A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First try...not enough yeast or maybe my dough handling?  (Read 242 times)

Offline WeatherWimp

• Supporting Member
  • We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow
First try...not enough yeast or maybe my dough handling?
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:00:29 PM »
So I tried to do Adam Atkins recipe in the Gozney video as I have a new Roccbox. It is a 1 hour bulk ferment followed by what was for me a 7 hour RT proof in dough balls at between 68f-70f. Recipie:

1kg of Caputo Pizzeria
600g / ml of cold tap water
0.32g IDY subbed in for his use of 1g / pea size fresh yeast ... though after the fact I see PizzApp suggests 2.1g of IDY
29g of salt

I did take a bit of water from the measured 600g, microwaved it and when the temp came down to 98 put the IDY in, stir, and let it sit for 6 minutes. Added it to the rest of the water, swished it, added about half the dough, then the rest of the dough mixing by hand, then the salt. Mixed for a few minutes with my fingers, dumped dough out, then folded, pushed forward, rotated and repeated for about 8 minutes.

I ended up 6 dough balls of 235-240ish g each and one that was smaller that I practiced with. The photos are technically the 2nd pizza...the first one I'd stretched wrong and I knew the center was too weak but cooked it anyway. Not pretty. Still ate it.

Stone was around 755f when I cooked.

Disappointed that I didn't get much if any bubbling or thickness/rise in the crust. Would this have been I didn't use enough yeast, or I didn't kneed correctly or press out the dough ball correctly to form air pockets in the dough?

Video of Atkins:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:02:47 PM by WeatherWimp »

Online Pizza_Not_War

Re: First try...not enough yeast or maybe my dough handling?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:28:23 PM »
More yeast. I use small amounts like that for long ferments.

Offline Bcummings15

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:19:28 AM »
Hi,

I also cook in the Roccbox and I’ve gotten more rise in the crust by being careful in my opening technique and pushing the air from the dough ball towards the edges. If you’re looking for a really thick crust search the forum  and YouTube for canotto style pizza. I mostly cook this style and use a combination of the Caputo pizzeria and Nuvola super flours in my dough.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
More yeast. I use small amounts like that for long ferments.

^^^

FYI, this drawing helped me (reply 10): https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55839.msg562393#msg562393
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress