A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC guy makes NYC pie  (Read 1501 times)

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot, boss
Re: NYC guy makes NYC pie
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
The Sicilian looks really good. Did you make any knots to go with it?  :chef:

Edit: also, call Sansone before you go to tell them what you want. They may need to run over to the warehouse to get it as the new retail shop has limited selection.

Thank you !! You know, I havenít made knots since before I had a steel, I should give it another go!

And good call about Sansone, will do - thanks again!
@threeslicejoints on Instagram!

Offline Peter B

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
Yep exactly, and she posts here! Did you hear her give the forum a shout out? ;)

Haha - you bet! 

I know I saw this video a few years ago, but I have been watching this series again since I started working on my pizza-making again.  My wife asked me the other day how I heard about this forum, and I wasn't sure.  My guess was that it is mentioned in The Pizza Bible.  But having re-watched this video, it is possible that was my source.

And I stumbled on this to help with the cheese / sauce question from above.  This is coincidentally posted by Norma:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14822.msg147190.html#msg147190

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot, boss
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 11:31:36 PM »
Tonight's attempt:

Made a 16" pie. Dough based on the Scarr's clone on this forum once again. Jersey Fresh Crushed, WM + PS mix (Cherry Valley / Galbani), Lioni Fresh Mozz, Fresh grated parm to finish. Came out looking pretty great to me. Think I maybe under-sauced this one. Still struggling with flavor overall.

I still have been dealing with WM / PS Mozz that is either Biazzo, Galbani, or various store brands as it is usually all I can find. I have used Bianco DiNapoli and Jersey Fresh for my sauce now and both have been great - maybe not exactly where I want the flavor to be but close enough that I don't think my sauce is the issue. My question to the pros here is this - I still haven't gotten my hands on Grande brand Mozz - could this truly be the missing link? I keep finding myself disappointed with the cheese flavor, though I've seen multiple people on the forum mention the brands I've used and have seemed to be okay with it. I need to bite the bullet and get out to Sansone's to grab some Grande but just haven't gotten around to it. Will I notice a big difference you think? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

All told, I've only been making my own dough from scratch since this July after years of using pre-purchased pizza joint dough, and the progress is visible, which is what keeps me going, and tonights looked great to me, though in my last few attempts the flavor keeps discouraging me.
@threeslicejoints on Instagram!

Offline Peter B

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 08:19:50 AM »
That does look good - especially sliced up!

I tried Grande once and I thought it was spot on for what I was looking for.  Having said that - more recently, we picked up some on our way back from a road trip.  It sat out (uncooled) for 2 hours.  When I went to use it, I didn't think it was that great.  I am chalking it up to my mishandling, because I had such a positive experience before.  Lately, I have been using the WMLM Mozz from Trader Joe's and I think it has been fine.  I also know a source for the deli size brick of Polly-o, but I just have not tried it yet.

Some things to try to goose the flavor just a tad: sprinkle a little fine salt on the pizza when it comes out, maybe try a drizzle of olive oil (small drizzle), I make a habit of grating some hard cheese over the sauce before I spread the mozz and some more after I pull from the oven.  To me - I think the cheese issue I had was an umami issue and those things were my attempts to address.  Lately - I have just been doing the grated hard cheese before and after bake.  I have not found a need for the salt, but I have been cutting down on my salt intake over the months and my taste buds may just be readjusting.

I would think you could pretty easily find the Polly-o Deli style brick somewhere that would cut a pound chunk for you.  If a Trader Joe's is within reach, I'd suggest that too. 

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »

I would think you could pretty easily find the Polly-o Deli style brick somewhere that would cut a pound chunk for you.  If a Trader Joe's is within reach, I'd suggest that too.
I also like Trader Joe's mozzarella pretty well, although it's not quite up there with the best I've used. And I don't know what it is about their other cheeses, but I find them to be really hit or miss. It seems like if it costs $6/lb or more, it's usually pretty good, but below that cost, it's a gamble. I've had a few varieties of their less expensive cheeses that I found to be very lackluster. However, another thing they carry that's totally killer, IMO, is their California plum tomatoes. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them on the shelf for a while, but they only cost something like $1.79 a can, and they're honestly among the best I've used for pizza sauce. I recommend them highly.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Peter B

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 07:39:02 AM »
I also like Trader Joe's mozzarella pretty well, although it's not quite up there with the best I've used. And I don't know what it is about their other cheeses, but I find them to be really hit or miss. It seems like if it costs $6/lb or more, it's usually pretty good, but below that cost, it's a gamble. I've had a few varieties of their less expensive cheeses that I found to be very lackluster. However, another thing they carry that's totally killer, IMO, is their California plum tomatoes. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them on the shelf for a while, but they only cost something like $1.79 a can, and they're honestly among the best I've used for pizza sauce. I recommend them highly.

Thanks for the tip on the CA plum tomatoes!  I foresee trying lots of different tomatoes in the coming months, and I would love it if a Trader Joe's product ended up working well.

Funny but I don't think I have ever seen a 'cheap' cheese at TJ's, but maybe those are just the ones I never even check.  Unexpected Cheddar is awesome.  I think the best cheddar I ever had is Beecher's (which is in Seattle and if you can get their frozen Mac and Cheese somewhere - GET IT), and I think the Unexpected Cheddar is not too far off.  For their WMLM Mozz, I would agree - it is not absolutely top shelf, but I think it is much better than average.  When I compare to what I checked the regular grocery stores here for (generally finding part skim), having the TJs at my disposal is always the safe option.   :chef:

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 09:53:45 PM »

Funny but I don't think I have ever seen a 'cheap' cheese at TJ's, but maybe those are just the ones I never even check.
I guess I should say "cheap compared to regular grocery store cheeses", but even that is not always true. When you can get a full pound block of decent quality mozzarella cheese for $4/lb or less, that's a good thing, but it's not necessarily the norm when you take into account all the different types of stores that carry cheese.  Anyway, 18 years ago, I worked at a beer/wine/fine foods store for a few months, and I got really spoiled trying all kinds of imported and artisan cheeses and learning about them. Having had that experience, and being (I guess I have to admit) a bit of a 'cheese snob', I know what a lot of cheese varieties are supposed to taste like, and so when I see a variety of cheese that normally sells for something like $15/lb or more, priced at $6/lb or less (like Comte or Gouda or Gruyere, for example), let's just say I'm extremely skeptical, and I cannot help comparing it to other cheeses that are in those higher price ranges. And I do not spare the rod on my critiques just because a particular cheese happens to be relatively cheap. I judge by how it should taste, regardless of what price it's at. I have tried several varieties of TJ's cheese in the last couple of years since they opened up a store in my town, and there have definitely been some that have fallen short of the mark on flavor, by my standards, whether you might consider them 'cheap' or not.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 02:04:04 AM »
hey, that looks like a good start! here are some ideas:
- to my eye, youíre over-baking your pies. the crust looks a little too dark and the cheese is oiling off. whatís your baking temp and time? pls post a pic of the undercrust of a slice.
- very few ny shops cook their sauce. try and find some scalfani crushed tomatoes, dump into a mesh sieve, drain well and then push the tomatoes through the sieve with the back of a wooden spoon into a bowl. at the end of the process, the sieve will have tomato skin and seeds which can be discarded, the bowl will contain a thin sauce. taste the sauce and add a dash of oregano and a pinch of salt. taste again and then use the sauce in the bake. from there you can vary the oregano/salt and try other ingredients like grated hard cheese, olive oil and sugar. we have a long thread around ny sauce: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48058.0
- are you weighing your ingredients including sauce and cheese? how much are you using?
- on the grande, your best bet is to ask pizza shops to sell you some. i pay $5 a pound from my local shop.

good luck!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:09:44 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline radstronomical

• Game Developer and Pizza Admirer
    • Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 10:49:15 AM »
- on the grande, your best bet is to ask pizza shops to sell you some. i pay $5 a pound from my local shop.

Wow, I love this idea. Going hunting this friday.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »
suggest you call first to see who has grande, if they'll sell you some and the price. I worked through about 7 places in fl before I found someone that had it. My experience has been just about everyone is willing to sell mozz. In the end, it works out to less $ than our local grocery store mozz. See if anyone has east coast blend, that's my favorite.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:36:02 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien