A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Galbani at Costco  (Read 1498 times)

Offline icebob

• I Love Pizza!
Galbani at Costco
« on: July 03, 2020, 03:04:54 PM »
Nice find at Costco today, whole milk low moisture Galbani cheese. $8.99 for 5 lbs

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Re: Galbani at Costco
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »
That's a great price but I wish they would also carry it in a 5 lb block to avoid the anti-caking additives.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 02:19:23 AM »
Just bought some yesterday too! And agree, wish it were in blocks, looked around but no luck. Haven't tried it yet, will be my first time with it! Shreds were finer than I prefer, but price was right!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
They have all sorts of different things at my that they don't normally carry. Last week was the first time I  ever saw a SM tomato there. I think they are trying to keep the shelves full.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline icebob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:16 AM »
Same here for the SM tomatoes, got them for a couple weeks (Kirkland labeled) couple months ago and no more since...

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
Same here for the SM tomatoes, got them for a couple weeks (Kirkland labeled) couple months ago and no more since...

I tried them for the first time a couple of nights ago and I'm sad to say I was a little disappointed. The price is great but they had more of an orange hue to them than other SMs I've tried and were a little on the acidic side for my taste. Maybe it was just this batch.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »
I tried them for the first time a couple of nights ago and I'm sad to say I was a little disappointed. The price is great but they had more of an orange hue to them than other SMs I've tried and were a little on the acidic side for my taste. Maybe it was just this batch.
Iíve not experienced that with any of the cans I have opened.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »
Iíve not experienced that with any of the cans I have opened.

That's good to know as I've only tried one can so far.

Offline icebob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
Cooked a couples tonight and topped them with the Galbani, really nice melt/taste, hopefully my costco will keep selling it...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »
Yep, good ole Sorrento!!    Looks awesome ice.   :drool:.   :chef:

PS. What temp and time did you bake those beauties, please.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:03:46 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline icebob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 08:44:51 PM »
Blackstone, 690/700 lower stone, I would say about 3, 3.5 mins

Offline TheLittleItalianKitchen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 06:23:01 PM »
I also use galbani  itís the best that I have found so far but have only tried three or four brands.  Alway whole whole milk. Dave

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
I'm currently loaded with the case of Galbani Pro loafs I picked up from RD a few months ago.  I'm lazy so I tend to shred about 1/4 loaf at a time.  I cut 1/4 of the loaf away at a time from the current loaf I am working through that I keep in my fridge and then tightly re-wrap the cut end with plastic wrap before putting it back (showed this process on the "Oh The CHeese" thread here). 

For shredding all that cheese at once which is enough for 2-3 multi pizza baking sessions I add my personal "Anti Caking Agent" to that pile of shredded cheese which is about 1/4 cup of grated Romano that I toss all together in the huge plastic bowl I shredded it into.  That all goes into large ziplock bags that then go into the freezer.  I get the best of all worlds with that... Shredded cheese on demand that just takes a little time to thaw + the anti-caking aspects and the flavor the grated Romano provides.  So easy.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anyone who says you can't freeze cheese be it in whole loafs or shredded needs to try it - you can't tell the difference. 

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 08:19:39 PM »
Anyone know what the price at Costco currently is? I ask because when this thread was posted I had just bought a 5lb log at Smart & Final for $12.99. Which was what I've been paying there for months. I bought one last week and it was $17.99. That's quite a jump in price.  If Costco's still $9 I guess I gotta get a membership.

Offline Zing

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 01:05:05 AM »
Lactalis is also putting up 2 pound packages of this cheese. It seems to be available at the larger Royal Ahold supermarkets in the northeast. These are the Stop and Shop, Martin's, Giant of Carlisle, PA, and Giant of Landover, MD chains.

You can use the "Shop Aisles" feature of their websites (they are all the same except for the name at the top of the page) to see which stores in your area carry it. Pick ZIP codes near you. Search for "Galbani Mozzarella Cheese Whole Milk Low Moisture Shredded". Unfortunately, the prices range from $9 to $12 dollars for a 32 ounce bag, depending upon the chain and if they have it on deal. Additives are rice flour and powdered cellulose to prevent caking and natamycin to prevent mold.

I'm not sure how this compares with foodservice shredded Galbani, F/K/A Sorrento. That cheese was real good. This may be an option for people who do not have a COSTCO membership or location nearby.

Offline caymus

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 12:35:54 PM »
A local chain, ShopRite, has 1 lb packages on sale for $2.49 this week.

Offline Zing

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
A local chain, ShopRite, has 1 lb packages on sale for $2.49 this week.

I use that cheese (and the similar Polly-O) for my baked ziti and lasagna recipes. That is what Lactalis in California used to call high moisture cheese. The cheese that Gene and I posted about is LOW moisture mozzarella cheese, though that five pound bag has more anti-clumping ingredients than the two pound bags I saw. This is the first time I have seen Lactalis/Sorrento making low moisture mozzarella for supermarket sales.

Offline caymus

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
I use that cheese (and the similar Polly-O) for my baked ziti and lasagna recipes. That is what Lactalis in California used to call high moisture cheese. The cheese that Gene and I posted about is LOW moisture mozzarella cheese, though that five pound bag has more anti-clumping ingredients than the two pound bags I saw. This is the first time I have seen Lactalis/Sorrento making low moisture mozzarella for supermarket sales.

So is this actually low moisture?  Or just advertising?  Does low moisture have a legal definition?

Thanks

Offline Zing

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 04:53:40 AM »
WOW! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. For the last 20 years I have been buying high moisture 1 pound retail chunks of Sorrento (now Galbani) or PollyO whole milk mozzarella from ShopRite when it went on sale for $1.99. I guess Covid19 bumped up the price to $2.49. I saw Galbani advertised in the supermarket flyer this week, but didn't put on my reading glasses to read the fine print in the picture. The text in the ad only offers a choice of part skim or whole milk.

So, I went to the ShopRite website (they now make you sign in to do a product search, which is store specific) and see they now also offer low moisture one pound retail chunks. I guess they are now doing what they used to do on the west coast, when Sorrento offered Precious brand mozzarella in both high moisture and low moisture versions. I never got a sample of the Precious low moisture cheese.

I even wrote in my recipe book the UPC of the Sorrento/Galbani cheese I use, 74030-00003. ShopRite still lists that item for sale in my store. But I note they also now list 74030-00065, which is what your screen grab shows.

For years now, all the supermarket chains in the northeast offered PollyO, Sorrento/Galbani, Biazzo, a brand which Bazzutto wholesaled that I can't remember now, and their house brand chunk mozzarella. They were always wetter than what foodservice firms sold as low moisture xheese.

There is a legal definition for low moisture mozzarella in CFR 133-156, part of which reads: "The minimum milkfat content is 45 percent by weight of the solids and the moisture content is more than 45 percent but not more than 52 percent by weight as determined by the methods described in 133.5. The dairy ingredients are pasteurized. "

I looked at the website for my local Royal Ahold store and see they now list the low moisture cheese for sale in my store, but I didn't see it when I was there. It is on sale also, but at $3.99, down from $5.99. Maybe that it why it was sold out. Only ingredients are Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes.

But if the moisture content is more like 45% than 52%, that Galbani is a real steal since the supermarkets use it as a loss leader around here.

Offline Zing

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
Had to go to my Royal Ahold supermarket this afternoon, and found a large amount of the low moisture Galbani mozzarella that caymus discovered. It was right next to the 'high moisture" Galbani mozzarella that I had been buying for years. While Galbani and PollyO pack the high moisture cheese as rectangular blocks, the Galbani is packed as a log. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the spongy feel of the high moisture cheese. This cheese was much harder, more like what a chub of bologna feels like. Notice to all cherry pickers: the expiration date is three months out.  The plant code indicated it came from the Lactalis plant in Nampa, Idaho.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:36:30 PM by Zing »