A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to decide between Ooni Fyra/Karu vs EffeUno P134h  (Read 768 times)

Offline rs123

• I Love Pizza!
Trying to decide between Ooni Fyra/Karu vs EffeUno P134h
« on: June 24, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
Hi all, looking to get a new pizza oven to create Neapolitan pizzas indoors (it's always raining in Scotland and I don't have a garden).

I'm looking at two options Ooni (c.£230) vs Effeuno with Biscotto (c.£625) - the Ooni is signfinicalty cheaper, but has anyone managed to safely hack a way to use it indoors? I have pretty massive windows and could sit the Ooni by the open window, but I'm guessing that's a terrible idea?

Would majorly appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Offline Chopper01

• Tasty High Hydration Pie Addict.
Re: Trying to decide between Ooni Fyra/Karu vs EffeUno P134h
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:17:22 PM »
Hi all, looking to get a new pizza oven to create Neapolitan pizzas indoors (it's always raining in Scotland and I don't have a garden).

I've always wanted a

I'm looking at two options Ooni (c.£230) vs Effeuno with Biscotto (c.£625) - the Ooni is signfinicalty cheaper, but has anyone managed to safely hack a way to use it indoors? I have pretty massive windows and could sit the Ooni by the open window, but I'm guessing that's a terrible idea?

Would majorly appreciate any thoughts or advice!

I've always wanted a EffeUno P134h, but living in Canada can be a issue with the wall outlets. I had to settle with a North American Breville Pizzaiolo.

I've seen pics where people build chimneys for wood fire ovens to use indoors, maybe you can use the onni in a old style fireplace. Make sure you reverse the airflow in your fireplace first lol.  Personally that would'nt be a option i would choose for regular usage.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »
Definitely get the Effeuno because

1) You can safely use it indoors and it is designed for that.
2) You are not limited to Neapolitan pizza - you can also make Pizza in Teglia, Pizza in Pala, etc.
3) I've seen tons of great pizzas come out of p134h whereas most Ooni pizzas look like trash. I believe it is due to a rolling flame in an oven with a very low dome. The design is probably meant to optimize portability and ease of shipping over balance of heat. The Pizza Party Ardore is a much better oven since it has a proper dome shape, but the p134h is still the most versatile of the bunch.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:41:42 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline dragonspawn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 05:05:52 AM »
I have seen some very nice looking pies from members here made in ooni, roccbox etc.

I ordered one effeuno for inside use. And sold the Koda to upgrade the outdoors one.

I think that ooni's are not very suitable for indoor use. They are not designed to work with air vents, contain smoke or soot. And they indeed are tricky to get the pie right. They are capable and cheap. Even if you connect the chimney you still have to deal with wood ash and soot. And lets just not get started on a pizza torn by the peel with cheese and live flame ...

Ooni are amazing starter oven, portable oven or occasional one. If you are serious about about pizza you will upgrade anyway.

From what I have seen the new effeunos offer very high heat that is even. I even think there was a member here that mentioned that he didn't bother turning the pizza at all anymore.

I think that biting the bullet and buying the effeuno is the best in your case.

Also - whatever pizza oven you buy it will totally change how you cook meats  ;D I haven't eaten non pizza oven steak in a long time.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 07:40:46 AM »
The P134H is a great oven. using it indoors is safe and electric is super consistent.

Offline spaddl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 07:51:56 AM »
How about a gas option on the ooni ?
That should work indoor, no?

Offline Chopper01

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:44:43 AM »
How about a gas option on the ooni ?
That should work indoor, no?

Be cautious of carbon dioxide poisoning. 

Straight up it would prolly cost you more to setup a outdoor oven to use indoor.  If you mess up the propane setup you die of poisoning.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:27:22 AM by Chopper01 »

Offline Chopper01

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 10:48:43 AM »
If you really stuck on this idea, the most cost efficient way I can think of is set up a bracket outside your window to hold a wooden pizza oven.  It would look tacky but it would work. 

I'm just guessing, considering you would like to use a outdoor oven indoors, sounds you get winter seasons.  If you have summer all year around just step outside.

Online Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
Be cautious of carbon dioxide poisoning. 

Straight up it would prolly cost you more to setup a outdoor oven to use indoor.  If you mess up the propane setup you die of poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is the one you are thinking of.

Offline Chopper01

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »
Carbon monoxide is the one you are thinking of.

Thanks!

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
I have seen the results of propane used indoors, up close and personal in the burns units I've worked in over the years of working in critical care! NOT something you ever want to see much less go thru!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline rs123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback, super helpful!!

Sounds like the EffeUno is the way to go, and as cheap/good as the Ooni is, probably not worth risking a life over!

An expensive purchase, but sounds like it'll definitely be worth it! Cheers!

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »
You won't regret it. I know several professional pizzaiolos in Europe who use p134h as their home pizza oven and they swear by it.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Chopper01

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 04:23:30 PM »
Nice choice, i want one but they don't ship to Canada.  Post some pie pics when you get the oven.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
AFAIK, you can buy from Effeuno and arrange your own transport, maybe a way to get it to Canada.

Don't know what kind of electric system you have there, but if the same as in the US, then a cooker/dryer kind of outlet ought to give it the around 250V and the 12A it needs.

FWIW, I have one and think it's excellent.  Maybe not perfect, but really really good and versatile.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline typicalsam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 05:36:48 PM »
^^ I spoke to Gastrovens who were happy for me to arrange my own courier collection from their warehouse so I think anyone globally could make the same arrangement.

Re: the oven, I went through the exact same thought process. It really came down to the indoor v outdoor option, it really jusy rains too much here in Scotland, and plus the all the money that I saved during lockdown justified the additional price!

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 04:32:41 AM »
Congratulations! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline typicalsam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:00 AM »
Congratulations! :D
Thanks! there's been some ups and downs as you've seen in the other thread but im getting there slowly

Offline Chopper01

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 01:17:46 PM »
AFAIK, you can buy from Effeuno and arrange your own transport, maybe a way to get it to Canada.

Don't know what kind of electric system you have there, but if the same as in the US, then a cooker/dryer kind of outlet ought to give it the around 250V and the 12A it needs.

FWIW, I have one and think it's excellent.  Maybe not perfect, but really really good and versatile.

^^ I spoke to Gastrovens who were happy for me to arrange my own courier collection from their warehouse so I think anyone globally could make the same arrangement.

Re: the oven, I went through the exact same thought process. It really came down to the indoor v outdoor option, it really jusy rains too much here in Scotland, and plus the all the money that I saved during lockdown justified the additional price!

The things you find out after a purchase lol.

Hmm i wonder if that would work with pizzaparty and saputo....