A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Al taglio, 24 HR shaping vs day of?  (Read 508 times)

Offline abrams892

• I Love Pizza!
Al taglio, 24 HR shaping vs day of?
« on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »
So after trying a couple different methods I am wondering what is the main different between keeping the bulk longer, and shaping the day of and doing a room temp proof (usually 4hr for me), or shaping 24 hours in advanced? Do you bake from cold for the 24 hr preshape? I am confused as the right time for these two, or if I am completely misunderstanding. Is one more appropriate than the other for specific needs or situations? Do you still room temp proof your 24 hr or bake from cold?

Thank you

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Al taglio, 24 HR shaping vs day of?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »
So after trying a couple different methods I am wondering what is the main different between keeping the bulk longer, and shaping the day of and doing a room temp proof (usually 4hr for me), or shaping 24 hours in advanced? Do you bake from cold for the 24 hr preshape? I am confused as the right time for these two, or if I am completely misunderstanding. Is one more appropriate than the other for specific needs or situations? Do you still room temp proof your 24 hr or bake from cold?

Thank you

I made both 24H CF and 24H RTF.
When CF, I CF in bulk and ball 3-4H before baking as well.
When RTF, I ball after mixing (0.5 to 3H after, depending on what's convenient for me).

What I noticed is that when the dough is in advanced stage of fermentation (when RTF), the late balling isn't good: gluten seems already strengthened and late balling gives a similar result as a re-balling: the dough seems to have "nerves", you end up with thin  spots which break.
I don't have this problem with a late balling after a CF.

What I call "late balling" is not 1H before baking, rather 3 to 7 hours (although I don't recall having had any trouble at 6-7H for either kind of fermentation).

Notice that the remarks above can depend on the hydration, I'd say that the higher the hydration, the later the dough can be balled.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress