A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What style of pizzas yield good results without a stone/steel?  (Read 307 times)

Online Re4otiare

I definitely mean GOOD when I ask this question. I don't want to go to the trouble of figuring out why my pizzas aren't coming out right if I'm making ones that aren't really suited to be prepared without using a pizza stone/steel.

Offline gamblersruin

• Supporting Member
  • London, UK!
Re: What style of pizzas yield good results without a stone/steel?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 07:37:55 AM »
Sicilian/anything cooked in a tray. I use my regular oven at 500f and get good results.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 07:52:29 AM »
The pan is my favorite at home but American style and NY style pizza work great with a screen.   I have set many friends up with them and they love the results.   A stone is more authentic for NY style, but you can still make a great one with a screen.  American style usually cooks on a screen anyhow (think papa johns/domino's etc.) so its fairly easy to make them just like the originals, especially if you have a convection oven to simulate the air impingement ovens.  I usually use the convection feature for only part of the bake.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:55:00 AM by scott r »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 07:54:32 AM »
Detroit Style, Cast Iron, Chicago Thin, Bar Pie.
Hans

Online Re4otiare

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
The pan is my favorite at home but American style and NY style pizza work great with a screen.   I have set many friends up with them and they love the results.   A stone is more authentic for NY style, but you can still make a great one with a screen.  American style usually cooks on a screen anyhow (think papa johns/domino's etc.) so its fairly easy to make them just like the originals, especially if you have a convection oven to simulate the air impingement ovens.  I usually use the convection feature for only part of the bake.
So my takeaway is it's good to aim for American style pizzas and at least use a pizza screen. Is there one you would recommend?  Also, is the pizza cooked directly on the screen by itself or does the screen need to be put inside a pan?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
I bake my American style pizza right on the screen. Just make sure your screens are seasoned, if they are not seasoned the pizzas will stick to the screens and you will have a difficult time separating the two. As you continue to use your seasoned screen(s) they will continue to darken (a good thing) which will further improve the baking properties of the screen. Do NOT wash a seasoned screen, just wipe it down with a clean towel or paper towel after each use. Once you begin to get some color on your seasoned screens they do not need to be oiled for each use (I do suggest lightly oiling the screens before each use even after seasoning) for the first few bakes though.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 03:02:25 PM »
another thing to think about if you are new to using a screen is that if your dough is too wet, or if you press toppings into the pizza, your dough will bake into the screen and you will never get it off.  Something like a 63 percent hydration or lower should work great with most flours.   I found this screen on amazon.  It should fit in any oven.   Some ovens can fit 18 inch screens, and they even make rectangular ones that can maximize your oven space if you are trying to feed a large group.

Online Re4otiare

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
another thing to think about if you are new to using a screen is that if your dough is too wet, or if you press toppings into the pizza, your dough will bake into the screen and you will never get it off.  Something like a 63 percent hydration or lower should work great with most flours.   I found this screen on amazon.  It should fit in any oven.   Some ovens can fit 18 inch screens, and they even make rectangular ones that can maximize your oven space if you are trying to feed a large group.

I ended up getting the 14in. version. It's only a 2 inch difference, but space is getting limited...

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
I agree with everything that has been suggested so far.  The pan pizzas work well in the temperature ranges afforded by a regular home oven.  For certain styles that are traditionally baked on a hearth, I have found that the lowly pizza screen, as mentioned above, can produce exceptional results if used correctly.  In addition to what Scott has said about slack doughs and toppings when using a screen, I'd also mention that once the dough is stretched and dressed, it needs to go into the oven fairly quickly.  If you wait too long the dough will ferment and get entangled into the mesh.  I don't recommend using parchment paper to avoid this problem because it will act as a buffer between the pizza crust and the heat source.

Pizza stones and steels work very well, if used properly, but I am unwilling to let my oven run full throttle for upwards of an hour in order to reach proper heat saturation.  And without proper heat saturation, stones and steels will actually act as insulators, defeating their intended purpose.

I always recommend pizza screens to new pizza makers not just because they are a very small investment ($), but because they can produce a superlative finished product.

Rolls
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:23:03 PM by Rolls »
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »
First thing I did was get a screen from advice on this forum but it didn't work because it's only good if your heat element is at the bottom of the oven. Mine is at the back of the oven, surrounding the convection fan.  No point putting the screen at the bottom of the oven, if there is no heat source there..    Still it comes in handy as once the pizza comes out the oven I use it like a wire wrack.

Just some advice because others on this forum may have an oven like mine. 

That's why I bought a steel, it solved the problem of not enough bottom heat.

Offline Highsinger

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:56:05 PM »
First thing I did was get a screen from advice on this forum but it didn't work because it's only good if your heat element is at the bottom of the oven. Mine is at the back of the oven, surrounding the convection fan.  No point putting the screen at the bottom of the oven, if there is no heat source there..    Still it comes in handy as once the pizza comes out the oven I use it like a wire wrack.

Just some advice because others on this forum may have an oven like mine. 

That's why I bought a steel, it solved the problem of not enough bottom heat.

Oh man! I have that kind of oven too and was getting hopeful about screens as I read this thread, since it's so hard to get good browning with this stupid oven. Darn.
If you're finding that using a steel does the trick, that may be my next thing. I definitely don't like the idea of preheating it for an hour though.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:19:53 PM »
Add Chicago thin, bar pies and Roman pizza al taglio to the list of pan pizzas that work well in home ovens. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.