A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mixer Time  (Read 232 times)

Offline Ricko

• I Love Pizza!
Mixer Time
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:52:50 AM »
When making dough for NP and using a mixer, what would be the recommend mix time? Low speed?

This post, https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58982.msg591845#msg591845, reply #2 recommended 20 minutes on low speed. I have a Sunmix 10 spiral mixer which is a work horse and could handle the 20 minutes if need be, but that seems a bit long.

For those of you who use a mixer for NP dough, what kind of mixer times are you using?

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Mixer Time
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:01:43 AM »
I may be atypical, but at the moment I put it all in my Sun6 and let it go for 5 minutes at the lowest speed.  One can also start with water, salt and yeast and add the flour bit by bit.  If so it would take longer than 5 minutes.

I've been taught that Neapolitan doesn't need much gluten development.  20 minutes sounds like a very long time, and would probably result in a quite chewy pizza.  I suppose the time might also vary a bit depending on how much dough you are making.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:37:23 AM »
At best, someone can only give you an approximation for how long to mix any given dough, because, as is often the case in baking, there are so many variables involved.  In this case, the type of mixer, the dough hydration and the batch size are but 3 considerations, among many others, that will affect mixing time.  While 20 minutes in a spiral mixer may overwork a dough, the same 20 minutes in a fork mixer, often used for Neapolitan pizza doughs, might not be enough to get you where you need to be.  Keep your eye on the dough and not on the clock and just mix to the right consistency, ie. a smooth, satiny, cohesive dough that is tacky to the touch but not sticky.  Full gluten development, as indicated by the windowpane test, is not necessary for 2 main reasons: first, the dough will continue to develop on its own during the long resting period prior to baking which is typical in pizza making (this rest period facilitates dough stretching); secondly, unlike a loaf of bread, your pizza doesn't require the same degree of gluten development in order to get maximum expansion, or oven spring, during the baking process.

Rolls

Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »
What Rolls says is correct. According to member Marco Parente (pizzanapoletana), the 20 minutes cited by the VPN assumes use of a fork mixer. See, for example, his post at Reply 164 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1298.msg13809;topicseen#msg13809

Marco also tended to consider the 20 minute mix time to be "crap", as he said in Reply 116 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1298.msg13378;topicseen#msg13378

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T