A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Newbie - Starting with the crust  (Read 207 times)

Offline Betts211

• I Love Pizza!
Newbie - Starting with the crust
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:37:55 PM »
So with all the pandemic stuff, I've started to experiment with pizza crusts, I'll get to the ladder of the ingredients later on, for now I'm focusing on the crust.

I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but I've been using app that a chef friend turned me on to, its called PizzApp. I would assume its been talked about on the forum.

Anyway, so I've made three batches so far and I'm yet to be happy with any of them - but the biggest problem I've found is that my dough always tears when I'm trying to stretch it.  I've watched videos on pizza dough stretching and I still can't seem to win.   

My goal is for a super thin crunchy crust so I've been using the Neapolitan recipe which is the following from the app:
  • Dough Balls: 2
  • Ball Weight: 320g
  • Flour: 392g
  • Water: 235g
  • Salt: 13g
  • Yeast (IDY): 2.24g

I've done three different refrigerator leavenings so far, 12hrs, 24hrs and 36hrs.  The 36 definitely tasted the best.  I usually bring the ball out and let it set at room temperature for a few hours.  I bake them on my stone on a green egg at around 600 degrees (top thermometer, I'm sure its hotter at the surface).

I would appreciate any advice - I love pizza and I love to cook!

Thank you!

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
Re: Newbie - Starting with the crust
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
Bwahahahahaha!  (Didn't want to let you down on the laughing part.)

What sort of pizza are you looking to make?  You mentioned Neapolitan.  They typically don't have a crispy crust, at least under the toppings.  The edges can be a little crisp.

As far as the tearing goes, that might fix itself as you get more practice stretching.  How long do you knead your dough?  Is it reasonably smooth once you're done?
--pat--

Offline Betts211

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:44:16 PM »
Well maybe I don't know my crust types very well then, I love a crispy thin crust, edges and bottom.

As far as the kneading goes...I'm only kneading it in the mixer with a dough hook, nothing beyond that...and even then not very long.  I'm always afraid of over kneading.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
It's strange, but I have seen a few newbies mention dough problems with the PizzApp.  I looked it up here, and see many liked that app as well. Recent posts all seem to be about excessive yeast amounts for Neapolitan style.

search the forum for PizzApp and you'll see there's something amiss.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:50:39 PM by texmex »
Reesa

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress