A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas  (Read 5821 times)

Offline kross

Re: Breville Oven - Neapolitan Pizzas
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
I would like to say that, at least with my oven, I didn't really get any benefit from turning the pizza. If anything, it lets out too much heat and takes longer to cook. I found it cooked pretty evenly without turning. Of course, YMMV.

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2020, 06:18:35 PM »
I would like to say that, at least with my oven, I didn't really get any benefit from turning the pizza. If anything, it lets out too much heat and takes longer to cook. I found it cooked pretty evenly without turning. Of course, YMMV.

I generally don't turn either and it usually doesn't make much difference, but I find on some pizza the front cooks faster and a turn helps.

Possibly could depend on how centered the pizza is on the stone.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »
Just wondering, why is the Breville thread a Stickie? I don't see any stickies in the Neapolitan forum for other ovens. Why don't we have stickies for Ooni, Rockbox, Blackstone, Effeuno, Waring, etc? Surely we have plenty of owners using these ovens.

Is Breville sponsoring this thread?
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
Just wondering, why is the Breville thread a Stickie? I don't see any stickies in the Neapolitan forum for other ovens. Why don't we have stickies for Ooni, Rockbox, Blackstone, Effeuno, Waring, etc? Surely we have plenty of owners using these ovens.

The main Breville oven thread has over 2000 posts making much of the information there difficult to discover. I've been following it since the very beginning and still have difficulty finding something I'm looking for. I created separate threads in different boards to make it easier for owners of this oven to share information. I made them stickies to encourage members to post in the new threads. Whether or not that was effective is unclear, but it doesn't matter to me whether they remain stickies. Perhaps threads about other ovens could benefit from being stickies. 

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »

Is Breville sponsoring this thread?

Because we are Pizzaiolohs!  It's in the name!   ;D

Offline simulacrum

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »
Hi all!

New member and first time poster. Just looking to document my progress and get as many tips from you guys as I can.  I've had my pizzaiolo for about 3 weeks now and have done 3 bakes. I broke it in with some supermarket dough after I bought the oven. It turned out ok, the crust wasn't quite as puffy as I would have liked with a fairly closed crumb and a bit more caramelisation than I like. For the second bake I managed to track down a sack of Caputo Pizzeria and made a 68% hydration dough witha 48 hour cold ferment. The pizza turned out quite puffy with nice leopard spotting, and more less golden than the supermarket dough, though sometimes I had to bake a little longer than 2 minutes. The balls looked a little overproofed when i took them out.

A few nights ago I tried for 70% hydration with 24 hour cold ferment, and baked the best pies I've made so far. The picture attached was a 2 minute bake. my topping was lightly processed Mutti Italian peeled tomatoes with a little salt, some supermarket bought fior di latte, that i tore up and squeezed out to remove the excess moisture, a few small prawns panfiried with garlic, some semi-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, some put on before baking and some after. The crust on this was far better than anything I can get delivered locally, even from pizzerias that have woodfired ovens.

I managed to get a local Italian supermarket to order a 25kg bag od Nuvola Super flour for me, which I picked up yesterday.  For my next bake I want to try for a canoto style pie with a 48 hour fermented biga using the nuvola super, and bulked out to 70% hydration using the caputo pizzeria flour.

Offline kross

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2020, 02:27:25 AM »
That pizza looks delicious! That crust looks fantastic! 70% hydration? That's much wetter than I've done. The highest I've gone is 65%. Can you give more details on your recipe and process?

Thanks!

Online pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2020, 07:50:52 AM »
I was coaxed to try 70, and never looked back.

Perry

Offline simulacrum

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:59 PM »
That pizza looks delicious! That crust looks fantastic! 70% hydration? That's much wetter than I've done. The highest I've gone is 65%. Can you give more details on your recipe and process?

Thanks!

Thanks! I was pretty happy with it.

My recipe was for 4 240g dough balls:

555g Caputo pizzeria
388g water
17g salt
3.5g instant dry yeast

My process was as follows:

Evening before bake:

pour all the water and yeast into the bowl of the stand mixer, start it on low and start adding the flour. once about 70 percent of the flour was mixed in i stopped and rested for a couple of minutes then turned it on and let it mix to get some gluten development started while the dough was still a loose batter. I added the rest of the flour in slowly and let it combine. Then I incorporated the salt and increased the speed. Whenever it looked like ti was tightening up too much I'd stop the mixer for a couple of minutes then start it again. All in all it took maybe 10-15 minutes. I took the dough out and placed it in a large plastic bowl to proof for 2 hours covered with cling wrap. Room temp was around 21C. Every 30-40 mins I'd wet my hands with water and do a coil fold. Coil folding is something sourdough bread bakers do during bulk ferment to aid gluten development and it really helps make loose high-hydration doughs more manageable (you can see a quick vid below). After the two hours were up I balled up the dough, placed the balls in a flat plastic container and put it in the fridge with the lid on. The balls grew to fill the container but you could see the "seams" where they joined each other.

On bake night, 2 hours before baking I sprinkled some flour on the seams and used a dough scraper to cut out each ball and transfer to the bench. I used a scraper and moistened hands to  tighten up the ball, and transfer to a lightly floured section of the bench. once all four balls were shaped i covered them with some upturned containers. It's important to ensure your dough balls are covered otherwise a dry skin will form. for baking i set up a stretching area with a lightly floured section of bench with my ingredients around it and enough space for me to rest the peel. I also filled a small mixing bowl half way with flour. for each doughball i'd pick sprinkle a little flour on top, it up with the scraper (resting my hand on the floured top of the ball) and dump it top side down in the bowl of flour, working quickly is key to prevent the dough sticking to the scraper or your hand. flip the ball in the flour so it gets coated then pick it up and dust it off between your nads so there's only a thin veil of flour covering the ball. It'll now be a thick patty rather than a ball. The dough should be very soft, pliable, and airy as its a wet,well fermented dough, but the gluten development and the veil of flour over ti should make it easy to handle without sticking. I transferred the ball to the floured section and stretch as normal.. I start working with the flat pads of the fingers - defining the coniccione and pushing the bubbles out from the centre towards all sides of the corniccione. Then carefully stretch using the backs of my hands and gravity to stretch it out, carefully preserving the corniccione. Once its stretched, i flick any large thin bubbles to pop them and start topping the pie as per normal (I should add I also sprinkled some finely grated pecorino on the sauce which I forgot to mention in my previous post). I also sprinkle flour all over the peel then hold it over the sink and bump the back of it hard a few times, which gets rid of most of the flour but leaves enough to allow me to launch the pizza. I give the peel one sharp push which usually is enough to get it at leas under half the pizza, then I quickly pull the edge to get the rest of the pie onto the peel.

I think that about covers my process.. I'm yet to figure out my process for hte next bake with biga.. but I'll have to see if the results are even woorth the write-up!  :-D

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »
CANATTO STYLE

This was puchased Wegmans' "White Pizza Dough", which I re-balled into 3 x 276g balls, let this one proof RT x 2 hr, then baked at 700/750F (3>5) by 135sec in Pizzaiolo.

Actually, not very extensible dough and hard to stretch without getting holes in bottom, so settled for a small pizza with a big cornicione (not my original intent), which I'm going to call "canatto" because that sound cool lol.  No flavor to the dough, and nowhere as airy as canatto should be.  I don't think I'll be buying this dough again, although I will try the other two balls that have been in the fridge overnight.

But maybe this doesn't qualify as "Neapolitan"?   :'(
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:14:30 AM by BostonBestEats »

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
After 24 hrs CF, still not very extensible, but definitely tastes better, and I think it's actually a pretty little pizza.

700F deck, 750F dome x 2 min (3>5 on launch), rotating a couple of times, and adding Napolitano basil half way though the cook, then chopped parsley & chives, red pepper flakes, EVOO and pecorino at the end.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:55:38 PM by BostonBestEats »

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
After 24 hrs CF, still not very extensible, but definitely tastes better, and I think it's actually a pretty little pizza.

700F deck, 750F dome x 2 min (3>5 on launch), rotating a couple of times, and adding Napolitano basil half way though the cook, then chopped parsley & chives, red pepper flakes, EVOO and pecorino at the end.

I know that pizza maker. lol