A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: gonna start on a starter today, a few questions  (Read 1221 times)

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: gonna start on a starter today, a few questions
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »
Keep it up!  ;D
I have been keeping 2 very small 1/2 pint  jars of the same starter. Each holds about 50g with head room for double expansion. I use about 40 grams of it at a time, then replenish and let it rise before it goes back in the fridge. It will usually be ready to use for a whole week, but sometimes it deflates so I discard all but a little and feed it once, and it is usually ready to go within a few hours. If it is sluggish, I discard half and feed it again. and it usually bounce back strong after that. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:28:56 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
Got another question, it didn't grow as much yesterday, but still grew. Question is, it was very bubbly on the top, but when I discarded it, it was almost like a separate foamy layer. There were still bubbles in what was left, but the other days when I discard it came out as 1 mass. Today the super bubbly top was a lot lighter and rolled off on it's own.  Since day 4, I've been discarding and feeding it twice a day. It was also way
 way stronger smelling. If what I just fed ends up smelling the same I'll have my roommate smell it later, it was almost too strong for my nose. I wouldn't say a bad smell, I dunno.  I'm curious about the foaminess of the top though.

*EDIT* well what I fed today doesn't smell as strong and bubbly top's a lot thicker, so I'm guessing everything's good. I gave it the water test and it floated, I have a question though, I want to make pancakes with the discard tomorrow, but I won't have enough starter. The recipe calls for 250g. Assuming I don't discard any tonight, how much should I feed it next time? I read a few articles that said when you don't discard you need to feed it more than whatever your normal is.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:47:01 PM by Quebert »

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »
I do pancakes from the stuff I discard anyway at that very moment. If you have a liquidy starter itís difficult (you may have to mix some flour in to make it less liquid) but if you have/make a firmer starter that you fed the night before you can use that and just mix some eggs in there with sugar, butter, vanilla extract and a bit of sodium bicarbonate to neutralize the acid and to make it more puffy. Since itís already hydrated I use very little milk with it.
Ideally you make your sourdough pancake batter the night before by mixing the starter with milk and flour but thats too much work for me so I started making the batter straight from leftover 12h old starter.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »
cweOf course I didn't look up a recipe until it was too late last night to make the pancake batter then and let it sit in the fridge. I ended up making 1/2 the recipe and it was killer. I didn't discard any of what was left and I added 100g of both. 2 hours later my quart bottles about 90% full, it grew like 3x in 2 hours so that's a good sign. I gotta go track down a bigger canning bottle though with the bottle almost full I weighed it and still don't have enough starter for the pizza dough I want to make in a few days.  Thankfully flours cheap and the process here is so easy I don't even think I could mess it up at this point. I'm upset for a few years now for whatever reason I thought making a starter was hard, I obviously didn't do any reading to come to that conclusion lol. Now I just have to figure out how much I need to discard/feed to keep a 2 quart bottle full without it overflowing everywhere. 

I know everything I've read says once it's mature it's really hard to kill a starter so I should be safe playing with it.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 05:25:34 PM »
Well, my starter seems to be great, I pulled it out the fridge yesterday around 1PM, fed it and by 5 it was back and had grown a ton. I haven't made pizza with it yet, and I'm just getting down how to make a good pizza with yeast. But of course that didn't stop me from hyping up my sourdough pizza to roommates and a few friends lol. Now they all want to try, so I made 6 balls with starter and am hoping tomorrow night the pizzas turn out.  It would have been smart for me to I dunno, not say anything before I made a test pizza first to see how it comes out. But what fun is that? I followed the recipe PizzApp+ gave me, hoping for the best.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 05:29:25 PM »
In Italian they would say "in bocca al lupo", I think the equivalent of a "break a leg"! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Bchad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »
If you can show us pictures of your pizza. I've been following this thread very informative...thx!

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 05:41:29 PM »
If you can show us pictures of your pizza. I've been following this thread very informative...thx!

All I have right now is an iPhone SE, pretty crummy camera but I'll snap some. I'm making pizzas tonight, did my first 72h CT and it's been in the fridge since Wednesday.  Hopefully I can make some picture-worthy pizza.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 01:52:53 AM »
So I made 5 pizzas, I took a bunch of pictures they weren't great. I  took the best looking few and here they are.

The recipe as I remember it

60% water
3% salt
3% sugar
2.5% oil
170g starter - I might be off here.
It was around 550g high gluten flour.

So I wanted the crust to be bigger, I intentionally didn't go as far out with my fingers while forming it. It's bigger than my last but it was still lacking in size. Maybe puffiers a better word. The picture of the pizza was the last I took, it's HOT here today and I tried to make it a 12" (I usually do 10") and it came out looking like a football. I just couldn't get it to hold it's shape.  Launching it I was almost sure I'd be trying to salvage it as a Calzone. I managed to save it, ugly pizza but with that said it was DELICIOUS. One of the best pizzas I've ever had. And I'm my harshest critic. The crust was thin and a little crunchy, I could definitely taste the sourdough and it added a lot. The texture was also good, inside was chewy and soft. I was out of tomato sauce so I  minced some garlic up in olive oil and sauteed and that was my base.

If my next 72h CT starter dough pizzas come out tasting like this, I'm probably not going to change anything dough wise. The other 4 pizza were for others, whatever feedback they give me I'll add to this thread.  It's pretty damn difficult to cook a NY well in an Ooni Koda, the temp be all over the place, so none of the 5 tonight cooked at the same temp lol. Mine was 650f'ish for 6 minutes.  For the next batch I'll go dig up my DSLR so I can take some real pics.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:13:11 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 07:19:22 AM »
Well I got the first 2 feedbacks, one from my roommate. She liked the sourdough a lot, and said after tasting the garlic infused olive oil sauce she doesn't care if she ever has another pizza with tomato sauce on it again. I asked specifically about how noticeable the sourdough was, and it's texture. She said it was very noticeable and the texture was good. She has an extremely good palet for picking out flavors so she's good to ask. The 2nd feedback was from her brother, I'll just say he really enjoys food.  His feedback is worthless as he doesn't find anything wrong with most of what he eats. He said it was good, about 5 pizza batches ago he told me my pizza was better than Little Ceasers. Which coming from him I think was like the ultimate compliment lol.

I know I need to try making pizzas with Poolish & BIGA. But as far as I'm concerned Sourdough's gonna be really hard to beat.   And so long as I feed it the same flour once a week it should stay about the same sourness (I think?) it's almost zero maintenance, and hard to screw up/kill at this point which are all pluses for me lol.  Next batch I'll try upping the hydration to I dunno, 65% maybe to see the difference.

Gonna look up a bread recipe I can use in my bread machine and try making a loaf of sourdough tomorrow, and some sort of small baguettes for bread sticks. I also want to make sourdough buttermilk biscuits soon. Anyone reading this who hasn't made a starter - DO IT!  I have a quart jar about a 1/3rd full, and a 2 quart jar about 60% sitting in my fridge. I can pull one out tomorrow at 10am, feed it and by 3 it's ready to use.  Also learned on here putting the jar in a bowl of warm/hot water will bring it back to life quicker.  Last feeding I did this and had it bubbling over in maybe 90 minutes.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
3rd person just said they ate the whole thing for lunch and that the crust was good.  I made them a 10" 190g ball.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 12:52:48 AM »
So I made more tonight, I tried the stretch and fold method to make the dough. Dunno if I did something wrong there, but it was difficult to stretch once open.  Could have been too little water but I did weigh everything on my scale. I'll try again with 1 more stretch and fold when I'm making the dough (did 3 this time) Crust was good and texture was nice.  The pizza tasted super, I had a few bottom pics but they didn't come out, at all. I purposely left more crust when I was opening so I could see how airy the crust would be.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:02:48 PM by Pete-zza »