A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 272794 times)

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #800 on: April 12, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »
That is a newer posting than the one I thought was the latest.  I would think you couldn't go wrong with that formula, look at the pictures of the crust in that post.  I am going to make one soon.

If you search for home run inn you'll see there is a thread for it - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6112.0

As to Uno DD, you may have to dig a little deeper for that.  There's a ton of posts on this forum with recipes galore, many very hidden.

Thanks Hermit, I did find the HRI, with loowaters' and Jackie Tran's formulas. Seems that one is nailed down as well, but I read that thread backwards. If anyone has an idea where the UNO's DD is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Like I said, I'm not interested in the "best" or the "most authentic", because I don't have that type of equipment at home. When I made pizzas, we had a big oven with four or five decks (I don't know what it was called) that could hold a little more than four 16" pizzas on each deck. The decks rotated vertically, and you turned the rotation off as you slid the pizzas off of the peel into the oven. I think it must have been set at 500 degrees or so. Very well lit inside so you could see the pizzas well.

We used a roller, simple flour on each side, rolled close enough, then we used three (I am quite certain that they were pot lids, but who knows) sizers, and just cut the dough around them with pizza cutters. The pizzas were made directly on the wooden peels, using lots of breadcrumbs to keep them from sticking. Needless to say, we got ~quite~ proficient with both the metal and the wooden peels. Putting pizzas in or taking them out without stopping the oven, moving them around on the decks, etc. Anything dumb you could do with them, we did it.

It was sort of like The Three Musketeers. Well, The Three Muskteers if d'Artagnan had lost that first duel with Rochefort, and Athos and Aramis had just knifed that dandy Porthos and been done with it.

Offline sdhberg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #801 on: April 13, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
Thanks Hermit, I did find the HRI, with loowaters' and Jackie Tran's formulas. Seems that one is nailed down as well, but I read that thread backwards. If anyone has an idea where the UNO's DD is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Like I said, I'm not interested in the "best" or the "most authentic", because I don't have that type of equipment at home. When I made pizzas, we had a big oven with four or five decks (I don't know what it was called) that could hold a little more than four 16" pizzas on each deck. The decks rotated vertically, and you turned the rotation off as you slid the pizzas off of the peel into the oven. I think it must have been set at 500 degrees or so. Very well lit inside so you could see the pizzas well.

We used a roller, simple flour on each side, rolled close enough, then we used three (I am quite certain that they were pot lids, but who knows) sizers, and just cut the dough around them with pizza cutters. The pizzas were made directly on the wooden peels, using lots of breadcrumbs to keep them from sticking. Needless to say, we got ~quite~ proficient with both the metal and the wooden peels. Putting pizzas in or taking them out without stopping the oven, moving them around on the decks, etc. Anything dumb you could do with them, we did it.

It was sort of like The Three Musketeers. Well, The Three Muskteers if d'Artagnan had lost that first duel with Rochefort, and Athos and Aramis had just knifed that dandy Porthos and been done with it.

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. I have been looking for a Malnati's dough recipe since I first tried their pizza in February. But I digress,

I have a recipe for Uno's that is pretty close to the mark, as least as I remember it. We used to have an Uno's here in town, but they closed 15 years ago. If found this recipe in 2003 and made it a couple of times. It was apparently created/adapted by Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet).  So, here you go - hope it's close to what you are looking for.

Uno Dough Recipe

* 2 packages rapid rise dry yeast
    * 2 cups warm water
    * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    * 4 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1/2 cup cornmeal
    * 5 1/2 cups flour

In the bowl of a stand mixer (KitchenAid), dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the vegetable oil, olive oil, cornmeal, and half of the flour. Beat for 10 minutes. Attach the dough hook and mix in the remaining flour. Knead for several minutes with the mixer. (Note: because the dough is very rich and moist, it would be difficult to do this by hand.)

Remove dough and place on a clean countertop. Cover with a very large metal bowl and allow to rise until double in bulk. Punch down and allow to rise again. Punch down a second time and you are ready to make pizza!

Oil your deep-dish pizza pan. Depending on the size of your pan, place some dough in the pan and push it out to the edges using your fingers. Put in enough dough so that you can run the crust right up the side of the pan. Make it about 1/8-inch thick throughout the pan.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #802 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
There's a ton of posts on this forum with recipes galore, many very hidden.

Or you can look at the stickies.  For example, the DD sticky has 14 tried-and-true formulations. 

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #803 on: April 20, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »
I made a malnati clone based on BTB's recipe and instructions here - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6480.msg249211#msg249211

Wow, all I can say is this crust is king.  Never had a flavor in pizza crust so rich and perfect to balance the entire bite (sausage seems to be key?).  This is a 12" pizza, 14oz of cheese (I was told to use more by my testers), otherwise the rest of the pie seemed great.  I used Cento SM Organic whole peeled tomatoes (28oz can with basil removed, juice reduced and added back to the tomatoes=18oz finished sauce) with only 1/2 tsp of salt.  Full coverage hormel pepperoni and italian sausage crumbles, then about 0.5oz reggiano on top.  Next I'm going to do raw sausage and whole milk mozz slices instead of shredded.

Offline lifted74

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #804 on: May 01, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
Decided to give this one a try this past weekend.

I used the formulation on the very first page, reply #19 (I used regular AP flour w/ 25% Semolina) scaled for a 16" pie with DD dough Calculator:

Flour (100%):    533.01 g  |  18.8 oz | 1.18 lbs
Water (47%):    250.52 g  |  8.84 oz | 0.55 lbs
ADY (.7%):    3.73 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.99 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Olive Oil (6%):    31.98 g | 1.13 oz | 0.07 lbs | 7.11 tsp | 2.37 tbsp
Corn Oil (18.5%):    98.61 g | 3.48 oz | 0.22 lbs | 7.3 tbsp | 0.46 cups
Butter/Margarine (1%):    5.33 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.13 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
Sugar (1.5%):    8 g | 0.28 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.01 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
Cream of Tartar (.75%):    4 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.33 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
Total (175.45%):   935.17 g | 32.99 oz | 2.06 lbs | TF = 0.125

Frankly this thing was a monster ;D

As other people have experienced, my finished dough ball was extremely oily. It was the consistency of a wet, greasy sponge. I wasn't sure if this was right; I feel like I added too much oil at once and maybe it hadn't mixed fully into the dough but I decided to roll with it.

It went directly into the fridge for 24 hours. I checked after a couple hours and it was definitely rising so that was a good sign ::)

I used a 16 " cake pan I originally picked up on Amazon to do PH style pan pizza. Oiled it up with Crisco and spread it out into the pan. It spread into the pan really easily.

Added a layer of sliced cheese, mozzarella & provolone. When I started applying the sausage and sauce, I realized I underestimated how much toppings I'd need to fill this thing. I reckoned that's probably part of why you usually see these being made much smaller. All that sliced cheese gets pricey :'(

So the sausage & sauce coverage was a little more sparce than I'd intended. In hindsight, any more may have been too much. I used a bunch of grated Parmesan to fill out the top.

I have decided thus far that these S&W Tomatoes are my go to for sauce. Just added some salt, pepper & olive oil.

Cooked @ 425 for 40 minutes, center rack on my stone.

I definitely still prefer NY style, but this was absolutely delicious. The cheese tasted fantastic, with all the sausage & pepperoni oil mixed in. The outside was crunchy, and the crumb was very similar in texture and taste to cornbread. Is this what it's supposed to be?

Thanks so much to BTB for the awesome recipe!!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:38:05 PM by lifted74 »

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #805 on: May 01, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
Nice malnati clone, 16" wow yeah I thought 12" took a lot of toppings.  :drool:  Great job, what did you think of the sauce?  The dough you describe is exactly what my dough feels like.  You can see youtube videos of mark malnati ripping a chunk of dough easily from the ball.  It's a lot like a pie/pastry crust.  On just a 12" pie I need nearly 2x 28oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes strained, over a pound of cheese and whatever else we decide to add to the weight  :-D  Personally I am taking a better liking to deep dish pizza than lasagna.

Offline lifted74

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #806 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »
Personally I am taking a better liking to deep dish pizza than lasagna.

Me too. Thanks a lot Hermit. Your's looks awesome as well.  :drool:

Been loving the sauce. Have used these the last couple times, and the added oregano & basil is real nice. Just added 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper & 2 T olive oil. So easy.

Next time, I'd definitely bake it probably 5-10 minutes less. With the size I was concerned about it cooking all the way through so I erred towards the lower temp / longer cook.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:30:28 PM by lifted74 »

Offline dougm

« Reply #807 on: July 31, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
My First attempt at a Lou's clone..

After reading for days on this thread and Pythonics thread, plus watching all Lou's vids I could find, I decided to make an attempt at this.  I live in the Chicago area so I can go to Lou's but I like making pizza occasionally and in a few years I am moving and will be without all these great choices.

Dough -
Flour (100%):    185 g  |  6.53 oz | 0.41 lbs
Water (45.9459%):    85 g  |  3 oz | 0.19 lbs
ADY (.61057%):    1.13 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.3 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
Salt (.75424%):    1.4 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.25 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Olive Oil (3.784%):    7 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.56 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Corn Oil (18.919%):    35 g | 1.23 oz | 0.08 lbs | 7.78 tsp | 2.59 tbsp
Sugar (.53874%):    1 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.25 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Total (170.55245%):   315.53 g | 11.13 oz | 0.7 lbs | TF = 0.121118

Bloomed the ADY for about 10mins in ~105 F water

Fermented for 10 hours at room temp, it had a nice alcohol fermented aroma to it.

Sausage - Homemade  - Pythonics recipe sans Marjoram (forgot to buy)
1lb Ground pork shoulder- so roughly 80/20
1.5 tsp sugar
8.5g Kosher salt
1 large clove microplaned garlic
Mixed this the night before to allow the flavors to meld.

Sauce
6in1 Ground tomatoes - drained
Muir Glen  Whole Peeled San Marzano style tomoatoes - drained
I drained both about 15-20 mins and just combined them after breaking up the whole tomatoes to look similar to Lou's chunky sauce.
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp - honey
pinch of oregano

Assembly
9" Chicago Metallic pan 2" straight sides
wiped pan with Crisco on bottom and sides - I wanted butter flavored Crisco but didn't want to buy the large vat of it.
pressed down the dough and brought it up about 1.5 inches on the sides.

Cheese - Used sliced Dutch Farms low moisture part skim about 8-9oz worth  + 2 slices BelGioioso Sharp Provolone broken up into small pieces

Sausage, roughly 1/3 lb's

Sauce - applied using hands - just like they do at Lou's!   Also many of the posts I have seen on here look like a swimming pool of sauce.

Mushrooms- Fresh Sliced White button

Pepperoni -  Hormel pre-sliced - Nuked for 35 seconds in microwave to remove some of the grease

Sprinkled the top with BelGioioso Parmesan cheese

Oven
Preheated with pizza stone to 500 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour
Put pizza on top of stone  in middle rack.
Rotated 180 degrees after 12 mins
at 24 mins I moved to top rack for about 5-6 mins

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:42:03 PM by dougm »

Offline dougm

« Reply #808 on: July 31, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »
Many thanks to BTB and Pythonic for all there hard work on this plus many others that contributed.

Things that I would change next time.

Cook a little hotter, I think my oven is a little bit low temp wise and the crust need to be cooked a little longer.
Sauce might need some minor tweeks but the texture and flavor were excellent, and the chunkiness was so Lou's!

Sausage was missing something as well, maybe it was the Marjoram??

All in all I was in heaven when I ate it and could not believe how good it was.  At some point I may order another Lou's and make my own and try side by side.

Doug

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #809 on: July 31, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
All in all I was in heaven when I ate it and could not believe how good it was.  At some point I may order another Lou's and make my own and try side by side.

Doug
Doug,

You did a very nice job, and it looks like all of the reading you did paid off. I would love to see what you discover if you are able to do a side-by-side comparison of one of your clones with a real Lou's pizza.

Peter

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #810 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
doug!  that looks fantastic!!!!! nice job!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

wordpress