A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My lazy protocol for focaccia  (Read 338 times)

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
My lazy protocol for focaccia
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
use fresh water

70 to 85% hydration
0.7% CY
3% salt

Mixed with Flat Beater

- Add all the water, yeast and salt to the bowl. Dissolve
- Add 50% of the total flour
- Mix at low speed until combined
- Let it rest covered for 20 minutes. You can use plastic wrap to cover the dough each time it rest.
- Then, start mixing again, normal speed, and add progressivly the remaining flour (like a big soup spoon each 1 minute)
- When all the flour is added, mix at high speed until the dough unstick of the bowl

- Let it rest in the bowl for 45min - 1h
- Wet your hands and do a coil fold ()
- Let it rest again 45min - 1h and then do another coil fold (wet hand if it sticks).
- Do again some coil fold if needed. At the end you should have a perfect window pane and a smooth dough

At this point when the coils fold are over, two options:
1) Let it rise at RT until the dough growth by 20% - 30%.
or
2) weight and divide the dough for each focaccia. Put each dough into a proportioned oiled  bowl (glass is a must). The dough should have the possibility to rise by 20 - 30%

Option 2 is more convenient. Time of rising should be 1h/1h30 max. It's not a bad thing if it doesn't seems to rise.

- When the dough has risen, put it in the fridge for 24h to 72h, depending on when you want to bake the foccacia.

THE DAY OF THE BAKING

- Oil your baking sheet. You can add lightly some somolina rimanincita for crispness
- Take your dough out of the fridge and turn your bowl on the baking sheet. Wait until the dough fall onto the baking sheet. If you hadn't divided the dough for each baking sheet, you can divide them and put the good prortion in each baking sheet
- Oil your dough and cover it
- For the next 4h, each 30min-1h you can use your finger to help the dough to spread on the baking sheet. Easy !

- Preheat your oven at 230°C at rotating heat. If you have an optional bottom heating, select it
- When the dough has finished the 4h rest, add the topping and bake it 8min directly on the bottom of the oven.
- After the 8 minutes, displace the dough to the middle of the oven and bake it for 4 to 8 minutes depending on how much you like it

Voilą! It always succeed for me and it's not really difficult to make

Let me know if you have some remarks or issues, and post your pics!

Online Pizza_Not_War

Re: My lazy protocol for focaccia
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »
That isn't a very lazy method, you are just used to doing it that way. I mix, let it rest for an hour, stretch/fold, another hour rest and then spread in pan for 15 or so hours in the fridge, remove for a few hours and bake. That is more lazy IMO.

Mine is loosely based on a King Arthur Sourdough recipe. Credit given!

Offline ARenko

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 04:12:07 PM »
I'm sure it's good, but this sounds more complicated than lazy and much longer than necessary.  I mix dough by hand, stretch and fold over the course of an hour, rest 4 hours at RT, pour into pan, stretch to fill pan over the course of 30 min, and then let rise another 45 minutes before baking.   

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
Well, I've written many steps but I can assure you that you won't sweat at all with this method.

- no hand mixing
- flexible dough
- no streching catastrophy the day of baking

That's what I was meaning by 'lazy'.  :-D

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress