A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Can anyone help me figure out this issue  (Read 243 times)

Offline Shass002

• I Love Pizza!
Can anyone help me figure out this issue
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what's going wrong with some of my dough. We were supposed to do a training class for detroit style pizza but covid completely threw a wrench in everything. For the most part we have it down pretty well but after we par bake some of the crusts turn out like this even though most are perfectly flat. Anyone know what we are doing to cause this? :( Thanks in advance!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Can anyone help me figure out this issue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
I suggest you post some details to assist in troubleshooting, recipe, whole process, oven, temp, etc...
FGM 800-B

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
I cant tell if im looking at the bottom or the top of the crusts, but if these are the tops of the crust and they are sinking the problem is over proofing, dropping the pans too hard onto the oven floor as they are going into the oven, or a combination of the two.   

If your dough has grown in a pan and filled with air it will fall if physically knocked down.  The wetter the dough is the easier this is to do.  Mixing longer could help with this if the dough isnt fully developed.

Over proofing will cause them to become weak and eventually completely fall on their own, so what your seeing here may just be the beginning of that.

If I have this backwards and I am looking at the bottoms of the pizza, these are caused by air bubbles getting trapped under the dough while panning.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:23:59 AM by scott r »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 12:27:26 PM »
Do the crusts look normal immediately when coming out of the oven? If so the issue is due to collapse resulting from insufficient bake.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Shass002

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »
I'm sorry I should have clarified this is the bottom. Will post the whole process this afternoon just have to drive to work. Thanks all!

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »
This is from over proofing and id say not enough oil in the bottom of the pan to get a good color. What i'd say to do here is to pan the dough fresh out of the fridge. Just oil the pan (butter crisco is really helpful here), plop the cold dough down and spread it out with your fingers till it retracts back some. Let it rest for 20 and then stretch it the remainder. The final proof in pan really depends on the room temp.

The pan will allow the dough to get to room temp much easier and more evenly then if you were just resting it at room temp and then panning. It looks like one area of your dough was just far more active/warmer then the rest. The dough also may have been spread unevenly. Air collects under the thinner parts. Cold dough helps combat this too.

I never par bake my Detroit pies. 

wordpress