A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Storing Brioche Hamburger Rolls  (Read 365 times)

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Storing Brioche Hamburger Rolls
« on: July 30, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »
Hi Tom & others,

I've been asked to prepare some burger buns for a family get together of about 30 people.  I've been experimenting with an enriched dough that contains flour, milk, eggs, butter, salt, sugar and yeast.  To help extend shelf life, I've adapted the recipe to include a milk/water based roux or tangzhong.  My question has to do with properly storing the buns to maintain maximum freshness and food safety, since the buns need to be made the day before the event.  Refrigeration is available at the event location.  How should I manage this?  I was also wondering if brushing the hot, freshly baked rolls with melted butter will create an issue if the buns need to be stored in the fridge. 

Thanks in advance.  Glad to see you back on the forum.

Rolls, confused about rolls ???
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Storing Brioche Hamburger Rolls
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:44:14 PM »
Rolls;
To retain maximum freshness in the buns, if you are going to use the walk-in cooler, first turn it off and allow it to warm up to room temperature or better yet, 85 to 90F. Refrigerated temperatures are the temperature at which bakery foods stale at their fastest rate. The slowest staling is experienced at 85 to 90F., but not for more than 3 to 4-days as after that mold is going to be the issue not staling.
My advice:
Brush with melted butter or Ghee.
Allow to cool to 95 to 100F.
Place into plastic bags and close using a twist tie.
Store in a warm area until used on the following day.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:01:38 PM »
Tom,

I don't have access to a walk-in cooler, just a regular refrigerator, so my 3 options for storage are: regular fridge temp., room temp., or a camping cooler packed with gel packs.  I'll be making the buns in Toronto and they'll be brought to the property 2 hours north of Toronto, to be consumed on the following day.

If I can store the buns at RT overnight that would be optimal but I'm concerned about the hot summer temperatures and whether that affects food safety.  If the buns are brushed with melted butter, cooled to RT, then bagged and stored at RT, will they be good the following day?

Thank you.

Rolls

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 04:01:35 PM »
Absolutely! No different from most of the premium breads, rolls and pastries sold at the local supermarket. The only reason why some pastries have to be refrigerated is because they have some kind of perishable filling inside them (like my favorite....the chocolate eclair) or a cheese Danish which may not need refrigeration if the cheese mixture is applied pre as opposed to post bake. Even the butter that you're putting onto the crust immediately after baking will not warrant refrigeration.
Just store at room temperature, and even if it's a little warmer it won't hurt at all.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 04:32:19 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I can sleep easier now. :-D

Rolls

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:22:42 PM »
Rolls;
Sweet dreams........ :-D
Rom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 02:31:28 AM »
Rolls,

Don't forget to tell us how it went! And pictures of course if you can ^^
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »
Rolls,

Don't forget to tell us how it went! And pictures of course if you can ^^

This bake is now in the books and I'm happy to report that the burger rolls were a resounding success.  Not content to leave "good enough" alone, I decided to alter the recipe from the one used in my test bakes.  I used vegetable oil instead of butter for the fat component and I'm glad that I did.  I found the recipe with butter to be too rich, tasting more like viennoiserie pastry rather than a typical hamburger bun.  The buns were still very fresh despite being consumed the day after they were baked.  Thanks again to Tom for his guidance.

Yael, I don't have any pictures to share because my photography and computer skills are perhaps inferior to those of the average kindergarten tot :-[, but I followed the recipe from the following YouTube video, which I highly recommend.  Mine turned out exactly the same.

Rolls

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:32:10 PM by Rolls »

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 01:15:45 AM »
Rolls,

Thanks for the video, I'll try this one! And glad to see it was a success  :D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 01:39:05 AM »
Rolls,

Thanks for the video, I'll try this one! And glad to see it was a success  :D

Thanks Yael.  I should mention that the only thing I changed from the recipe in the video is that my aluminum foil rings were 3.75 inches (9.5 cm) in diameter, rather than 4.5 inches (11.5 cm) and I reduced the dough weight of each roll to 90g down from 125g.  By using the aluminum foil rings lined with the parchment paper collars allows the dough to ferment upwards, resulting in a tall bun, which I like. 

Rolls