A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How much cheese and sauce on a 16 NY style pie street slice type  (Read 712 times)

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
Hi.

I guess this question has already been discussed. Last night I watched the Munchies video on NY pizza to try to figure it out but I noticed so many ways of topping a cheese pizza in 20 minutes than now Iím more at a loss.

Plus in my country the trend is to overload the pizza with cheese so I find it hard to figure out how much cheese is enough.

Alex

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: How much cheese and sauce on a 16 NY style pie street slice type
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »
a good place to start is:
cheese = radius in ounces
sauce  = radius/2 in ounces

so for a 16 inch pie, 8 ounces of cheese and 4 ounces of sauce. experiment by adding or subtracting an ounce or two to find your sweet spot.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:50:03 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline munselln8

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
I concur with "Desperation". I use 8 oz.  (by weight) of WM Mozz. as for sauce, I haven't measured yet mainly because I 1) haven't worked out a consistent sauce that is the same weight / volume yet and 2) I just freakin' forget everytime to try measuring it. But I would guess I am using closer to 6 oz.
I would say start with 4 oz. and if it seems a bit dry for your taste, bump it 2 oz. at a time until you hit the spot :-) Enjoy! Happy Pizza!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »
I go much heavier than many of my colleagues here. I use 9oz for 14". Been a while since I've made 16", but I'd guess that I'd go with 12oz.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51924.msg630441#msg630441

Matt

Offline ZFightingMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »
Making a pie tonight and going to try out this rule-of-thumb for the first time!

A couple thoughts:
  • How do you find this scales for significantly smaller (or larger) than 16" pies?  I ask because the size of the pizza scales with the square of the radius, while this rule scales linearly.  For example, a 12" pie is only 56.25% the size of a 16" pie, but this would call for 75% of the sauce and cheese.  I'd guess for anything in the 14"-18" range, it probably doesn't matter much, but if you start getting down into 8", or up to 24", you might need to make some adjustments.
  • I've noticed that this seems to be significantly less sauce than other recipes call for.  For example, on the Serious Eats NY sauce recipe, it calls for a sauce using a full 28oz can of tomatoes to make "2-4 12" pizzas".  By this calculation, you'd want a maximum of 12oz of sauce for 4 12" pies.  Other recipes are less extreme, but all seem to call for at least 2x this much.

Experimentation and personal taste are going to be the deciding factor in the end.  The real reason I'm asking is because the large variation makes me think there's something I'm missing somewhere.

Offline ZFightingMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »
After posting this, I think I've figured out my issue with the 2nd question there.  I missed the line in the sauce recipe where it says to cook "until reduced by 1/2".  Dividing the mass by 1/2 gives numbers somewhat more in line with what I would expect.  :)

wordpress