A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Little Star and Blue Line similarities  (Read 137 times)

Offline damp1house

• I Love Pizza!
Little Star and Blue Line similarities
« on: September 10, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
I'm new the forums and trying to create something similar to Little Star/Blue Line which has a very distinct deep dish dough.  I haven't seen much discussion on this topic.  Has anyone had any success or failures trying to come up with something similar?

Thanks!

Bob

Offline saucelord

• Pizza Forever
Re: Little Star and Blue Line similarities
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
Sorry I misread your post. You're looking for a clone recipe of Little star. Hmmmm.. that's a tough one, need to have it a few more times. I do think it has less oil in the crust than typical Chicago styles, and there is more of a texture in the dough that maybe comes from semolina or something, it's not as pie crusty dense IMO to Lous or Gino's... but I mainly do thin crust so I'm DD expert.

Hey-

You talking about Little star in the Bay Area? I've tried the one in the mission and the one in oakland. It's REAL good, but tbh I think it is missing that "something special" we're all trying to capture.

That being said poke around over here:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36964.0

This a list of the popular Chicago Deep Dishes. Try one of the Lou Malnati clones. I tried one, but mixed the dough too much and it came out too bready. Many people report success with minimal dough handling (also it's really greasy and weird compared to thin crust dough  :P) also I had a real thin cheap unseasoned cake pan. You need something thicker.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 02:34:40 PM by saucelord »
There are those of you that have merely adopted the pizza. I was born into it...molded by it.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T