A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why does Florida have such a bad reputation for pizza?  (Read 803 times)

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
Why does Florida have such a bad reputation for pizza?
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »
Not going to name names, but some of the NY-style places in Florida I've been to use very little sauce.  The worst I went to had very little sauce, was dry, and on top of that, used a ridiculous amount of salt.  It tasted like a bucket of movie popcorn rather than a pizza, and I literally mean that.

I can't generalize and say that they're all bad.  In my experience, the majority are decent or passable.  But I think it's mainly that there aren't a lot of great pizza places.  The best ones in Florida would be like an average one in other states.

Do you think the reputation against Florida pizza is warranted?   If yes, do you have any theories as to why Floridians have difficulty making great pizza?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Why does Florida have such a bad reputation for pizza?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
I have always considered Florida to be better than most other parts of the us because of the large amount of NY transplants there.  In general, the northeast is the best and anywhere else is not as good.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
It's not just Florida. There's been a dearth of decent pizza across the South for generations. People have been accustomed to eating bad pizza all of their lives and that was their only point of reference. Thankfully, things are changing for the better as more people are traveling and experiencing what good pizza is all about. And as Scott R stated, people moving from the Northeast certainly helps.

Why not name names, Stamina? Warning fellow members of places to avoid (and recommend) is a good thing.   

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
really depends where in Florida

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 06:20:24 PM »
One of my NJ childhood friends owns a couple pizzerias at Daytona Beach - Pagano's NJ pizza.  If you see him tell him Walter (68 road runner) says hi. He was in the olds 442's.
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »
Not going to name names, but some of the NY-style places in Florida I've been to use very little sauce.  The worst I went to had very little sauce, was dry, and on top of that, used a ridiculous amount of salt.  It tasted like a bucket of movie popcorn rather than a pizza, and I literally mean that.

I can't generalize and say that they're all bad.  In my experience, the majority are decent or passable.  But I think it's mainly that there aren't a lot of great pizza places.  The best ones in Florida would be like an average one in other states.

Do you think the reputation against Florida pizza is warranted?   If yes, do you have any theories as to why Floridians have difficulty making great pizza?

Well you know what this means... there's a market to take  ;D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:58 PM »
I wouldn't even want to think what the a/c bill is every month in a Florida pizzeria.  We use 2 swamp coolers here in Reno and they cost about the same as running the lights.   Today it got to 90 degrees (11% humidity) and the shop was in the upper 70's with 30% humidity (good for the dry skin syndrome out here).  We also have 2 roof a/c units but only run them when it gets to 100 outside which is about a week per year.  I remember working in NJ and Texas bakery and pizzerias with no a/c.  It was hell. 

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:52:31 AM »
Walter, you don't miss NJ summer nights with humidity as thick as a blanket, sticky skin, huge mosquitoes? :-D

Offline jmiliz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:25:07 AM »
Plenty of good pizza in Florida. Seems like everyone from New York assumes that their local pizza is the best and if its not imitated exactly, then its wrong (maybe places in Florida should quit saying NY style). Its just different. You like it or you don't. I have had very bad pizza in New York, Florida and every where else I have traveled, including Naples, Italy. Some places make a pizza that fits your taste and you happened to show up for a slice on the perfect day. Its like people from Philly and their cheese steaks. I have had much better cheese steaks out side of Philly and they didn't taste exactly like Pat's or wherever someone considers the best. They just tasted better to me.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »
Walter, you don't miss NJ summer nights with humidity as thick as a blanket, sticky skin, huge mosquitoes? :-D

The good old days...….  :)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 04:32:29 AM »
my brother grew up eating ny pizza but moved to fl and has been eating fl pizza for 40 years. about 10 years ago we went out for dinner with him and his wife and he ordered pizza for his and our kids. We came back from dinner around 8pm to find our kids refused to eat a single slice. i was angry and disappointed, thinking fl pizza wasnt good enough for our entitled kids. my brother tried a slice and declared it very good, i took a bite and would have spit it out but for fear of embarrassing him. we headed back to our hotel and bought something edible for the kids.

In retirement i decided i had to reeducate my brother’s pizza palate  ;) when they visited us in nyc, we took them to two neighborhood joints, mama too and sal & carmines.  when we visited them, i equipped their kitchen with some modest pizza equipment and ldmp. after a couple of lessons, i’m happy to report my brother’s making better pizza than any of the 10 places in his town. during our last visit, we stopped for a slice at the latest “ny pizza” shop in his town. he took a bite and said “this is terrible!”

to scott’s point, we recently purchased a place in st augustine beach and found two good nyc transplants:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60355.0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:44:38 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien