification doesn't guarantee a great pizza anyway.

But, for me, Neapolitan pizza (in its most elevated form) is something very special. It's practically edible art. There is a quality to the crumb that (as far as I've experienced) requires very high heat (900+ degrees).

At the temperature, if done right, the crust achieves a delicate crispiness that succumbs to the slightest pressure, and easily tears apart, to reveal a moist, airy, pillowy, slightly tangy inside.

Achieving such a feat, in an oven that's 150 degrees colder, is a real challenge, as it's battling physics.

Anyway, it's still fun to try, even in a 750 degree oven.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »

Im going with Nealectric tm
 :D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2020, 07:13:43 AM »
 getting similar bakes out of my Breville using a raised stone and baking when the top element is glowing, as I do out of my ooni koda 16. Double from breville single from the koda. Breville bakes under 2 minutes

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »
I hope I didn't get you upset. We're all friends here, and we're just sharing our experiences in a friendly way.

Not at all.  Just ranting.   ;D

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2020, 01:37:30 PM »
getting similar bakes out of my Breville using a raised stone and baking when the top element is glowing, as I do out of my ooni koda 16. Double from breville single from the koda. Breville bakes under 2 minutes

Can you summarize the benefits of the raised stone for you?  Are you using Italian flour?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »
I just use the principles that the P134 oven owners use. They get the pizza closer to the element and cook with the element glowing.
 I have  seen a lot of great Neapolitan pizza not using the extra stone. So it seems its just a personal thing. If nothing else The light colored stone allows more floor heat without the burning you can gat from the black stone.
 Note I only use the raised stone for Neapolitan. Did a pan pizza tonight with preset for pan.

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »

What's the trick to get the top element glowing?  Twist the top control knob to the right as you launch or before?  Crack open the door briefly?  How long?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2020, 12:26:42 PM »
Start full right after you hit temp fan the door till it re-lights. I also check floor temperature. I like 800 degrees or higher. Usually after the first pizza it is easier to cook with the top burner on.

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
My first attempt at a Neapolitan using Caputo flour and dough recipe from PizzApp.  Open to suggestions on how to improve...

100% Caputo Pizzeria (Blue)
62% water (73F)
2.9% salt
0.35% IDY

Dissolve salt in water (71F); add 60% of flour/yeast; mix for 10m in KA on 1 while gradually adding remaining flour; hand kneed 5 min; FDT= 77.5F; bulk ferment 74F x 1h; ->250g balls; 41F x 24hr; temper RT x 2h.

750/750F (3->5 on launch) x 2m50s in '820 model, rotating 1X (white rice flour on peel)

Spicy-garlicy sauce made with Mutti Finely Chopped Polpa, Colombian water buffalo mozzarella, Napolitano basil, red pepper flakes.

Dough ball was a bit over-fermented but OK.  Crust, well I think I went too long as exterior of cornicione was too crisp, although inside was moderately airy, bottom was lighly crisp and appropriately floppy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:11:42 AM by BostonBestEats »

Offline kross

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say that looks mighty tasty! :)

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say that looks mighty tasty! :)

Thanks, it was definitely tasty, I just want it to be softer and airier, and more of those sexy leopard spots.  Have a couple of more balls which I'll let go 48 and 72 hr CF just to see how they hold up...