A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Bottom is Burning  (Read 1448 times)

Offline checkerfred

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Bottom is Burning
« on: May 03, 2019, 02:32:46 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been working on Neapolitan style pizzas here lately.  I'm relatively new to it and have been having issues with the bottom burning.  I'm using a Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven attachment on my grill.  My temps are from about 850 to 950.  I've tried making my dough with Caputo Rinforzata and more recently Caputo Pizzaria which is supposed to handle temps of 700 and up.  I figured out part of my problem in the process but not sure what to do.  I've been using a solid metal peel and tried semolina to help with the transfer.  I noticed at higher temps, anything over about 700, the semolina burns way to fast causing the bottom to taste burnt.  I can make it work at lower temperatures, but there's a certain temp I have to hit and keep an eye on it....seems to be 650-750.   I tried using the Pizzeria flour to help with the transfer.  It's a little better but then comes out dry/powdery on the bottom and any uneven areas have a raw flour taste.  I really want to be able to cook these at 900 or so.  Do I need a different peel and different technique to drop the transfer aid?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Bottom is Burning
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
How long do your pizzas typically take to bake? Do you have a photo? I suspect your problem is an imbalance of heat, with the top being lower than the bottom, causing the bottom to burn before the top is fully baked. You could try rice flour on the peel instead of semolina and see if that improves results.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »
The problem is the stone. Cordierite is too conductive to use at 850F with any flour. As you saw, 750F is about the upper limit for cordierite. Having the heat source below the stone just makes it even worse. You could buy a biscotto stone to replace it but it would probably cost as much as the oven. https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline checkerfred

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 04:02:36 PM »
How long do your pizzas typically take to bake? Do you have a photo? I suspect your problem is an imbalance of heat, with the top being lower than the bottom, causing the bottom to burn before the top is fully baked. You could try rice flour on the peel instead of semolina and see if that improves results.

I'd say for time maybe 4-6 minutes depending on what all I put on top.  The semolina is better than flour on overall taste.  I was just really wanting to crank up the heat haha.  I don't have any pics since making them on the GMG pizza oven.  I'll get some next time.  I'm sure there is an imbalance.  It does have a solid metal bottom with the stone raised off of that by feet molded onto the stone, but if it's coming from the bottom I'm sure it's hotter than the side.  I'll have to do some temp gun tests.  There are slots on the side to let heat up.

Offline checkerfred

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
The problem is the stone. Cordierite is too conductive to use at 850F with any flour. As you saw, 750F is about the upper limit for cordierite. Having the heat source below the stone just makes it even worse. You could buy a biscotto stone to replace it but it would probably cost as much as the oven. https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/

I wouldn't be opposed to doing that if it would surely help.  I see they have 2 15x11" bricks for $66.  That's not too awful bad as much as I make pizza if it would really help. 

I wonder about leaving more of an air gap between my current stone and the floor of the oven?  I could maybe lift it up an inch or so.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
I'd say for time maybe 4-6 minutes depending on what all I put on top.  The semolina is better than flour on overall taste.  I was just really wanting to crank up the heat haha.  I don't have any pics since making them on the GMG pizza oven.  I'll get some next time.  I'm sure there is an imbalance.  It does have a solid metal bottom with the stone raised off of that by feet molded onto the stone, but if it's coming from the bottom I'm sure it's hotter than the side.  I'll have to do some temp gun tests.  There are slots on the side to let heat up.
Itís too bad we canít simply flip pizzas like we do burgers!  ;)
-Tony

Offline vdempsey

• Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »
Oh my Tony,  :-D. Hilarious!
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 02:33:47 AM »

Quesadillapizza!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline checkerfred

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 01:35:48 AM »

Don't tempt me  :-D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »

I wouldn't be opposed to doing that if it would surely help.  I see they have 2 15x11" bricks for $66.  That's not too awful bad as much as I make pizza if it would really help. 

I wonder about leaving more of an air gap between my current stone and the floor of the oven?  I could maybe lift it up an inch or so.

Another thing that might help would be to get a cheapo pizza stone and insert it under the main stone. I would think that would slow heat transfer meaningfully.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline checkerfred

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
Another thing that might help would be to get a cheapo pizza stone and insert it under the main stone. I would think that would slow heat transfer meaningfully.

I actually tried this with my heat shield from my kamado grill.  It was too high though and caused the opposite effect...the top got done too quick and the bottom wasn't done enough lol.  I think a cheap stone will work.  The one from my grill had feet on it that lifted it up about an inch.

Offline fMD87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 08:18:30 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been working on Neapolitan style pizzas here lately.  I'm relatively new to it and have been having issues with the bottom burning.  I'm using a Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven attachment on my grill.  My temps are from about 850 to 950.  I've tried making my dough with Caputo Rinforzata and more recently Caputo Pizzaria which is supposed to handle temps of 700 and up.  I figured out part of my problem in the process but not sure what to do.  I've been using a solid metal peel and tried semolina to help with the transfer.  I noticed at higher temps, anything over about 700, the semolina burns way to fast causing the bottom to taste burnt.  I can make it work at lower temperatures, but there's a certain temp I have to hit and keep an eye on it....seems to be 650-750.   I tried using the Pizzeria flour to help with the transfer.  It's a little better but then comes out dry/powdery on the bottom and any uneven areas have a raw flour taste.  I really want to be able to cook these at 900 or so.  Do I need a different peel and different technique to drop the transfer aid?

I know this thread is old. I have a GMG pizza oven with the same problem. Apparently the stone is ceramic. Have you come up with a fix? Thanks!

Offline Spag

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »
I have no problems using the ooni 3 with gas @ 400-450c, which I believe has a cordierite stone. I did however suffer  cooking imbalance using wood pellets @ 500c+, with bottom cooking too fast. I suspect your main problem is the heat coming from below.