A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Out of Dry Yeast - Need help with starter  (Read 248 times)

Offline tjc

• I Love Pizza!
Out of Dry Yeast - Need help with starter
« on: May 22, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
I've been making pizza for years, but always used dry active yeast. Now with the pandemic run on yeast in all the stores, I am completely out of dry yeast. Fortunately for me, the local pizzeria sold me some Wild Yeast Starter (supposedly over 100 yrs old, originated in Italy). All well and good, but I have no idea how to use this in my usual un-written recipe which used 1/2 teaspoon of dry. I just mixed the yeast with 2/3 cup warm water and once it foamed, I added flour (anywhere between 1.5-2 cups) until dough just started to no longer stick to the sides of the mixer, then proofed overnight in refrigerator and that was it.

I know I'm supposed to go through a levan process on the starter, and a have a kitchen scale to portion out feedings, but everything I read on line seems so complex. Has anyone had success using wild yeast starter directly into the final dough mix? In other words, portion out some amount of refrigerated starter into the dough mix when feeding the starter each week? Then just mix that dough and proof overnight for the pizza.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
tjc

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
Re: Out of Dry Yeast - Need help with starter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:33:43 AM »
Amazon has Caputo yeast back in stock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QF4T64V/?tag=pmak-20

Offline tjc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 03:00:59 PM »
Thanks for the links, but that is not really what I was asking. I would rather try to use the starter than support Amazon or Walmart. No offense intended.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
You can just add a small amount of starter to dough and do a long ferment. All depends on starter strength, temperature and ingredients. It's part of a long learning process.

Offline tjc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
Starter seems quite active as a refrigerated starter, fed yesterday 1:1:1 and it doubled in size in around 3 hours at room temp.

I guess it will be trial and error, was hoping someone already went down this road before and had some tips regarding ratios when using starter directly into the pizza dough mix. Or whether I really do need to create the levan first (and feed a few times), and then add that to the dough mix.

Thanks,

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Offline tjc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »
Thanks, that is a fascinating link, and I came across it when googling before joining this forum. I am not smart enough to know how to apply the chart at the basic level.

I can't tell what hydration level is used for the chart. I suppose it varies on what type of pizza is desired, but I don't really know a good starting point for this.

My other question is the use of the starter %, do I mix starter with water (amount based on final hydration %) until it is completely dissolved before adding the 100% flour amount and kneading?

Lastly, it appears that the starter is used after a single feed and doubling (at its peak), so that answers whether starter needs to be in a levan state.

Like I said, I am not smart enough to even get on the chart.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 09:42:00 PM »
I can't help you with how to use the chart or the info presented. I'm a free form throw it all together baker. I doubt I have ever made the same pizza twice in a row. It always comes out different and since I'm not selling them I'm happy if they are good eats.

I'd make a very poor scientist.

wordpress