A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Waring WPO500 Electric oven - thoughts?  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Waring WPO500 Electric oven - thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »
Well there is a difference.  How it affects performance is a question.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »
In that scenario, I'd be way more concerned about my house burning down due to an electrical fire, than an under cooked pizza.

The oven is rated for being the only item on a 15 Amp circuit. At 120V you get 1800 watts. If the voltage is low because the air conditioning is on or the length of 14ga wire between the panel and the oven is long, maybe you only get 110V and then you only have a 1650W oven. Not enough difference to matter much, but it might require adjustment of the differential between the top and bottom. Doesn't mean there is any danger of burning the house down. With 14 ga wire, you'll loose 1 volt for every 26 feet of wire, with 12ga it's 1 volt for every 42 feet.

Ira

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »

The oven is rated for being the only item on a 15 Amp circuit. At 120V you get 1800 watts. If the voltage is low because the air conditioning is on or the length of 14ga wire between the panel and the oven is long, maybe you only get 110V and then you only have a 1650W oven. Not enough difference to matter much, but it might require adjustment of the differential between the top and bottom. Doesn't mean there is any danger of burning the house down. With 14 ga wire, you'll loose 1 volt for every 26 feet of wire, with 12ga it's 1 volt for every 42 feet.

Ira

I wasn't talking about a 15 amp circuit.  I was referring to wiring appropriate for a 15 amp circuit (e.g. 14 gauge in your example) where either a homeowner or an electrician replaced the 15 amp breaker with 20 amp breaker, not changing anything else.  Unless I am mistaken, that is a potential fire hazard.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
While putting a 20 amp breaker on 14ga wire is not code and certainly not recommended, it's also not likely to cause a fire hazard unless there are some bad connections or you have a lot of conductors in a small conduit all running over capacity.  Electrical fires are almost always caused by bad connections, untightened screws, improperly applied wire nuts, connections that got wet and have corroded and sometimes insulation that's so old it
s gotten dry and brittle and allows wires to short.  There's still houses out there with knob and tube installs using uninsulated wire that been there for 50 years or more that works just fine.

Ira

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
Lots of good conversation here, all over the map.
So I will throw my 2 cents in about wiring.

This is for new installations...
No matter what appliance you plan on using, and it doesn't matter if you are running a 15 amp or 20 amp device, ALWAYS run 12/2 wire (12 ga, black/white/ground). No 14/2.
You most definitely don't want your wiring to be the weak link.
If you install 14/2 wiring with 15 amp breaker and 120V 15 amp outlet, that's it, no options.

With the 12/2 wiring installed, you have options.
Install 120V 15 amp circuit breaker with 15 amp outlet (nema 5-15R).  (Outlets are rated to 125V)
Install 120V 20 amp circuit breaker with 20 amp outlet (nema 5-20R).  (Outlets are rated to 125V)
Install 240V 15 amp circuit breaker with 15 amp outlet (nema 6-15R).  (Outlets are rated to 250V)
Install 140V 20 amp circuit breaker with 20 amp outlet (nema 6-20R).  (Outlets are rated to 250V)
Upgrades are simply then by just swapping out the breaker and the outlet.

TIP 1 - Leave a blank space next to the circuit breaker to make is an easy upgrade to 240V (needs a double breaker).
TIP 2 - If you upgrade to 240V wrap the white wire on both ends with Red tape to identify it is no longer neutral. Neutral is not needed.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:48:11 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
Lots of good conversation here, all over the map.
So I will throw my 2 cents in about wiring.

This is for new installations...
No matter what appliance you plan on using, and it doesn't matter if you are running a 15 amp or 20 amp device, ALWAYS run 12/2 wire (12 ga, black/white/ground). No 14/2.
You most definitely don't want your wiring to be the weak link.
If you install 14/2 wiring with 15 amp breaker and 120V 15 amp outlet, that's it, no options.

With the 12/2 wiring installed, you have options.
Install 120V 15 amp circuit breaker with 15 amp outlet (nema 5-15R).  (Outlets are rated to 125V)
Install 120V 20 amp circuit breaker with 20 amp outlet (nema 5-20R).  (Outlets are rated to 125V)
Install 240V 15 amp circuit breaker with 15 amp outlet (nema 6-15R).  (Outlets are rated to 250V)
Install 140V 20 amp circuit breaker with 20 amp outlet (nema 6-20R).  (Outlets are rated to 250V)
Upgrades are simply then by just swapping out the breaker and the outlet.

TIP 1 - Leave a blank space next to the circuit breaker to make is an easy upgrade to 240V (needs a double breaker).
TIP 2 - If you upgrade to 240V wrap the white wire on both ends with Red tape to identify it is no longer neutral. Neutral is not needed.

This is also good for those dealing with various governmental social engineering protocols.  You can then label all your restrooms as being gender neutral.  Hope this helps!

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2020, 07:15:32 PM »
This is also good for those dealing with various governmental social engineering protocols.  You can then label all your restrooms as being gender neutral.  Hope this helps!
Oh yeah it helps   sure ::)

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 11:05:49 PM »
i got my WPO 500, finished seasoning it, I will start testing it from now on. I just plugged in my existing socket in garage and it worked.
I want to thank everyone for your input.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 11:06:22 AM »
Update on my wpo500,
I have been cycling temps to see how oven perform and so far i have noticed it does not go to set temp on dial,   i.e. i set it at 750F in 1- 1 1/2 hr it will reach to 675-690F max and that's it.   If i want 750F then i need to crank knob all the way to max.
I have called the service No they have provided which is Smart-care ( that is the no on owner's manual)they tossed me to Waring (actual manu) which tossed me to Commercial kitchen Repair (Assigned repair service co.) and nobody has any clue it seems...... very disappointed indeed. i can get into it to figure out but i don't want to touch it since it is brand new (just few weeks old)
Any help from anyone who encountered this issue is welcome!!     

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2020, 01:06:08 PM »
How do you measure the temperature?
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
Have you tried an oven thermometer to check their temp gauge? Just a thought.
Marty

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2020, 02:13:32 PM »
How do you measure the temperature?

on Temp dial

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2020, 02:16:29 PM »
Have you tried an oven thermometer to check their temp gauge? Just a thought.

do you mean from the stone itself? i do take temp on stone with my IR gun. it always reads little bit higher temp that the temp dial outside which is quite normal....imo   

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
do you mean from the stone itself? i do take temp on stone with my IR gun. it always reads little bit higher temp that the temp dial outside which is quite normal....imo   
Actually I mean the air temp which I assume their gauge is indicating.
Marty

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »
on Temp dial

One could really expect the builtin gauge to show the air temperature and to be calibrated with the control dials..

Sorry no ideas on this one.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2020, 07:15:19 PM »
The Control Dial is just a printed knob.  It is not an Oven Control as one my expect.  The Thermometer is a better indication of the actual temperature. However stone temps and Air temps which the built in thermometer.  When you say you turn it up all the way are you saying after a half hour the temperature does not increase?  or the Thermometer does not read higher.  An IR Thermometer can answer that question.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 11:31:26 PM »
The Control Dial is just a printed knob.  It is not an Oven Control as one my expect.  The Thermometer is a better indication of the actual temperature. However stone temps and Air temps which the built in thermometer.  When you say you turn it up all the way are you saying after a half hour the temperature does not increase?  or the Thermometer does not read higher.  An IR Thermometer can answer that question.

The way you control the temp. is by control dial or a knob.. if you will, it reads from 300 or 350 f to max temp which suppose to be 843 f per manual.
when i set that dial at max temp ,the temp in the oven does not rise above 750-760 f when it should have been 843 f. i think i can work on it to fix it but since i just bought this i don't want to mess with it.  so far tech support is awful ( let's just say there is no tech support) . i read temp by IR that's not an issue. hope i made it clear. 

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
The way you control the temp. is by control dial or a knob.. if you will, it reads from 300 or 350 f to max temp which suppose to be 843 f per manual.
when i set that dial at max temp ,the temp in the oven does not rise above 750-760 f when it should have been 843 f. i think i can work on it to fix it but since i just bought this i don't want to mess with it.  so far tech support is awful ( let's just say there is no tech support) . i read temp by IR that's not an issue. hope i made it clear.

843 F may be a hypothetical maximum; a lot of appliance and other specs are, should we say, a bit on the "optimistic" side.  I think that if you could get up to 843 F, it would probably take an hour and 40 minutes or so, maybe more, to get there, although you should be able to get to 800 F easily, in maybe 1 hr and a half.  Perhaps you are not waiting long enough?  This oven has a great deal of thermal mass, a large open oven cavity, and you are running it off of 110v, which is a real handicap.

I've never taken my WPO500 above about 820 F, and generally I don't cook pizzas at that high of a temperature, due to the results that I get.  I tend to shoot for somewhere between 700 and 750 F, and that's for very thin crust pizzas.  This oven would not be my choice for making NP style pizzas, I'd go with an outdoor gas oven or maybe a WFO for that.  Very few if any appliances or for that matter, just about any device, function very well if the intention is to use them at the extremes of their capabilities.  You probably wouldn't use a Prius on a race track, even though in theory it might get up to 120 MPH if you totally floored it :-)

As to Waring tech support, I haven't used it, although I did have good results with them for replacement of a unit that broke during the warranty period.  I'm not exactly sure what good tech support on an appliance like this would be, since it is so simple and entirely analog.  The only controls are the top element rheostat, the bottom element on-off switch, and the light switch.  The only other things that the user can control are whether you choose to use the stock stone or replace it, and whether or not the oven door is closed.  So the oven either works or it doesn't.  I would allow a LOT of preheat time if your intention is to get up into the high ranges of potential oven temperatures, and I would use an independent thermometer/IR gun for measuring real air and stone temperatures.  I wouldn't trust the analog temperature reported by the gauge as being any more accurate than you would expect with a home oven range, which is to say, not very accurate.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2020, 10:40:37 PM »
As i noticed temp Delta between temp dial and what my IR reads is close to 80 f that is a lot, if the gage is off by 10-15 f i could have understood, so i called and person on the other end from Waring could not be able to answer my simple question. Long time ago in my previous life i used to test naval ships when we built 'em as an engineer so i understand this simple stuff and can fix it too but that is not the point, these are the simple things they could not get it right.
I would think twice before i recommend this oven to anyone unless waring shows me that they care about the customers.

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »
As i noticed temp Delta between temp dial and what my IR reads is close to 80 f that is a lot, if the gage is off by 10-15 f i could have understood, so i called and person on the other end from Waring could not be able to answer my simple question. Long time ago in my previous life i used to test naval ships when we built 'em as an engineer so i understand this simple stuff and can fix it too but that is not the point, these are the simple things they could not get it right.
I would think twice before i recommend this oven to anyone unless waring shows me that they care about the customers.

At what temperature (on the dial) do you get an 80 degree temperature difference?  Is it all through the range, such that you read 320 F from some accurate thermometer and the built in gauge says 400 F, likewise the gauge says 600 and you read 520?  Or is it entirely at the end of the range?

I am assuming that you have the under stone heat turned on as well; if not, then all bets are off.

If you turn the oven on, with the under stone heat turned on, and the rheostat at the far end of the range, and you leave it there for however long it takes to get to the max temperature, what is the max temperature in the air and on the stone, and how are you measuring it?  I don't think that an IR Gun is going to be accurate for air temperature in the oven cavity, so to measure this accurately I would think that you would need a physical measuring device like a high temperature thermocouple to put into the cavity.

If after doing these measurements you were to find that the oven only gets up to 820F, then maybe I'd challenge the marketing of the oven, but I wouldn't call it a POS.

If the built in temperature gauge really reads 80 degrees off throughout the range (vs. observed temps) then I think that if you continue to work with Waring and/or the merchant that sold you the oven, they will replace it. 

If on the other hand the issue is that the numbers printed on the rheostat (upper element dial) are off by some number but they are consistent, and if the built in temperature gauge is more or less correct, and if you can get to the temperatures that you could reasonably want however the main element dial reads off by some reproducible number -- then I think you are expecting more than you can get from an analog device like this oven.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:14:59 AM by champignon »

wordpress