A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzeria DiLauro  (Read 21906 times)

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #280 on: April 07, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »
My normal "weekend wings" involve an overnight brine, low temp smoke for a couple hours until 160ish, then dropped in a hot fryer for a couple minutes to get finished up. Best wings ever, but require some planning ahead....Not too long ago I had a weeknight wing craving so I just seasoned and tossed on a gas grill for a quick direct cook. They were almost as awesome. Point is, wings are wings, and they are pretty tough to screw up.

Offline jetguy41

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #281 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:11 AM »
Thanks everyone. The chicken wings when we started then out were confit, I have since changed the process due to consistency and storage, but the confit when they are great they are great. We would rinse and dry, cure with a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar and chili flakes. After 24 hours rinse all the cure off, dry again and submerge in rendered chicken fat. We cooked them in the oven for 2-3 hours at 500 degrees until the meat started pulling away from the bone. We would then have to remove the chicken wings from the fat one by one with tongs and layer them on a sheet tray with a rack so they had airflow all around them and leave exposed on a speed rack in the walk in for 24 hours to build the Pellicle and dry out the skin. After that whole process they had to be individually layered between parchment paper in a sealed container. We would then fry to order until very crispy and fall off the bone, about 5 minutes at 375. After we lunched the wings I realized I simply didnít have enough storage for 3 day process on chicken wings. We are flying through them.

Now that's dialed in!  I hear ya on the workload for an ancillary item on your menu...good to keep the process for making them at home.  Thanks for the info! 

Offline jetguy41

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #282 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »
My normal "weekend wings" involve an overnight brine, low temp smoke for a couple hours until 160ish, then dropped in a hot fryer for a couple minutes to get finished up. Best wings ever, but require some planning ahead....Not too long ago I had a weeknight wing craving so I just seasoned and tossed on a gas grill for a quick direct cook. They were almost as awesome. Point is, wings are wings, and they are pretty tough to screw up.

True words.  Although I've had some very horrible wings from many pizza places, seems to be an afterthought for some restaurants.  Oil temps were way off, not a good wing when that happens.  Now back to pizza...lol.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T