A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chinese take out style recipes. Post them here!  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Yeller

Re: Chinese take out style recipes. Post them here!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2021, 08:22:35 AM »
Haha, oops! Yep!

Yes it's  a 22" Discada from SW Disc..they were old farming disc blades the migrant workers cooked on. Just weld the center hole and season the disc and go...I do Carnitas, Fajitas and anything Asian...

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2021, 08:34:24 AM »
Yes it's  a 22" Discada from SW Disc..they were old farming disc blades the migrant workers cooked on. Just weld the center hole and season the disc and go...I do Carnitas, Fajitas and anything Asian...
Chuck Hughes (Cooking Channel) did a whole episode on making and using these discs. It was so interesting!
-Tony

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2021, 09:30:38 AM »
I tend to use my discada for lower, slower cooking of larger amounts of cut meats and vegetables for tacos. The disc gets hot, but not nearly as smoking hot as I go for Chinese stir-fries. With a big discada you can warm the tortillas around the upper disc, keep cooked things hot around the middle part. I usually mix in a can of beer near the end and wait for it to mostly cook off.   

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2021, 08:58:24 PM »
One more time...

The observant reader will notice that there is no bowl of peanuts in the lineup. Caught it just in time during cooking! Minus the peanuts, that's lined up in order of operations. Peanuts went after the corn starch slurry. Really good stuff.
Carl

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2021, 10:26:02 PM »
you really have this recipe dialed in, looks wonderful! ! Our favorite rendition of this dish was made by famous sister Szechuan restaurants in NYC. one closed after a fire and the other has been closed since the pandemic began but is hoping to reopen at some point. Their sauce has enough ground Szechuan pepperorns that you get just a sight mala sensation but they balance it out with something just slightly sweet, probably sugar. Anyhow, my whole family loves the dish and we're not generally Kung Pao chicken fans. If the owner closes the restaurant for good, I plan to beg him for the recipe. They also serve a great cumin lamb but it's well beyond my skill to recreate, even with the recipe.

Anyhow, here's picture of their dish. hmm, now that I look at it, maybe that's not the dish...let me take another look. ok, now I have the right picture!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:30:35 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
Thanks QD! I really didn't know I liked Kung Pao chicken until a few recent trips to DC we stayed in the Kimpton Palomar hotel and right across the street is a place called Asia 54 that was too convenient not to eat at multiple times. Besides the convenience, it was also very good. The last trip was during Covid and there were some work related restrictions in place so we had carry out from there basically every night. I ran out of my usual suspects and decided to try the Kung Pao chicken, man oh man was it good!  I had it three nights in a row  :-D

This Chef Raymond version is pretty satisfying. The pic you posted looks really good - I'm intrigued now to try different variations of it, since I've basically only ever had Asia 54's and my own versions of it. I think I need to turn the spice up on it a little. I've been using Calabrian chili oil in the sauce, crushed red peppers and the whole dried peppers - you'd think that would be pretty good. It's well balanced really, but a little unbalanced toward the spicy end might be better.
Carl

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »
Thanks QD! I really didn't know I liked Kung Pao chicken until a few recent trips to DC we stayed in the Kimpton Palomar hotel and right across the street is a place called Asia 54 that was too convenient not to eat at multiple times. Besides the convenience, it was also very good. The last trip was during Covid and there were some work related restrictions in place so we had carry out from there basically every night. I ran out of my usual suspects and decided to try the Kung Pao chicken, man oh man was it good!  I had it three nights in a row  :-D

This Chef Raymond version is pretty satisfying. The pic you posted looks really good - I'm intrigued now to try different variations of it, since I've basically only ever had Asia 54's and my own versions of it. I think I need to turn the spice up on it a little. I've been using Calabrian chili oil in the sauce, crushed red peppers and the whole dried peppers - you'd think that would be pretty good. It's well balanced really, but a little unbalanced toward the spicy end might be better.

carl, too funny, we've stayed in the same hotel! we have an Asian market that sells Szechuan peppercorns but during the pandemic, I ordered from amazon, pretty well-priced and very good. I think there are a couple of major versions of the dish and one of them hails from the szechuan province:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Pao_chicken
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 11:44:27 PM »
One dish i have yet to make is Moo Shu. Its one of those dishes that i really like, but disapointed in the meat to vegie ratio. I have had it many places, and it seems to be mostly cabbage/carrot/celery and barely any pork/chicken/beef/shrimp. (i prefer the house special which has pork/chicken/shrimp in it. When you ask for extra meat, first they sound confused, then they say coss exrah, then when you get it, they barely add any extra, sometimes it seems you get more when you dont axe for exrah.

I need to find a good recipe and make it myself. I loove those thin pancakes but they never give you enough of those either, and charge a lot for more. >:(

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2021, 12:26:32 AM »
Pro tip for those Mandarin pancakes, use an Atlas pasta roller to roll them out! Haven't made them for a longggg time, but now I want some!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2021, 12:57:56 AM »
Pro tip for those Mandarin pancakes, use an Atlas pasta roller to roll them out! Haven't made them for a longggg time, but now I want some!!!

Damn you Jon! Haven't you cost me enough already with the vacuum tumbler? What other gagets are you going to mention, that will cause me to want?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2021, 01:06:13 AM »
Big boy toys and he who dies with the most wins!!!😉🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2021, 01:30:25 AM »
Real Moo Shu has dried lily blossoms and wood ear fungus. Easy to get from any Asian market or Amazon. Makes a big difference. Also, the trick to making really thin pancakes is to roll two pancakes together, with sesame oil between the two layers. After cooking, you pull apart the layers. I hate the precooked machine-made ones that are often reheated and served in many restaurants.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2021, 01:31:52 AM »
Big boy toys and he who dies with the most wins!!!😉🤣

Well, After all the buckboard bacon I made after you peer pressuring me to build a vacuum tumbler, I had to get healthy. So, after getting down to 170 from 220, i bought another Big Boy Toy that i think i have you beat on. Due to Covid it ships March 2nd, so it will be a few weeks, but I can't wait for my Bowflex Velecore Bike 22.

It will fit nicely with my Bowflex Treadclimber TC100, and Commercial grade Nautilus Trimeline Treadmill.

I will say, the TC100 is noisy as hell, but man does that thing give you a serious workout without killing your knees. The shocks are loud, but they take all the impact.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:35:56 AM by FeCheF »