Pizza steel thickness recommendation for a hot small oven.

Started by Pizzaonmymind, September 14, 2020, 04:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pizzaonmymind

I have a query regarding the thickness of baking steel. I did try searching the forum but could not find similar situations.

I have a small broiler oven which fits only one tray( about 14inch square). It has a heating element on top and bottom. The tray sits right above the heating element with a clearance of less than 1/2 inch. The heating element on top is about 3 inches from the tray. My tray is quite thin and heats up quickly but not evenly. What thickness of A 46 steel should I replace it with? Will a 1/4 inch suffice or should I go for a 3/8 inch?

The steel can slide in on the same slot as the tray. Both the top and bottom heating elements are directly exposed to the tray. The wattage of the oven as claimed by the manufacturer is 3000w but I am not too sure of those numbers. The oven does get quite hot though. The infrared thermometer has read temperatures of between 350C to 400C. But not evenly all around the tray. I'm hoping that a thicker steel would fix the issue. It would be great if someone could suggest an ideal thickness I should aim for.

Pizza_Not_War

Thicker takes longer to heat but holds the heat better through multiple pizzas. If you are only doing 1 or 2 go for the thinner steel. Don't know if thickness fixes uneven heating.

Pizzaonmymind

Thicker takes longer to heat but holds the heat better through multiple pizzas. If you are only doing 1 or 2 go for the thinner steel. Don't know if thickness fixes uneven heating.

I get that and I'm hoping that anything thicker than my current tray should have better spread of heat. I've also  been reading up on the forum and I hear some say that a steel would be a bad idea for higher temperatures. Burnt bottoms? So if I still have to go for steel, maybe it's better to get thicker ?

A D V E R T I S E M E N T