A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pellet hopper assembly in DIY oven?  (Read 407 times)

Offline fMD87

• I Love Pizza!
Pellet hopper assembly in DIY oven?
« on: July 06, 2020, 09:10:52 PM »
Hi everyone, I have a spare pellet hopper assembly that could be used to electrically modulate and burn a certain amount of pellets. It's adjustable from about 5k to 24k BTU. Does anyone know if someone has used one of these before?

Offline orcagriffin1

• al taglio, tonda, NY, Chicago
Re: Pellet hopper assembly in DIY oven?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »
I haven't seen one that size specifically used to fire an oven with high temps. I have 4 smokers: 2 use coal and wood and the other 2 are pellet (rec Tex 700 and Yoder ys640). The intent with the two pellet smokers is under 350. It's not to say it can't go higher -in fact the Yoder reports it can grill when you remove a false bottom plate to allow the fire to blast passed the tray. I think one of the portable camping pizza ovens uses pellets, but there's no auger per se like a pellet smoker and the one you show. It's an interesting idea to see if you can manage temps from 400-900 using a pellet and auger method inside a pizza oven. Now the dynamics of any oven are what will change your output. Many augers (and even home ovens) report a particular BTU, but when you built the oven/smoker/cooker and add the physical cooking control (be it has, wood, etc), it'll be different. Unless you are an engineer, I am not, you'd have to build an oven that can allow the auger to push BTUs that high and regulate hear to a reasonable degree. Hope that makes sense, it does in my head.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pellet hopper assembly in DIY oven?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
It is not suitable for making a pizza oven.
You could make a pellet grill with it, sell it on one of the bbq forums.
I'm sure if the price is right, someone would buy it for spare parts.
Many pellet grills use that setup.
FGM 800-B

A D V E R T I S E M E N T