A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Home Run Inn - RETOOLED  (Read 934 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Home Run Inn - RETOOLED
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
OK, this has been such a crazy mystery to me even since thinking I got it right years ago. I want to thank the occasional detractor because those folks got me to look at this again. Thanks to Peter for his great work always and specifically an experiment he did years ago regarding rich (high oil content) dough and yeast fermentation. The oil really prevents the yeast from doing what we are accustomed to seeing in dough with lower oil volumes.  This formulation is not for the squeamish, it's got crazy high numbers in both oil and yeast, as the flavor is both rich and yeasty.

First, going to the Home Run Inn website and seeing the "splash" video on homepage I noticed a few distinct characteristics...stiff dough, contrasting colors (from water vs. oil), and ease to shape rim. That guy was working with pie crust, is all that I thought.  So back to the drawing board and this is what I came up with...

AP Flour       100%
Water              33
Corn Oil           29
IDY                   3.5 (not a typo)
Salt                  1.75
TF =        .1385

9” pizza (as pictured) is 250g dough ball

Combining ingredients you're going to want to whisk everything together before adding flour. If not, unless you're kneading by hand, you're going to end up with inconsistent segments of dough no matter how long you mix in your Kitchen Aid.  Also, this will not come together like a traditional dough ball. Remember the oil is your shortening and it's called shortening because it shortens gluten matrices. It just doesn't come together and it will barely stretch without tearing. I do use the dough hook on this for 5 or 6 minutes before removing and, by hand, shaping and squeezing into ball to rise.  This will be a scrappy.

Let it rise...ummm...as long as you like, this isn't going to double. The oil has that impact. After 3 hours I punched it down and sectioned the dough balls and placed 3 in the fridge and made one pie.  It smells really good at this point, though. You'll get that beer scent that we love.

Rolling out the dough you will want to over roll by an inch with some bench flour.  Move to your disk that you'll bake this on and pinch back that over roll to form the rim.

Cooking...I'm playing games with my oven here. My electric oven has an exposed element, so I'm cooking on the second rack up. Preheat to 425° then when the pizza goes in I push it to 475° to get the element on for the bottom to get cookin’.  Once it hits 475° I back it off to 450° to complete the bake. 

Sauce is just crushed tomatoes that I use a hand mixer to puree, add salt, pepper and oregano.  That's all HRI uses.

I did use some Italian seasoning on top of the pizza once out of the oven.

Questions?  Just ask.

Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Home Run Inn - RETOOLED
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 07:24:10 PM »
  Wow! 29% oil!! I use 12% on my cracker's and some think that is high. Does the high oil percentage with the low hydration make it easier to roll out?  When you say whisk everything, you mean everything but the flour, then add the flour slowly while the hook is moving? Good looking pie!!!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
Good questions.  Yes, I whisk everything but the flour. I don't add it slowly, I just toss it in and go. Flour in is last step before mixer.

"Rolling" the dough -  Actually, I don't even roll it, I form it completely by hand, just pushing out to a uniform thickness for the weight of the dough ball.  The pictured 9" pie was pushed out to 10” then rolled back to form rim.

Loo

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the good info Loo. By hand? Hmm. May have to give that a try.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:54:25 AM »
Dang, how many calories do you think are in each slice?? Also have you heard of anyone using yellow food coloring to achieve a brighter yellow?

Offline loowaters

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
Cutting calories isn't what this is designed to do...so I try not to think about it.  Regarding food coloring, it's not used by HRI but we know it's used by Gino's East.

Loo

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
Were there flaky layers?  I can't tell from the pix.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 08:35:44 AM »
I wouldn't call it flakey but I didn't try any "letter fold" techniques either but this would lend itself nicely to doing so. There's no buckiness to the dough at all, so other tinkering can be done to try to get that effect.

Loo

Offline Garvey

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
Did the crust have the stiff crunch that HRI is known for?  I would guess that with that much oil, it might have that same stiffness that DD has.  HRI has always been somewhere between the two styles.  That's what makes it so interesting.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
It's been so long since I've eaten in one of the restaurants that I don't recall how it compares...but it has a nice crunch.

Loo

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:58:55 PM »
That bottom shot looks pretty good.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:29 AM »
I dunno Loo.  The crust was pretty heavy (oil).  All I could taste was corn oil.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:02:58 AM by pythonic »

Offline loowaters

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
It sure looks good.  :chef:

It is heavy but the place I'm trying to get to is where the yeast is strong enough that it balances or becomes the predominant flavor.  Hey, never said it was perfect.  :D

Their crust has a crunch, it has little to no oven spring, and is quite yeasty in flavor.  What do you think could help create the flavor and physical characteristics of the HRI crust?

Loo 

Offline Garvey

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
Loo:

Have you tried making Nate's formulation for HRI yet?  It was from the huge thread you started years ago.  The community pulled together on this one to get as far as Nate got with it.  I'd be interested on your take.  (FYI--a few posts later, he switched the formulation a bit.  I've stitched the two together below.)

============================================

Nate's HRI Dough Formulation*

100% AP flour
20% fat (60% corn oil/40% shortening)
40% water
1% IDY
2% Salt
2% Sugar

Mixing:
Add yeast to flour.  Stir.  Add oil and stir with spoon.  Add shortening and cut in (I use my hands).  You want it to be course. 
Dissolve salt and sugar in water (Around 90F).  Add water to flour mixture and squeeze with hands until it becomes a ball.  Do not over mix. 
Let rest at room temp for 1 hour then move to fridge for 24-48hrs.

Assembly & Baking:
When ready to bake remove 2hrs before. 
Roll dough out to 1/4 inch and parbake at 450 degrees for 4 mins on preheated stone. 
Add toppings and bake for another 13 mins.

NOTE: Crust tastes best if you let the pizza sit for 8-10 mins out of oven.

============================================

*started as this and then was modded thusly

Offline loowaters

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
I haven't but I can see a couple things that aren't authentic.  No shortening in HRI formulation and no sugar, either.  Doesn't mean it's not worth tinkering with. I just know from my own eye test and the way it responds in the oven that there's too much water at 40%.  I'm sure it's still a good, pie.

Loo

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
It sure looks good.  :chef:

It is heavy but the place I'm trying to get to is where the yeast is strong enough that it balances or becomes the predominant flavor.  Hey, never said it was perfect.  :D

Their crust has a crunch, it has little to no oven spring, and is quite yeasty in flavor.  What do you think could help create the flavor and physical characteristics of the HRI crust?

Loo

What's lacking is a sheeter and real pizza oven.  Those two devices are the key.  I've been working part time at a shop and use their deck ovens.  The difference is night and day from what we pull out of our ovens at home as far as texture goes.

As in terms of oil, corn oil is very strong.  It overpowers everything (even the sauce and toppings).  15-20% is probably the sweet spot.  I used shortening in my formulation only because I was trying to achieve layering.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
Alright, a little adjusting. This was put together using the same steps as the original post.  The revised, higher hydration/lower oil content formulation is in a screenshot below. Also a little change in the TF.

Loo

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
That pizza looks really good!  Did you get that yeasty flavor that we find in the home run inn pizzas?  I am hoping to try one of these in the next week or two.  I have a 16" cutter pan that I think would work well with this pizza.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
There's a TON of yeast in this to attempt to get that flavor. Give it a quick try. A single skin that's mixed and kneaded by hand doesn't take long at all.  I'm looking for all kinds of feedback.

Loo

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »
There's a TON of yeast in this to attempt to get that flavor. Give it a quick try. A single skin that's mixed and kneaded by hand doesn't take long at all.  I'm looking for all kinds of feedback.

Loo

The only problem I have with the recipe is I don't have any corn oil, I'll have to get my hands on that first.  I pretty much only keep crisco and butter crisco, then EVOO and peanut oil.