A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC guy makes NYC pie  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
Re: NYC guy makes NYC pie
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
My steel is a round one and 16" in diameter so thats how i get away with pulling the screen earlier. I've had to wait 4 minutes before before it was set enough to transfer to steel. Since you're using a smaller steel maybe just keep it around 4 minutes!

Thanks - will do.  I am going to add a little LDM, which I think will help.  Maybe what I will do is turn the oven off at 3 minutes (or 3:30) and turn the broiler on.  Being an electric oven, it takes a few seconds for the top element to fire up, so maybe I can use that time to my advantage and have that be the time that I am working on transferring from disc to steel.  I did take your tip of using a slightly lower oven temp than maxing it out at 550.  This seems to give the advantage of letting me preheat the oven at a given temp, but then still having the ability to increase the temp, just as I am inserting the pie.  This way - I know the bottom element will be on. 

Once again - your pies look gorgeous.  To clarify - your second pie (the half cheese/half pepp Sicilian / Grandma) is also the same dough recipe as your round?  Do you par-bake those first?

As an FYI - I made a flavor breakthrough the other day on my round pie.  I feel like it is basically where I want it to be (wasn't sure I would ever be able to say that) for sauce/cheese, and I think I am in striking distance with the crust.  I am going to refine my recipe a few more times to make sure I have it nailed down.  Once I do, I would like to work on aesthetics a bit.  This is where I think I am going to ask for your help.  I am going to want to pick your brain for some details on dressing / baking the pie.  HammetJr as well - his pies look different from yours, but they also seem to look perfect.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »
Those pies all look terrific!!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you try the sauce on the round pie.
Matt

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2021, 03:26:22 PM »
First pies of the new year!

Changed things up a bit and used TxCraig's NY dough formulation after reading the thread about user Novawaly's bubble problems using it, but Re-reading Craig's thread and admiring the photos made me want to try it out!

The crispiness achieved using this formula was great. I made two pies, I had trouble opening the first ball and eventually tore a hole in it transferring from screen to steel mid-bake. Still was delicious - though I'm only posting the second pie photos here ;). Second ball opened beautifully and was probably the most even stretch i've gotten thus far.

4 mins on screen, 2-3 mins on steel. I think I got the oven up to nearly 600 degrees, the thermometer I have hanging in my oven only goes to 550 and it was "off the charts". Need to get an IR Thermometer to see exact steel temp soon.

Used up the last of my Grande East Coast Blend, as well as the last of my 711 tomatoes on this pie.

The sauce I made this time was maybe a bit over seasoned and I don't think I like the method of slow cooking half the sauce (as I explained earlier) for regular pies. It still worked and was good but I'm really excited to crack open the can of Alta Cucina I have on deck and start again - want to try just salt and a touch of EVOO next time and then hit the pie with oregano post-bake and see how I like it. Feel like I'm maybe just doing TOO much and need to let the nice tomatoes sing on their own!

Pepperoni was some leftovers I had from recent bakes, not very good but wanted to use it up. Will grab some Rosa Grande next time I hit Sansone to re-up on my cheese, which will be Grande Whole Milk Mozz this time instead of ECB. Curious to see if I notice much of a difference.

Anyway, it was great. I'm hitting a sort of level plane now where pies are coming out uniform and taste a little better each time but there's always something missing, and I'm not getting discouraged but need to desperately crack this code and I think the code is the sauce.

Some cool news though - a good friend who works at a metal shop is making me a custom 3/4" steel to fit the exact dimensions of my oven rack which will ideally eliminate my need for any sort of screen and i'll be launching pies with no worries of overshooting this round 16" steel I have now. Very excited about that. Pic unfinished steel attached.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2021, 12:35:08 PM »
Saved myself a trip to Sansone by asking nicely at a local spot :)

15 bucks!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »

15 bucks!

Wow! That's amazing, easy and great price!

Matt

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:21 PM »

15 bucks!

Nice score!
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »

15 bucks!

Nice.  My local guys want to maintain 33% food cost.  I worked in grocery as a kid.  Profit was 3%.
John

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
4 mins on screen, 2-3 mins on steel. I think I got the oven up to nearly 600 degrees, the thermometer I have hanging in my oven only goes to 550 and it was "off the charts".

To clarify - you have the screen on the oven rack in a low position and then switch to the steel (removing from the screen) on an upper rack - yes?  Also, when you move to the upper rack, are you switching on the broiler or do you stay with the 550-ish oven setting?

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »
To clarify - you have the screen on the oven rack in a low position and then switch to the steel (removing from the screen) on an upper rack - yes?  Also, when you move to the upper rack, are you switching on the broiler or do you stay with the 550-ish oven setting?

No actually!! Rack is second from the lowest, steel is on that rack, screen goes right on top of steel initially and then i just transfer directly on steel once the pie is set. I have a gas oven with the heat source on the bottom and just a knob for the temp, and setting my dial to broil doesn't do anything but add temperature, which is how I'm able to get mine to like 600, I just preheat with the broil setting for an hour+!

Everyones oven is completely different and I haven't baked pizza in any other oven so I would just do whats best for yours at home - your pies look pretty damn good as is!

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2021, 01:47:34 PM »
No actually!! Rack is second from the lowest, steel is on that rack, screen goes right on top of steel initially and then i just transfer directly on steel once the pie is set. I have a gas oven with the heat source on the bottom and just a knob for the temp, and setting my dial to broil doesn't do anything but add temperature, which is how I'm able to get mine to like 600, I just preheat with the broil setting for an hour+!

Everyones oven is completely different and I haven't baked pizza in any other oven so I would just do whats best for yours at home - your pies look pretty damn good as is!

Oh!  That is interesting - so you are still getting browning and structure on the bottom crust after 4 min with it sitting on a screen that is sitting on the steel?

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
Oh!  That is interesting - so you are still getting browning and structure on the bottom crust after 4 min with it sitting on a screen that is sitting on the steel?

Yes for sure! I only use the screen for it to set and then transfer to steel as soon as possible. For me the screen is an extra step I'd like to eliminate when I get a bigger steel. My use of it is only out of a desire to get a pie the exact size of my 16" round steel. if my steel was rectangular, or square, and I didn't risk a mess every time I launched a pie I'd never use a screen.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2021, 01:58:04 PM »
Tried Chris Graff recipe for same day dough on Saturday.  Never made a same day dough before, so didn't know what to expect, but the recipe got really good reviews, so I gave it a shot.  The pizza looked pretty good, but the flavor and texture was not there for me, it was kinda bland with no crunch factor.  Maybe something had to do with cooking it on the Oonie Koda16, it was a 8min bake with the stone ranging from 735F to 550F.  Could have been the 3% oil or LDM, not to sure, maybe next time I will cut back on the oil and bake in the mid 600's, any feed back would be appreciated.  Anyway it sure was fun trying!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:01:09 PM by vincentoc13 »

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2021, 03:15:37 PM »
Tried Chris Graff recipe for same day dough on Saturday.  Never made a same day dough before, so didn't know what to expect, but the recipe got really good reviews, so I gave it a shot.  The pizza looked pretty good, but the flavor and texture was not there for me, it was kinda bland with no crunch factor.  Maybe something had to do with cooking it on the Oonie Koda16, it was a 8min bake with the stone ranging from 735F to 550F.  Could have been the 3% oil or LDM, not to sure, maybe next time I will cut back on the oil and bake in the mid 600's, any feed back would be appreciated.  Anyway it sure was fun trying!!

Looks really good! Sorry to hear the flavor wasn't there for you. I'm baking on a steel in my home oven and I always am able to get good crunch, but I always bake my pies on the well-done side (personal preference). I usually bake at 550-600. You could certainly try taking the oil down to 2%, and the LDM down to 1% and see if that helps!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »
Looks awesome!!!   Dont be discouraged by same day changing the crisp factor.   It has the potential to be just as crispy as cold ferment.  A factor in crispness is how fermented the dough is, and thats harder to nail down with a fast moving dough at room temp. 

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2021, 06:36:03 PM »
Looks really good! Sorry to hear the flavor wasn't there for you. I'm baking on a steel in my home oven and I always am able to get good crunch, but I always bake my pies on the well-done side (personal preference). I usually bake at 550-600. You could certainly try taking the oil down to 2%, and the LDM down to 1% and see if that helps!
I'm really thinking about purchasing a baking steel, but not too sure yet, Tony G recommends two, bottom and top rack.  Would you use two or are you fine with one?
Looks awesome!!!   Dont be discouraged by same day changing the crisp factor.   It has the potential to be just as crispy as cold ferment.  A factor in crispness is how fermented the dough is, and thats harder to nail down with a fast moving dough at room temp. 
Thanks! it was my first shot at it, so I'm definitely going for it again.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2021, 07:48:29 AM »
I'm really thinking about purchasing a baking steel, but not too sure yet, Tony G recommends two, bottom and top rack.  Would you use two or are you fine with one?

I have a stone and a steel, and I would say that having two gives you flexibility.  Right now, I use both for the Sicilians that I do because I am looking for super crisp on the bottom which is obviously harder in a pan.  For the rounds, I will either use a screen and then transfer to the steel or just use the steel by itself.  But - having options to try different combinations is really important IMO.  You can learn what works best in your oven by adjusting rack positions, when to move from stone to steel or vice versa and so on.

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2021, 11:46:41 PM »

Those amounts of oil/LDM are for a home oven. 525F (no fan) is about the sweet spot for me on 1/2" steel. Your pizza looks good, though!

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2021, 03:29:45 PM »
Those amounts of oil/LDM are for a home oven. 525F (no fan) is about the sweet spot for me on 1/2" steel. Your pizza looks good, though!
I appreciate the info!  I'm seriously thinking about getting a baking steel, if I do, will most likely try to sell my Koda 16.  Thanks for the kudos!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
Last night's attempt!

16", 62% Hydration, 48hr CF using the Joe Rosenthal formula (https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza)
Some of the best dough I've handled thus far, might get stuck on this one for a while. Really tasty, and didn't miss the LDMP.

Grande WMLM Mozz, Alta Cucina tomatoes through a food mill on the fine plate with salt, evoo, and grated garlic. Oregano down on top of the sauce on the pie before cheese application. Some Wegman's brand cupping pepperoni. Frankie's 457 Olive Oil pre- bake then Grana Padana post-bake.

600F on Baking Steel. 4 mins on screeen (atop steel), 2-3 directly on Steel.

I liked this pie. Though still tastes very similar to the last ones i've done, and not much of a step up in my sauce dept. I also dont know if I noticed THAT much of a difference between the Grande WM vs. ECB, but I think I like the WM better. I also yielded smaller dough balls than I would have liked this time. Something like 440g for a 16" pie - I would've been happier if it was closer to 475.

I don't know how some of you home-pizza veterans have not driven yourselves crazy over sauce recipes. First time using Alta Cucina's and I liked them, but something is still off. The tomato flavor is just not jumping out at me. I wonder if I should be combining two different types of tomatoes. I've heard of people combining 711 and Alta Cucina. I have a can of Mutti in my cupboard that I might mill and combine 50/50 with Alta's next time.. Also - do you think milling just the whole tomatoes and discarding the juice from the Alta's would've been a better move than keeping the juices? I know I want a thin sauce, but I wonder if I'm diluting the tomato flavor from the actual whole tomatoes this way?

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2021, 10:59:52 PM »
Last night's attempt!

16", 62% Hydration, 48hr CF using the Joe Rosenthal formula (https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza)
Some of the best dough I've handled thus far, might get stuck on this one for a while. Really tasty, and didn't miss the LDMP.

Grande WMLM Mozz, Alta Cucina tomatoes through a food mill on the fine plate with salt, evoo, and grated garlic. Oregano down on top of the sauce on the pie before cheese application. Some Wegman's brand cupping pepperoni. Frankie's 457 Olive Oil pre- bake then Grana Padana post-bake.

600F on Baking Steel. 4 mins on screeen (atop steel), 2-3 directly on Steel.

I liked this pie. Though still tastes very similar to the last ones i've done, and not much of a step up in my sauce dept. I also dont know if I noticed THAT much of a difference between the Grande WM vs. ECB, but I think I like the WM better. I also yielded smaller dough balls than I would have liked this time. Something like 440g for a 16" pie - I would've been happier if it was closer to 475.

I don't know how some of you home-pizza veterans have not driven yourselves crazy over sauce recipes. First time using Alta Cucina's and I liked them, but something is still off. The tomato flavor is just not jumping out at me. I wonder if I should be combining two different types of tomatoes. I've heard of people combining 711 and Alta Cucina. I have a can of Mutti in my cupboard that I might mill and combine 50/50 with Alta's next time.. Also - do you think milling just the whole tomatoes and discarding the juice from the Alta's would've been a better move than keeping the juices? I know I want a thin sauce, but I wonder if I'm diluting the tomato flavor from the actual whole tomatoes this way?
Now thats one hellava great lookin pie! Alta Cicina are my go to tomatoes, love the flavor.