A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: September 2020 Monthly Challenge: Thin Crust Pizzas  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: September 2020 Monthly Challenge: Thin Crust Pizzas
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
First time trying this style:

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »
Very Nice!!!  A whole lot better than my first (and 2nd) attempt.
FGM 800-B

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
Peter, we're still waiting for yours! You do have half the month remaining.  ;)
Hans

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 06:35:13 PM »
Peter, we're still waiting for yours! You do have half the month remaining.  ;)
Hans,

Quite likely  but nothing fancy. It has been too hot to bake pizzas much here in Texas.

Peter

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:36 PM »
Peter, In Denver last week we went overnight from the high 90's to snow in the A.M. :o Hoping it will cool down again so I can this style again!

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 10:44:59 PM »
First time trying this style:

Looks good and I'm sure it tasted good!

I'm just an old civil engineer, so I've been told I'm not into aesthetics, but it might look better if you scaled down the size of the topping. Like by 50%?

Offline ncpaul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »
Garvey's Chicago Thin

Don't know how I got the three large bubbles

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 10:29:19 AM »
The weather cooled down yesterday so I decided to take a stab at a thin crust pizza. For my purposes, I decided to use a frozen thin crust Margherita pizza as purchased from my local supermarket but embellish it with more tomato, cheese, olive oil, grated cheese, and fresh basil. As can be seen in the first photo below, the particular Margherita pizza I used is indicated to have an Ultra Thin Crust. The ingredients indicated for the pizza are Olive oil based sauce topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, vine ripened tomatoes and basil. The basil is clearly dried.

I also checked the ingredients statement presented in the Nutrition Facts and they are clean with few additives and the like (see https://www.fooducate.com/product/Signature-Select-Margherita-Pizza-Ultra-Thin-Crust/5633C757-501C-674E-4BFD-BB8F889A7A62). The size of the pizza was around 10.5 inches, which is quite common for a bar or tavern style pizza, and its nominal weight was 12 ounces (340 grams). My recollection is that I purchased the pizza on sale for around $3.29. The second photo shows the pizza as wrapped.

Before using the pizza, I first rearranged the disheveled tomato bits and cheese bits to spread them more uniformly across the pizza. I then added one small fresh tomato that I diced and drained, and about an ounce more of mozzarella cheese that was also diced. To keep the rim of the crust from baking too fast and possibly charring, I made sure to distribute the added tomato and cheese pieces as closely to the outer rim of the pizza as possible. The additions of the tomato and cheese increased the weight of the unbaked pizza to about 428 grams, or a bit over 15 ounces.

To bake the pizza, I followed the instructions set forth on the pizza box, which said to bake the pizza at 425 degrees F for about 12-14 minutes or until the cheese in the center of the pizza was melted and the crust was golden. However, because I had added more toppings, I baked the pizza at the stated temperature in the center rack of my standard electric oven for 10 minutes and then moved the pizza to the top rack of my oven for another 2 minutes so that the top of the pizza would get more heat and help cook the added tomatoes and cheese. Lifting the pizza to the top rack also kept the bottom crust from browning too much, as noted below.

The finished baked pizza is shown in the third photo below, and was about 10 inches in diameter. The baked weight was around 411 grams. To finish the pizza, I drizzled some extra virgin olive oil across the pizza and then added fresh basil leaves from my garden. I then cut the pizza family style. The fourth photo below shows the finished pizza.

To sample the pizza, I placed a couple pieces of the pizza on a plate as shown in the fifth photo and sprinkled more grated Parmesan pizza on them. There was no flop to the pieces. The pizza actually tasted quite good although I found that I liked drizzling some more extra virgin olive oil over the pieces. Also, and quite interestingly, the crust itself was neither crackery or crispy. I would say it was somewhere between the two textures. To show the bottom crust coloration of the pizza, I took a photo of a piece, as shown in the sixth photo.

After I had sampled a few pieces of the pizza, I decided to take another piece and put a dollop of pesto on it that I had made using pistachios. That also tasted quite good but next time I will spread the pesto more evenly across the slice. The last photo shows the pesto slice.

Overall, I was pleased with the results, given that I was starting from a frozen pizza. I think that embellishing the pizza as I described greatly improved its taste and satisfaction. And the total cost was only about $3.50 by my estimation ;D.

Peter

Offline radstronomical

• Game Developer and Pizza Admirer
    • Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »
Wanted to try a bar style crust but don't have the round pan. Dough was serious eats crispy bar-style pizza recipe. My oven is very small and only accommodates half-sheet pans, so they also ended up a little oblong.  That said, the first pie was unbelievable - Fresh clams, dry spanish chorizo, parsley, garlic, and parm. It's a topping combo I've been wanting to try for a while and it knocked my socks off. And the crust came out perfect. Worth the work shucking.

Second pie was fine but disappointing -- Too much sauce and cheese maybe, or the oven temp dropped too much when I took out the first pie. The crust was soft and frankly reminded me of ellio's pizza (which a part of me loves but... not what I wanted here). I wanted to leave it in longer, but some cheese was spilling onto the stone and the last time that happened our smoke detector went off four times in 40 minutes, so I pulled it. I also found that pickled jalapenos on their own aren't my favorite topping, the green-bell-pepper-like flavor comes through more than the heat, maybe because i quick pickled them at home. Still tasty especially with a bit of hot honey, but disappointing especially next to the clam pie, which I would happily make every weekend.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:51:22 AM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
Following up on my last post, I wanted to report on the results of my consuming the leftover pieces of the pizza I discussed in my last post.

Today, I decided to reheat the leftover slices for lunch. I did this using a frying pan in which I heated the leftover slices in accordance with member Jonas's post at Reply 3 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=61063.msg610264#msg610264

In my case, however, on my stove I used a higher temperature than low-medium to reheat the pieces of pizza. So some testing of reheat temperatures may be needed to determine the optimum method.

After I reheated the leftover pieces, I drizzled extra virgin olive oil (I used the California Olive Ranch Special Reserve EVOO) over the pieces and then sprinkled grated Parmesan over the pieces. The verdict? I actually liked the reheated slices better than the original, and especially so for the larger rectangular shaped pieces. Even the texture of the reheated crust was different, with a combination of crispy and cracker like textures. I think I could fool people into thinking that I was serving them a pizza from a pizzeria.

The above experience leads me to think about making the same pizzas in the future but not eat the pieces coming out of the oven. Instead, I would eat the pizza the next or following days using the reheating method mentioned above. For a future effort, I might even try to find a can of San Marzanos to add a an even more authentic contribution to my modified version of a Margherita pizza if I can find a can at the supermarkets near me.

Peter